“Party buffet” 5 of 5 bubbles

The White Horse
Ranked #16 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
England
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Party buffet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I cannot fault The white Horse after my mothers birthday party. All staff were attentive, friendly and unflustered. The buffet was plentiful, fresh and tasty and the restuarant leading onto the patio in the garden a perfect party venue.

Fantastic staff, lovely venue and brilliant food, don't hesitate to book for any function or event you have. Thank you to everyone.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank vlouises
WhiteHorseWelwyn, General Manager at The White Horse, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Justine,

Thank you for your review and your kind words regarding your Mothers birthday reception on Saturday 6th October, I only regret that I could not have been there myself to see how it went.

I'll make sure I pass your thanks and compliments to my staff, and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Adam Richardson

Knebworth, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We went for dinner on a Thursday night with my daughter and her boyfriend. The food was very well cooked, seasoned and presented and the service was Friendly, attentive but still pleasantly relaxed. They had a good musician on in the bar ho we watched after with a couple more drinks, and the whole evening proved good value for money and good fun. This was our third visit, and each time has been an excellent choice. Go here for a reliably good meal, good atmosphere and friendly staff service.

• Visited October 2012
hertfordshire
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I went to the white horse for my daughters birthday, we booked for sunday lunch as they state on the internet that this is probably the best carvery around....well let me tell you it is the worst carvery that I have ever had and the most expensive....when our party of seven were asked to go to the serving area, they said the turkey was all finished and we had to wait 5 mins for the chicken to come out...eventually they brought out 6 fried chicken breasts and the small amount of roast beef that was left....then they ran out of peas and then yorkshire puddings, my husband was last to be served and all he could have was the one remaining slice of beef, only 3 veg, roast potatoes no parsnips. and they had the ckeek to charge us full price....never again, my advice is give this a wide berth

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what you get”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Had the carvery with my two sons, wife and elderly nan. We often go out for Sunday roast and more often than not it's a carvery. We've been to the usual carvery places like Toby's , Crown and even few gastronpubs. We were expecting something little bit special, as the price per head was £12, which is on a dearer side for carvery. The staff were OK, but the food was disappointing. Meat was nice, but there was limited selection of vegetables in rather small serving dishes, roast potatoes were as if out of freezer bag- soft and chewy, and Yorkshire puddings were worst we've ever seen. Even my nan had to ask what they were, bless her! They were on a burnt side and soggy, which is probably hard to imagine. Gravy was like water. Puddings at nearly £6 were tasty but half the size, you'd get elsewhere.
If you gonna try to compete with the carvery kings, you gonna have to do a lot better than that. Thanks but no thanks.

2 Thank viera55
WhiteHorseWelwyn, General Manager at The White Horse, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear reviewer,

Sorry to hear about your disappointing visit to our village pub. We pride ourselves on our food and our service, and the 'rave reviews' we usually receive on our Sunday Carvery. Our Sunday Carvery, like the rest of our menu, is produced from the highest quality, locally sourced fresh produce, our meat from reputed farms and our desserts home made in our kitchens by our skilled chefs. We certainly don't regard ourselves in the same category as the 'Toby Carvery' for these reasons, and that is also why the price is a little more premium than other Carvery lunches out there. Nevertheless, I am humbled by your feedback, and would very much like a chance for us to redeem ourselves and hopefully change your mind. Please give me a ring at your convenience on 01438 714366. :-)

Adam Richardson
Luton, United Kingdom
“Not bad for a carvery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have to say that a carvery is not my normal choice for a meal out. However, this was a family get-together for 16 so a carvery seemed a good choice.

The choice of meat was beef or turkey. Both the joints and the veg were cooked well (not overcooked as can be the case with carvery food). The puddings came in generous portions and they had a nice selection of real ales on tap. The staff were polite and attentive but at £20 per head, not including drinks, it wasn't a cheap lunch.

The restaurant has 2 sittings on Sundays. If you're in a small group then it's not a problem but whan you're in a large crowd it can be quite rushed.

• Visited July 2012