“A really bad nights sleep” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mannings Hotel

Mannings Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Truro
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A really bad nights sleep”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

On arrival at the hotel the room was extremley warm (I am super cold person so rarely have this problem) and I was unable to open the window so I put the table fan on (no air-con) which sounded like a jet plane taking off - the staff were fantasstically helpful and showed me how I could open the window and provided me with a different fan. I tried sleeping with the window open, however the room was over a pavement on the main road and was really busy and very noisey and after hours laid trying to sleep had to close it and put the fan on. Even with the noise of the fan I was kept awake with noisy doors, and other banging from within the hotel - the room was still very over heated and ended up 'resting' as no sleeping on top of the covers.

The room itself was very tired and the bathroom had no space whatsoever and it clearly wasn't one of the newly refurbished rooms and paying full price not through a discount site through a company they could have repeat business from was suprised having read all the glowing reports on here.

On depature I wasn't asked if I had a nice stay - just told what my balance was and that was that - no small talk at all - boarding on rude.

It was a shame as the restaurant food was lovely and the staff also - I stay in between 2-3 different hotels each week across the country and this is the first time I've walked away thinking I don't want to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Penzance, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked our room through late rooms and didn't really expect it to be anything special as it was at a reduced price and very last minute. Upon arrival we were told by the receptionist hat we had been upgraded and we were given one of the new renovated rooms on the third floor. The room was lovely and the bathroom was spacious, modern and very welcoming. The staff were very helpful, breakfast was lovely and we enjoyed our stay very much. Only thing I would say slightly let them down was that thy charge you £6.00 for the hotels gated car park but at least you have the reassurance your vehicle is safe during your stay. Highly recommend and will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the third floor rooms. Only a/c rooms in the hotel and recently been renovated.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed on the top floor during a business trip. These are the renovated rooms with A/C. There is no elevator so if you have an issue with stairs, ask for a lower floor. Good wifi connection and helpful staff. You tell them what you need and they help you out with it. They set me up with taxi service for the 5 days I was in town and let me check in early since my room was already ready when I got there before noon.

Room Tip: Top floor has A/C
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I had been to the hotel a couple of times in the past and had had good experiences. Unfortunately this was not as good a trip.

My first issue was that I unloaded my car in the loading bay outside the hotel & went to reception to check in and get directions to the secure (paid for) parking - the next thing I knew a member of staff was alerting me that I was about to get a parking ticklet - I had been in the hotel under a minute! I sorted that out & the the receptionist informed me that I was fortunate to check in early - it was 2.40pm - which I though was a less than warm welcome.

My room was large and well decorated. However it was baking hot so I had to have the window open all night which was a bit noisy.

On the plus side I used the business area/sitting room to see a client which was a good facility.

I didn't eat in the hotel - it was full of Christmas parties so I cannot comment on the restaurant. Breakfast was fine - but despite my booking via work saying I could have a full breakfast - this was quibbled at reception who said this was wrong - I had had a bacon sandwitch - but they did agree to send the bill for this to Expotel who made the booking. Not a great end to the stay.

The hotel is in a good central location

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Great hotel with excellent room and service. Would highly recommend the restaurant for both evening meal and breakfast. Location is very central for shops and nightlife but very little traffic noise in the evening. Walked to a great real ale pub - the Old Ale House for a pre-dinner drink. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel on a trip to Cornwall for new years eve. After a little bit of confusion on our part about how to get into the car park at the back we checked in with the friendly receptionist and headed to our apartment.

The apartment was lovely; we had one on a single floor. The kitchen was large with everything you could need. The bed was huge. The spotlights in the ceiling amused me for some time and allowed us to create a very cosy space. The breakfast was plentiful, and we had no need to order the cooked food as there was so much continental on offer. We had one evening meal in the restaurant and that was incredibly delicious too.

The setting of the hotel is ideal, not only for exploring Truro but also the rest of Cornwall. It was just 30 mins from the Eden project, and 20min from some lovely little costal towns which we enjoyed looking around despite it being on the chilly side.

There was one problem when we entered the room. The toilet. It wouldn't stop filling up and was very loud. I called the receptionist who said that no body could fix it because it was Christmas week and there wasn't anyone in who could do it. There was no offer of a room change at that point so we thought we'd make the best of it. After a night listening to water constantly running though, we decided it was getting silly so after breakfast we went and asked to swap rooms. The lady did so straight away and we had a second apartment.

The second apartment was just a great as the first, and was peaceful without the constant toilet noise. Although I happen to know that the following evening on New Years Eve the apartments were fully booked...my apologies if the people in room 203 had to deal with this because we had escaped it.

All in all we had an enjoyable time. i would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Truro is a fab place to visit and we had been to Mannings for a meal on a previous trip but not stayed there. The restaurant is excellent and can highly recommend it. Decided to take a trip down for an after Christmas lift and had only booked for one night but decided to stay for two! We booked one of the apartments and loved it! They are situated a little walk from the hotel and have parking right out side which is a bonus. We had an upstairs apartment and thought it was perfect for us. It felt very *Loft Style* was clean, had everything we needed although perhaps the saucepans could do with being changed as they are looking a little worse for ware. It had a full sized fridge (but no freeze box) and a small dish washer. Lovely comfy double bed, table and chairs and two leather lounge chairs with a pouffe for watching Tv. Huge bathroom with shower and loo but sadly for me no bath. We looked out over the back away from the road. Lovely and quiet and enjoyed two really good nights sleep. Housekeeping did knock to ask if we wanted anything cleaned or needed any clean towels etc....Staff were really happy and helpful. A fantastic location in beautiful Truro, shops for food just a very short walk away. Would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: We loved apartment 201....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Alverton
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,022 reviews
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 25 in Falmouth

Been to Mannings Hotel? Share your experiences!