Mannings Hotel
Orbitz.com
$117
The Nare(Veryan)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssecure parkingno liftcontinental breakfastthird floorcity roomcentral locationcar parktop floorcentre of townextra costlisted buildingon arrivalfull englishroom ratefantastic hotelcomfortable bedold building
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Found Mannings on a previous trip to Truro when we had a very enjoyable lunch in the brasserie so decided to try the hotel on a future visit. Did first view the rooms on Trip Adviser which seemed to suggest a decent contemporary standard. So what a disappointment on opening the door to Room 10. A souless room with one tired club chair, a single wardrobe a 6x6 bathroom, aging striped carpet, a tea tray with a solitary chocolate biscuit, and just two teabags! On a day when Truro enjoyed a temp of 17 degrees say, I guess that the room temperature was around 28 well into the night. Result little sleep until almost morning!! Can't think where the website room shots were taken!
Despite this, we decided to eat in the brasserie. Barman was able to supply an excellent dry martini for my wife, and the service from the young female staff was cheerful and efficient. The food was of a high standard, a decent wine list, buzzy atmosphere, thoroughly enjoyable experience. So as per my opening lines enjoy a meal here but stay at the Premier Inn for an altogether better accomodation experience, yes seriously!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I have been staying in this hotel for around 8 years, from when it used to be The Royal. I take around 2/3 trips down to Truro per year. I have always found it to be an excellent hotel with fantastic service and levels of comfort. I have even recommended it to many friends and family, who visit Truro to see my parents who relocated there.
On this visit I have been extremely disappointed with the way the hotel has gone downhill in every respect.
Upon arrival I was greeted by a very surly looking receptionist, who looked like she did not want to be there
. I was given a room that was no bigger than a shoe box, with a bathroom you could hardly move in. A wonderful view of the bins. The room was unbearably hot, the only breeze coming from a 1980's plug in air blower. The desk had cigarette burns on it, and the cups still had old coffee stains in (obviously not cleaned), and there were white ''stains'' all over the curtains.
As the room was so hot, I had to sleep with windows open, to be kept awake by the sounds of arguments and shouting out in the street.
At Breakfast you used to receive a ''cooked breakfast'' now its just continental (croissants and toast..oh and ham and cheese if you ask)... not really much choice. Unless you pay the over the odds extra for anything hot!
I booked to eat in the restaurant in the evening the food was of a good standard, however the seats being white look dirty and worn. (I was also told by the Reception team I would need to book as they were very busy) However there were only around 10 people eating when I took my seat.
Finally the hotel advertised ''free wi-fi'' in all rooms ... the signal was so weak you could only connect in the corridor and when you go back in the room its lost the signal!!
The price of this Hotel has steadily risen and risen, however the standards have dropped dramatically. I managed to get my room for £99 per night.... for what I got that was daylight robbery!
I do hope the hotel take note of complaints ... as I used to love staying here ... and always walked away happy with the view to return. This time I am not so sure.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jdogg76
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Stayed for one night recently and found the hotel generally quite acceptable.

Arrived late at night an wanted to have a quick drink with colleauges to discuss plans for the following day but despite the hotel's own guide found in the room saying that the bar remained open till midnight for residents we were kicked out just after 11. Not so welcoming.

My City Double Room whilst clean and reltively comfortable was at the back of the hotel and was quite noisy with banging in the bins etc. The double bed was in fact two singles bolted together made the night a little uncomfortable as I seemed to some gravitate towards the gap between the beds.

When trying to first leave the roomin the morning for breakfast found my way blocked by a stack of linen bundles that housekeeping had taken from the laundry room and placed directly outside my room door. Minor inconvenience but annoying all the same.

At breakfast had to ask several times to get my coffee and the newspaper I had ordered was delivered at the breakfast table rather than to my room and seemed to have been read by someone else first - at least there were crumbs amongst the rumbled pages. Call me fussy but I lik to the first to read the papers I buy.

Incidentally, the breakfast included in the room price is only a very simple continental breakfast anything else was extra.

Wi-fi whilst provided free of chargein the room was very patchy and kept dropping out.

Overall, comments above not distracting a reasonablly priced, clean modern hotel if a little quirky and noisy

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank andyfry
Reviewed May 29, 2011

This is a soulless hotel with unimaginative decor. Room swipe card issued on arrival ,payment taken on departure with nothing in between. If you want city centre convenience allied to a single duvet and pillow,limited cupboard space, £6 a day for their car park,£7.50 for a cooked breakfast,one minute jar of marmalade per table,AND -would you believe .a payment of £35 to remain your room undisturbed on Sunday,then this is the hotel for you ! They have chopped a gracious Georgian building into little boxes with beds in them.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrianHighWycombe
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Overnight stay in a clean room with an excellent bed. Friendly staff. Great breakfast although you have to pay extra to upgrade to the full English breakfast, it's well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple