“A lovely meal with great service”
Review of Amethyst - CLOSED

Amethyst
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Amethyst Bar Bistro is a stylish eatery with a retro feel to compliment the elegant old building, that was once a jewellers.Specialising in fresh Cornish Produce, where possible, we endeavour to source our ingredients locally to suit the seasons. We serve Lunch, Pre - Theatre and Dinner. Also we hold an extensive wine and cocktail list.We can also cater for corporate events, birthdays or gatherings, in our private dining area.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had a lovely meal all fresh cooked and delicious. The staff where very pleasant we felt well looked after and it was such good value. Top marks all round . I would highly recommend this bistro.

There are newer reviews for Amethyst

Reviewed January 20, 2013

It started badly as when we arrived we received a very long list of what was not available from the menu. The place was nearly empty. The Chef wasn't going to cook after 8 pm, so a large group of people who stood outside in the cold reading the menu in the window only to be turned away! We then ordered to find even things were wern't told was off the menu. No steaks of any kind? Fair enough but they didn't even have a burger either. My wife's mushroom starter was shocking. The rest of us had to have a second or third choice. When after an inordinate wait between courses again my wife's duck was in edible, it was rubber duck. The waitress asked my wife if she would like another meal, we just said we wanted to leave as also they ran out of the Pino were were drinking. The waitress said she would phone the manager to see if the cost of my wife's meal could be taken off the bill!!! It was but to be honest it was just a wasted evening. We had travelled from Devon to eat with friends & the evening was totally spoilt.

1  Thank Rower111
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Myself and my partner were in Truro for New Years Eve, we hadn't made a booking anywhere so we went out early to make sure we could get a table somewhere. We stumbled upon Amethyst by chance, it was empty but so was most of Truro at this time and so we went in. The staff were great. They were friendly and pleased to have somebody to serve and to be honest they are the reason I have given it three out of five instead of two.

The food came quickly as there was no one else there. But the food was not great. It was a set menu. I had the Pate, which came already on the toast, in a huge amount, and was strangely sloppy, watery and a bit tasteless. For the main, we both had topside of beef. The meat itself was lovely and tender. However the veg and potatoes tasted as if they had been left on a hot plate for a while before being served. We decided not to stay for dessert. I thought the price of the meal was far too much, as we have eaten in far better places for the same price.

We made the best of the meal and to be honest were in such a good mood about being in Cornwall and it being New Year that we found the experience amusing, but in all honesty I would never go back there again.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Went here between christmas and new year, the staff were most pleasant, the food was very well cooked and presented and good portion sizes. Its a very relaxing place to have a meal, been here a couple of times for lunch and this is the first time i have been here for an evening meal and i would definately come again.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Was away on business and this was close to where we had to go later. The food is awful, cooked ok at best but bland, tasteless and just boring. Had calamari as a starter which wasn't crisp but soggy. The cod loin was over cooked and served with over cooked vegetables and very bland potatoes. Colleagues had steak which was average. Prices are cheap , which I suppose reflects the quality of the produce. With plenty of eating places in Truro now, honestly find somewhere else. This was the view of the 4 of us. No one enjoyed their food. The kebab at the end of he night tasted much much better

2  Thank ashrafs44