“B&B friendliness, Rooms like a 5* Hotel”
Review of The Old Vicarage

The Old Vicarage
Ranked #2 of 19 Truro B&B and Inns
Godalming, United Kingdom
“B&B friendliness, Rooms like a 5* Hotel”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here on our 2nd wedding anniversary. It is a bit tricky to find without a GPS (good thing we had one), and is down a very narrow lane (which we did see 3 badgers on in one night!). We first came upon the actual church itself and my husband pulled as we thought from the pictures online that's where the Old Vicarage was, but turns out we had to go a drive further. Once you know where it is though, it's pretty easy to find. When we walked in and up to reception we could see through the glass doors out onto the deck. There were beautiful views overlooking gorgeous gardens with a pond, flowers, birds, outdoor seating in a beautiful little gazebo, and the river. Marilyn checked us in and showed us to our room, which was at the very top of the place (a couple flights of stairs, which was no issue for us), and we actually liked that we were up higher. It was a gorgeous room and it was immaculate! (I know because I check as I used to work in hotels and there was not anything I could find at fault when it came to cleanliness). The bathroom had a skylight which helped make that room very bright which was excellent. After she showed us our room with the gorgeous river view, she asked if we'd like a cup of tea, and told us to come downstairs when we were ready. The dining room on the bottom floor was beautiful! Very nice setup, great views, spacious and sunny. The staff were so nice and friendly and we enjoyed a cup of tea soaking it all in. We asked for an iron/ironing board to be sent to our room if possible for the next day and it was delivered that afternoon! We had a lovely bench window seat in our room which looked out onto the river and we could see the swans and their babies. We could also see boaters, etc. The bed was super comfy as were the pillows and we slept very well the first night except for the owls that woke me. I think it was owls anyway, but nothing the staff could do about that. I asked for a fan the next day to drown out the wildlife sounds and also cool down our top floor room a bit when we slept and that worked like a charm. Breakfast was nice. Yogurt and various fruits, granola, etc to put in it along with a variety of juices awaited us in the dining room where our order was taken and we were served fresh toast and a hot breakfast which was nice. We took our leftover toast and used it later to feed the Swans which was fun. The shower in our room, albeit small, was SO nice... wish I could've taken it home. It had a rainfall showerhead and a 'wand' style soaker as well where both could be on at the same time which was lovely. Our closet door in the room we noticed had the hinges pulled apart (probably from sliding along that luxurious carpet so many times before) and we mentioned this to Marilyn when she brought our fan on the second day. She said she'd have her husband look at it. We told her we didn't really mind, but wanted her to know about it. We went out that day for a while and when we came back, it had been fixed already! Great service, great people, I can't say enough good things. We loved it so much and hope to go back again one day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roxygrl20_02

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We have been to the old vicarage over a dozen times now for lunch and afternoon teas!! Fantastic
Food and smiley freindly service!! Really enjoyed our lunch today, even though it was exstremly busy, we had super lunch - fresh food and service. We have told many of our friends, who have also visitied :-) we recommend the tranquil atmosphere and beautiful views, plus the added bonus of a visiting duck and her 9 ducklings!!

Thank you the vicarage!!
Mrs Claire Cotton

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've stayed here several times now and each time have had a lovely stay. As other reviewers have mentioned, the Old Vicarage is in St Clements, minutes away from central Truro. It's not the easiest place to find, especially on a dark November night but well worth the effort. Access is down a narrow lane with little or no lighting and as my satnav couldn't pinpoint the exact location on my first visit - I ended up parking the car and walking around the village until I found it. Even in daylight it's not that easy to find and I nearly went astray. Parking is also rather limited, or seemed to be and can take some manoeuvring to get in and out.
Each time I've stayed in one of the smaller rooms, not a lot of space but each clean, decorated to a high standard and very comfortable - one with views out over the garden towards the river and one looking out towards the church. The decor is modern, lots of clean lines but in keeping with the age of the house. I believe either rooms are more opulently furnished.
No matter what time I've arrived (and I was very late, that first time) I've had a warm welcome. The staff are very friendly and make you feel at home. What I particularly enjoyed while eating a well cooked breakfast in the downstairs kitchen / dining room was watching the semi-tame pheasants being fed (until the ducks muscled in on the action!) on the terrace at the back of the house which leads to the well tended gardens and access to the riverside walk.
Truro is not a cheap place to stay and there are some really nice alternatives nearby but this is my favourite. I'm looking forward to returning for a leisure trip rather than when working in the area on business and being able to spend more time relaxing and exploring the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank lazyjanie
Telki, Hungary
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have spent here 5 nights travelling around Cornwall, staying in 2 rooms:
+ great location, in easy reach to the most important sights of Cornwall
+ spacious & very tastefully decorated interior, view to the river
+ perfectly clean & tidy rooms & bathrooms
+ very nice garden, right at the riverbank

- breakfast selection to be improved (though quality was but)

1 Thank Laszlo B
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Far From the Maddening Crowd of Truro this beautiful St Clement Gem offers 5 Star accommodation just a stones throw from Town. Quite, Comfortable Relaxing in Good company with good food what more could you ask for and what more do you want

Room Tip: The Room with the view is best for watching the wild Life