“We felt invisible ”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited today for lunch.
On arriving we were told to sit where we liked.
There were 2 staff front of house.
There were only a small party of people in the lower area and 2 women with a young child who arrived just before us, and they only ordered chips.
The service was slow, the 2 staff seemed more concerned on getting set up for the evening and doing a table plan than concentrating on customers already there. Bearing in mind this was 1.30pm. The chap spent almost the whole time we were there on the phone, the girl who served us didn’t ask us how our food was before we’d finished, and on clearing our table simply asked “shall I take these away” rather than was everything ok with your meal?
We were not asked if we’d like dessert or coffee or any more drinks.
Getting attention to pay was even a struggle. I’m surprised people don’t do a runner to be honest.
We were only asked if everything was ok when we were paying. A bit late then.
This is my second visit in a month (with daughters) when things were very different, a lovely young man served us who was most polite and attentive, and the food was better quality.
It’s a lovely place with delicious food, but we felt invisible to say the least.
We both work in the tourist trade and if it were busy we’d understand, but this was very offhand service from both staff members, and for £35 for 2 mains and 2 drinks there is plenty more choice in Truro.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (467)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We came for a family birthday dinner at the weekend and was less than impressed. We ordered a bottle of wine which didn’t arrive for some time. Some of the dinners came out but there was so no cutlery on the table so all had to wait for the waiter to return to ask him for cutlery. Once all our meals arrived, three of us had unfortunately ordered the Seafood Mezze which turned out to be masses of flatbread and a very small amount of seafood. Complete con. On the arrival of our food we ordered another bottle of wine, which never ever arrived. We mentioned our complaints but it seemed to fall on deaf ears and no sign of anyone being in charge. Wouldn’t bother returning.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having heard lots of good reports about this restaurant I had been looking forward to visiting. My partner and I went with a friend last night. Once seated it took nearly 20 mins for a member of staff to take our drinks order. At the same time our food order was taken - it felt like we were being rushed through. Prior to our food arriving there were no condiments, cutlery or sauces on our table. While these things are arriving your meal is getting cold. Sadly mine was already luke warm when it arrived and despite avoiding making a complaint wherever possible, I felt compelled to. I had ordered the steak pie which came with mushy peas and mash. The peas and mash were tepid. I was offered the choice between replacing these and keeping the pie which would be quick or replacing the whole meal which would take about 15 mins. As the others in my party would have finished eating by then, I didn't want to be eating alone so I went for the partial option. It came out hot and was tasty, however it made me ill after so may the full replacement would have been the better option. The other meals in our group were average. We were offered dessert which we didn't need but no offer of further drinks. The staff would serve the meals but were not looking around at other tables or keeping watch at the other diners so our attempts at grabbing attention were missed. I eventually went up to the bar and explained that we were struggling to get service and someone came over. There was no customer service - and seemingly no manager or senior person overseeing smooth running. We left feeling a bit deflated. On the plus side the decor and ambiance was good.

Reviewed September 4, 2019 via mobile

Came in for a pre cinema meal and drink. Was greated by 5-6 young children running amuck in the main bar area.
Was asked to use the lower Quiet area because of children.
Were erved our drinks but when I asked about a particular burger I wante.d that I found on web page was told that menu was out of date and should of been removed. A few seconds later the children were running amuck in the quiet area. The parents and staff did nothing about this We went and sat in main bar area and told
Staff member we would not be having food. Your standards have dropped TD.

Reviewed September 2, 2019

The TD was recommended by our Airbnb host - and a sound recommendation it was, too. We booked a table for supper and were immediately impressed by the thoughtfully planned interior and imaginative lighting. The staff were faultlessly polite, helpful and attentive without being intrusive. The food was, candidly, sublime: I had a seafood masala which was flavoursome and beautifully cooked; my other half was just as taken with her choice. Prices lean towards the upper end of ‘medium’ but, as others have commented, the portions are handsome. Our visit was on a Monday evening, when there were a few others in but it wasn’t overly busy. Overall, a really good atmosphere, lovely staff and amazing food. We’ll be back before our week in Cornwall is at an end.