“Cosy, friendly and easy.”
Review of Mannings Hotel

Mannings Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Truro
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Stayed here for two nights last week, and it was under duress as Truro is a seriously long journey for work, and the only good thing about the whole trip was this hotel. The bed was like a cupped pair of hands around me, and I slept like a doberman. Really, really nice.

The people who work there all seemed sound as a pound, too, and definitely enjoyed being there. All seemed chums, which is a nice touch.

Quite enthusiastically priced, but I wasn't paying, so meh! Plus there aren't many hotels in the town it seems, so it's either pay a bit for something nice (this) or park yourself miles out in a hovel to save a tenner.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

One night stay. Free cocktails on arrival. Rooms excellent. Dinner was lovely and the staff couldn't do enough for us. We arrived as a group of seven by bike and we were allowed ti store our bikes safely in the basement. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

When booking this hotel I thought It would be a perfect location for us going for a meal In the town, when booking I was told there were only apartments left, which was fine but did come with a price increase but for a better room I was ok with this! Although I didn't get a "better" room, the mattress was the most uncomfortable I think I have ever slept on! When we arrived the receptionist was miserable and didn't want to be there! Something that should be addressed! Ask her to smile! She almost grunted to us! When going into the room, it was clean and fresh, best part about the hotel! We then went for a meal in the restaurant which was fantastic although again the staff were struggling to smile, food was wonderful though! During the night apart from the brick of a mattress the noise was horrendous! I highly recommend ear plugs! I don't know if this was because we were in an apartment but even so I would of liked to have been notified that there would be some noise! Even after all of this the Breakfast again was horrendous! When booking I was told the rate included breakfast! Well that was untrue! This included cereal! Cooked breakfasts are an additional and very expensive extra!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SophCornishBird
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stay at Mannings regularly so thought I'd give them another review, I had single night stay for business in the area, I find the location of the hotel ideal with plenty of parking which is handy. My room was on the 1st floor, clean as always and quite spacious. As is always the case you get a bit of noise from the surrounding area, mostly from the seagulls and the cathedral bells, obviously nothing the hotel can do about this, but something to be aware of if you were a light sleeper. For some reason my laptop wouldn't connect to their (complementary) Wifi, but my other devices were fine, so pretty sure that was my problem not their's.

Had a good meal in the restaurant that evening, our table was book for 19:00 but was about 10 mins late as the restaurant was full and clearly some diners had taken a little longer than expected. The lady running front of house simply came and found us in the bar (which adjoins the restaurant) when the table was ready so that was no problem at all.

Service was friendly and prompt, my colleague changed his order which caused some confusion as only one lot of fries arrived (which I thought was what we ordered, but my colleague didn't) , the additional fries arrived in a matter of minutes and our bill was correct at the end of this night. On the topic of bills - if you in the bar you can easily charge your drinks to your table before you go the restaurant, this seems to be something which some venues don't seem to be able to manage, but makes it far easier to pay once at the end of the night.

Breakfast the following morning was quick and tasty despite being very busy.

Overall a good stay, and I'll be back in about a month for another.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I visited Mannings as an overnight stop on business in Truro. The location was perfect and the carpark an advantage.The room was clean and well equipped. I had to turn down the heating and open the window as the room was so hot but this was a problem in the evening as the local pigeons on the roof outside the window kept me awake at night. The wifi wouldn't work in the room so I had to go to the foyer to receive a signal.
The dinner in the attached restaurant was very good. The menu was varied with some daily specials. I would definitely visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you need wifi ask for a room with good signal.
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Was treated to lunch at mannings for my birthday. As soon as we sat down we were asked what we wanted to drink neither of us had decided as had just sat down so opted for water. We were given menus to look at, then about 2 minutes later was asked if we'd decided. I had the tempura chicken with noodles which was amazing. As soon as we finished the plates were whisked away. We had a look at the dessert menu but decided against it. We were then offered coffee or the bill, no offer of another drink. We declined coffee so the bill was plonked on the table. My husband wanted a glass of wine, he had to go up to the bar & order it. Although we thought about leaving as it was made obvious they wanted to get rid of us. None of the waiting staff smiled they looked miserable. Apart from 1 girl who gave everyone their food, she was very cheerful. We felt extremely rushed. I wouldn't recommend mannings if your after a leisurely lunch

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We choose this hotel as it is in the centre of the city and very close to the Hall for Cornwall. Having read many of the reviews, good and bad, we decided to try for ourselves. Our room was at the back and we had noise from the kitchen fans and cooking smells. Although the heating was not on, the room was very warm but opening the window was not an option because of the close proximity of the large kitchen fans. A future option could be a room at the front and risk noise from the traffic and people turning out from the local bars etc. This may be a bigger problem over a weekend rather than on a week night. The apartments may be quieter, although there seems to be some criticism about noise coming from upstairs apartments. Either way if you stop in a city centre hotel you should expect some noise! If you really want a quiet stay choose somewhere out of the city centre.
The rooms were spotlessly clean although we found the bed a little on the firm side for us. Bearing in mind hotel beds vary we have already decided to purchase a portable mattress topper to pop in the car for future visits.
Regarding the staff in the hotel - we found all to be very friendly and helpful. We spoke to reception, bar/restaurant and cleaning staff (who let us look in a couple of the other rooms for future reference). Maybe sometimes it is your own manner and the way you talk to people means you maybe don't get the response you would want - we find it works better if you speak to the people providing the service in the same way you would want them to respond to you.
We have read criticism of the breakfast. Having only stayed for one midweek night our experience is very limited, but what was on offer as a 'continental' breakfast seemed extensive with good choices, We were offered tea/coffee and hot toast, and the buffet contained a choice of fruit juices, a number of cereals, muesli, croissants, fresh fruits, fruit salad, grapefruit, prunes, yogurts and plates of sliced ham and cheese. There was also a full English or a lighter cooked breakfast as well as other options including scramble egg & smoked salmon available at extra cost. What on earth is there to complain about!
The evening meal in the restaurant was excellent with good sized portions (although we felt the fillet steak portion could have been more generous - the steak size was not stated on the menu but it was probably 6oz rather than 8oz). The complementary glass of wine was very welcome.
All in all not a bad experience and we would visit again.

Room Tip: Rather than book online - talk to the reception staff about the options available.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loves2lunch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Alverton
#1 of 5 in St Mawes
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 24 in Falmouth

Been to Mannings Hotel? Share your experiences!