“What you see is what you get”
Review of Merchant House

Merchant House
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Truro
Reviewed May 2, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights whilst working in Truro. The staff were extremely welcoming and went out of their way to tell me that there was an unexpected cancellation when the hotel was formerly fully booked. The rooms are clean,the linen crisp and if you are looking for a place to lay your head and perhaps do a bit of work in your room then the Carlton will fit the bill. If you are expecting to stay around the hotel for extended periods then you might like to think again. The hotel is somewhat dated and in need of a makeover. The carpet throughout the public rooms and staircases is a masterpiece of 70's multi coloured swirl. The lounge and bar is devoid of atmosphere but the wood panelled dining room area (with the aforementioned carpet and matching textured ceiling ) is supremely ghastly which is a shame as the breakfast served there was not at all bad. In summary the Carlton is just fine for a bed and breakfast but if you are hoping for something special then you might like to think again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Charmingtoff

Reviewed February 3, 2009

Recently had cause to stop in Truro overnight , had no prior booking ,
booked in no problem, nice to stay in a family run hotel rather than a chain , they seem to make more effort to make me happy
rooms spotlessly clean , good showers water as hot as you want it to be, spa was an added bonus
breakfast in the morning was spot on served quickly and nicely prepared
would stay again

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DevonTony999
Reviewed May 20, 2008

When we arrived we received a lovely welcome from the staff here. The lady on reception while busy made us feel welcome. The hotel is definitely a family run place, not some chain with a feel recreated in 100 different locations. The cosy family feel comes through in the decor. All the reception rooms were very pleasant and nice (great to have a bar). Our room was fine. Ok size, comfortable, en-suite was fine, ticked all the boxes. Our room was at the back overlooking the carpark and the quick way to the room was down a side alley. But to be honest it was easier than lots of stairs and easy to load/unload luggage. No view but not to worry. The food was very nice. I had a full english brekkie which was efficiently served. Dinner was equally nice with a good range on offer. It was good not having to trek into town to find a restaurant. But its not far to town if you wanted too. All down hill and coming back up hill is not hard although I saw plenty of taxi's and there were buses going by regularly. I would recommed this place as good value. This place was a nice bas for our holiday. I don't agree with all the comments some people have said on here.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Northernjon
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Stayed 5 nights,the Carlton is in excellent location just a short stroll into Truro. I was there with my 7month old son and the staff couldnt have been more friendly and helpful.My only criticism would be the unpleasant smell in the bathroom. This wasnt anything to do with cleanliness as my room and bathroom were cleaned daily and were spotless. All in all a pleasant stay,I would go again.

• Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank mylittlerileybear
Reviewed October 9, 2007

This is a family run hotel and how refreshing it was to stay here compared to the soulless budget chain hotels I tend to end up in on business trips. Nothing was too much trouble. The hotel was pretty full and busy when we arrived but we were shown to our room by a very friendly receptionist (no here’s your key and get on with it as with the above budget chain hotels). We were at the back of the hotel overlooking the car park. That’s fine for me because I like to be as close as I can to my car and it was easy to deal with the luggage. Our room was a family room and we were very comfortable and slept very well. No carpet in our en-suite and it was spotlessly clean!
We chose to take dinner in the hotel rather than trawl the numerous restaurants that Truro has to offer. The table d’hote was great value and as much as we could eat served again by friendly staff (silver service too). The icing on the cake was breakfast – full English – fabulous. There was also a buffet for cereals, fruit juice, fruit salad etc. and bottomless tea and coffee.
The lure of shopping in Truro got to us. We chose to walk into town. It is a pleasant walk down, slower walking back laden with shopping, but we like walking so it was not a problem for us. However, there is a regular bus that stops right outside of the hotel for those so inclined.
We were there for five nights and we will definitely be back.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank ERICWM
Reviewed May 21, 2007

Such a disappointment. For £75 a night, I think that this hotel really needs to improve the accomodation.

Alarm bells rung as I opened the front door - its all old-people's home florals and pink carpets, and a slightly odd smell, a bit like school dinners. The lady on reception was helpful but she offered to show me 'down' to my room - and I was standing on the ground floor, which confused me rather. She took me down a grubby side passage outside of the building and into some sort of back 'wing' of the building. It was damp and smelt of PE kits left festering in lockers over half term.

The room itself was dark and the windows looked out onto the car park, with cars literally two meters away from the bed. Not nice. It smelt dank in the room, the bed had blankets (why not duvets?), and there was a single bed which frankly had an unnerving wiff of urine about it. But with the close proximity of the carpark, opening the windows wasn't really an option.

The bathroom was particularly pungent. Yes, the sink and loo were spotlessly clean but there was a carpet in there. And no bathmat by the shower, so I assume part of the stink was rotting carpet fibres. Vile.

Walls are thin. Totally impossible not to hear if your next door neighbour is watching TV. Or breathing.

The staff at breakfast were really helpful, and everyone was very pleasant but its a substandard hotel which is in desperate need of modernisation. And for £75 a night, it is a shameful rip-off.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank AVMLondon
Reviewed May 17, 2007

Truro is a smart, compact city with a bustling centre crammed with historic buildings of beautiful Bath stone. However, there does seem to be a shortage of accommodation. Arriving for a one-night-only stay in May, we were surprised to find out (from the Tourist Information Office) that there were only a couple of guest house rooms available, a fair distance (well, a mile perhaps) from the city cntre. In a place this small though, and without a car, we plumped for the Carlton (after finding that a nicer-looking and much more central hotel was fully booked).

A fair distance up a steep hill leading out of town, the Carlton is right by a bus stop used by posh schoolgirls from the Truro Girls School, right opposite the hotel.

The hotel has an immediate Fawlty Towers air about it, although the receptionist was helpful, you couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for her.

Decor in the communal areas was absolutely dreadful all round - chintzy, dated, tacky - but generally clean. Lots of pink velour, heavily patterned carpets - think 'your nan's house circa 1973'.

Our room was round the back of the hotel, down a scruffy side passage in a corridor that also housed the sauna and jacuzzi. These facilities, much trumpeted by the hotel's promotional material, were of course locked shut and keys had to be requested from reception. I think they may also have been the reason that the corridor - and our whole room - stank of damp.

Decor in the room was overwhelmingly unpleasant. Too many different patters and textures to mention, dado rails, nasty dark carpet, a grubby looking carpet in the bathroom (carpet in a hotel bathroom? Hello - athlete's foot, anyone?). The shower, however, was excellent.

The breakfast too was fine, dished up by a briskly (or perhaps brusquely) efficient waitress. However, the general state of the hotel put me off eating a full English. What I did receive (beans on toast) was perfect.

So, in summary, dank, damp and frankly a bit depressing, this place would be a grave disappointment for anyone staying longer than one night. It's a shame as with some new wallpapers, new carpets and a little bit of polish, this could be an OK place.

• Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank JC1972
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Alverton
#3 of 24 in Falmouth
Penventon Park Hotel
Penventon Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Redruth

Been to Merchant House? Share your experiences!