“Best value locally....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plume of Feathers

Plume of Feathers
Ranked #11 of 21 Restaurants in Welwyn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Best value locally....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have eaten here many times with various friends and family and the food is consistently excellent value. Great views and in an area where there is not a great deal of choice of places to eat out, this one excels.

• Greek first
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“Worth the price of a pint and a packet of crisps.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

The Plume and Feathers at Tewin is certainly past it’s best. Long gone are the days when customers would drive out from North London to dine on a Saturday night, such was it’s reputation for food and service. The house specialty was a 500/750 grm rump or T-bone steak topped with triple eggs. Quite a challenge to eat with a hefty bill to meet!

Nowadays after several refits the Plume is your average village pub offering table service that sells beers, wines and budget food. No more fine dining to be had here.

The two redeeming features of the Plume are (a) It is a Green King pub and the landlord keeps a good cellar with decent ale. (b) The extensive beer garden, with views overlooking beautiful rolling Hertfordshire countryside. The beer garden is very popular during summer, when parents with young children take a respite whilst enjoying a drink with maybe their fish and chips or a hamburger.

Unless you lived fairly locally, were attending a cricket match or had simply dropped in for a pint when passing, I personally would not put myself out to visit the Plume. If you wanted a gastro pub in the countryside, there are better options within a very short drive.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Servicised
Hertford
“Much improved”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

After my last experience here with late food and an incredibly rude supervisor I didn't want to come again but was outvoted by my friends. What a difference! It is like a different pub. A bit busy but staff all very hospitable and helpful. The garden is one of the best I have been to. The food is obviously pre-prepared but edible and good for the price.

England
“It Just Gets Better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

It was over 40 years when I took my wife to this establishment, it was our wedding anniversary and I wanted to impress her. I remember the steak was the best I had ever had and after the meal I had a vintage port, it took me three months to pay off my Barclaycard! I visited today and how it has changed. The open one bar and the garden with the scenery is worth a few bob before you eat. For us oldens a three course meal for £6.75 no need for Barclaycard my pension can pay for that or have the two course for £5.25, very good value. The beer on draught is well kept and will be a nice jaunt to take the wife. I am looking forward to my meal;- Peppered smoked mackerel for starters and liver and onions for me and British beef and ale pie and treacle pudding for the wife £10.50 the lot seems good to me.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank EnglandFattyarbuckle
Welwyn Garden City
“Great food, beautiful garden”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We barely go anywhere else these days. The Plume serves good food (Steak and Ale pie and Fish and Chips particularly recommended), and we have never had any problems with service. The beer garden is enormous, with a large grassy area for kids to play on in the sunshine.

• Visited August 2012