“A Great Little Hotel”
Review of Merchant House

Merchant House
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Truro
Reviewed September 11, 2012

This hotel really gets the thumbs up. The rooms are excellent and have a high level of servicing. The reception staff are welcoming and professional. A great location which is just a short walk into town. Great food and top surroundings. This place has to be one of your first considerations.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KiaOra_From_NZ

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We booked last minute to go to truro for 3 days and this was available. Pleased with its locational it was both easy to find and to be able to walk into Truro. They are in the middle of a referb and I would be keen to see the place when finished as the mood boards on display look interesting. Rooms at the moment are dated but clean, breakfast was more than ample and all staff were friendly. Plenty if car parking too. I would both recommend this hotel and use it again.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Lilymay9
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in mig August for one night and found it to be good value for money. The room was clean and although smallish, had everything I needed, the shower was probably the best I have had at any of the hundreds of hotels I have stayed in (powerful and acurate temp control), the staff were friendly and attentive, especially the breakfast waitresses who were cheerful and served a good hearty full english breakfast. The hotel is being refurbished, but I was not inconvenienced in any way. I have absolutely no complaints and would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Huw D
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent two nights at The Carlton and, despite the refurbishment that is taking place, we were not incovenienced at all. Staff couldn't be friendlier, our room had everything we needed, including a very good shower (an issue for us usually!). Breakfast was delicious and the hotel was spotless. We will certainly be booking with them again and wish the new owners (4 months in post) all the best for their future business.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a fairly quiet road so all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MarciaT61
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed here for one night over the Jubilee bank holiday weekend to visit a friend in the nearby Royal Cornwall Hospital. My wife being in a wheelchair after an operation herself, I contacted the hotel directly and was able to get the specially adapted room for the disabled including its own entrance round the back in the car park.

I found the staff helpful, especially when getting into the main hotel which required a ramp being an older building. The breakfast was good and there was no problem with arriving slightly early. We were unable to have an evening meal the night before as the hotel had recently been taken over and was under review.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank manhattan84
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My Boyfriend and I booked to stay here for 2 nights at the beginning of Aug. We booked through Laterooms.com and feel that because of this we were purposly given an extremley poor room!! Needless to say we stayed just one night, made our excuses and checked out! When we arrived we got the welcome of "Your the late rooms booking arnt you?"

The room was terrible. No curtains (just an empty curtain tract). We had office blinds up at our window. The other guests were in rooms with double glazing, we were not. The other guests had curtains too. The window was so high you couldnt see out which didnt really matter as all we had against our window were the metal fire escape stairs. The room felt like a cell. There was a massive stain on the ceiling. The bed cover was a horrible old fashioned wool felt thing that made me itch. The mattress was extremley uncomfortable (well past it in my opinion) We had half a toilet roll. The bathroom was miniscule, so much so that the sink and mirror were in our room not the bathroom. The flooring in the bathroom was like something from a public toilet. The tv didnt work properly. If this was a spare room in my home I definatly would not expect anyone to want to stay in it, let alone pay to do so!!

I really do think that we were put in this room because we booked through a discount site. The hotel advised we could not have a refund for the night we didn't stay because it's there policy that the payment is taken in advance for rooms booked through late rooms and there is a strict no refunds policy on any room booked through late rooms. So that just proves my point that if you book this hotel through a discount site they will give you this god awful room and it doesn't matter thanks to that policy because they will still get their money!! Disgraceful. Late Rooms even contacted the hotel and still they refuse to give us the money back for the night we didn't stay!! Thank you The Carlton Hotel for ripping us off!!

Room Tip: Don't bother. If you do don't book through a discount site you will be penalised!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LilyP659
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My own personal view is that it is a 2 star hotel, pretending to be a 4 star. The food was adequate, the choice minimal. The room was small and no shower, but the complimentaries were really good, plenty of Tea, Coffee, biscuits, etc. and towels changed every day (not necesssary). A couple of the staff looked like they were chewing a wasp and not helpful in the slightest, no sense of humour (suggest you get a job not working with the public), but not all of them. The walls are as thin as newspaper, you could hear people upstairs using the toilet!
They are undergoing a refurb at the moment, painters etc are still in residence so the whole place smells of paint, but it will be better in the long run. Although why they are doing this in high season is beyond me.
They also allow dogs, not my thing, but I guess if you're a dog owner you would have a different point of view.
Would I stay there again? No

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Alverton
John Francis Basset Hotel
The Greenbank Hotel
The Greenbank Hotel
#3 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to Merchant House? Share your experiences!