“Great over nighter”

The Townhouse Rooms
Ranked #3 of 19 Truro B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 29, 2007

After receiving a warm welcome from the owner I was shown to my room - perfectly adequate for my overnight stay. Some nice touches to the hotel - free wireless internet access, which was great, and a fantastic little breakfast room that had 24hr access for guests to cook a quick snack from the items left for you. Bread, cheese, jams, yoghurt, fruit, drink and much more. I really thought this was a great touch. It is only about 5 mins walk from the town centre, which if you haven't been there before is delightful!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank iang5
There are newer reviews for The Townhouse Rooms

Reviewed December 15, 2007

This is rather a strange place to stay as you hardly ever see any staff - there was never anyone at reception for example. There is a self-service breakfast, which is pretty good, but you have to put your own dishes in the dishwasher! I had a single room, which was not large but by no means the smallest I've stayed in. It was very clean and well decorated but £49 per night seemed pretty expensive for what you got.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank MollyDaisy_7
Reviewed October 13, 2007

My stay here was heavily influenced by the location of my room - to the right of the front door and a few feet from the Reception desk. The noise was bad both late and early, so I was forced to find an alternative (The Carlton Hotel just up the road) on the last night in order to get some sleep.

The breakfast was also a disappointment: nothing more on offer than is in my kitchen at home (nothing hot, apart from self-made toast) and the room was small, so it was important to time one's arrival carefully.

In fairness, some rooms were, I gather, refurbiushed and quiet (and I did like the free toast on offer at all hours) - but I would check the position of the room before agreeing to stay... and don't accept the one on the ground floor!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jetsam
Reviewed October 15, 2006

We wanted a place to stay near the centre and the Townhouse was convenient in that aspect. Did have some difficulty booking and had to ring few times as reception is not manned all the time. Had to drive around to the back to park.

No problem with arriving late and the convenience of the 'open all times' breakfast room is nice - we had a snack when we arrived at 10.30 pm! A little strange to have to fix our own breakfast but not having to hurry down was a relaxing. A fair choice for a continental breakfast - some cream cheese would have been be a welcomed addition! Or maybe some hard-boiled eggs?

We booked a four poster bed room as a romantic option and were a little disappointed. Although the bed was comfortable, the room as a whole was a bit tired. The only sink was in the bedroom and there were no hand towels nor a place to hang a towel by the sink. The shower pressure was good but the temperature varied and ofter got VERY hot.

Would be very convenient for a business trip (didn't try the wireless so can't comment on this) but don't think the room we had was worth the extra money.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stay-Away-Often
Reviewed September 30, 2006

Having booked the Truro Town House on the back of its advertised wireless internet, I was incredibly dissapointed to find it didn't work in our room on the 2nd floor. I was told it would work better in the breakfast room, bt even this only got me a weak signal.
Clean though, and relaxed atmosphere around bringing in take aways was a huge bonus on a cold rainy night!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Fimb
Reviewed February 26, 2006

Stayed here on business last year. The bedroom was comfortable and clean (maybe could have done with a bit of a redec). I was put in the downstairs room which was next to the entrance so a bit noisey until everyone went to bed, but this didn't bother me too much. I wouldn't want to stay here if I was going away with my husband, as it didn't have the feel of a holiday B&B. The breakfast was self service in quite a small room.
But for staying on my own it was good. I got takeaway instead of eating out and they gave me plates etc and let me eat in the breakfast room with the telly on!
Generally a good review.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank Sophie B
Reviewed November 26, 2005

We stayed at the Townhouse a couple of months ago whilst visiting the many spectacular sights that Cornwall has to offer, such as Heligan Gardens,The Eden Project, tin mines and the fantastic beaches. Although the Townhouse is only about a 5 minute walk from the centre of Truro, it is well away from the hustle and bustle of the City and offers a quiet base with a beautiful garden in which to relax.
Our room was extremely comfortable, with en-suite facilities. The breakfast room, offering a tasty continental buffet style breakfast,was open to residents all day, so that there was no rush to get up early.
All staff were wonderfully helpful and friendly with great in-depth local knowledge.
We will definately be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank carollisa23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The County Arms
The Ship and Castle Hotel
Cliftons
Cliftons
#4 of 19 in Truro

Been to The Townhouse Rooms? Share your experiences!