“Top stuff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Grammar School

The Old Grammar School
Ranked #24 of 220 Restaurants in Truro
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A unique setting in an old listed building, we provide some of Truro's best dining with fresh lunches during the day and lively fresh and original tapas on the evening. Matched with a great coffee, cocktails, wine and beers.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top stuff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

In the big city for a few child free hours we decided to have lunch here but it was buzzingly busy with no free tables. We lingered on the pavement for a while trying to decide on somewhere else. Just as we were leaving the young waiter caught up with us & said another couple had offered to share their table with us. I was super grateful as the roasted med veg with goats cheese on foccacia with chips was calling me!
The menu is inspiring & the food was utterly delicious. All the staff were friendly & helpful.
I can't wait to go again! Call the babysitter!

• Visited August 2013

Penzance, United Kingdom
“monkey cocktails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

lovely atmosphere and we sat outside. order an off menu cocktail by giving the barmen a drawn picture of a monkey, great fun.

Visited August 2013
London
“Nice place that gets better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Been here many many times for drinks and a few times for tapas. On previous dining visits I was not so impressed with the food but have noticed the food does get better.

The drinks are great and I particularly love the coconut mojito.

The food was all good but could do with a few tweaks just to help diversify flavours and arouse the palette. For example more vegetable dishes would add much needed colour to the menu and maybe options of spicy / spicier to certain dishes would cater for those who like super flavour stimulation. Also, the nachos could do with a meat option even though they are good as they are. Cauliflower fritters could do with a lighter batter and a more punchy chilli jam and the wings could do with various dip options.

I'm being picky I guess as all we ate was good and what we drank was delicious, but I'm conscious that this place is in competition with high street chains so I'm trying to offer a constructive opinion as I think the place is great.

For those who have mentioned that the coffee is bad and overpriced I suggest you take your mass market taste buds for a pint of coffee milk soup elsewhere. This place understands quality over quantity and serves real coffee that your taste buds will not recognise thanks to the high street homogenising and anesthetising them.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Southport, United Kingdom
“Great ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

As good tapas as you could get anywhere outside Spain with nice terrace friendly service with a smile and a good selection of wines and beers. No booking and difficult to find a table at weekends.

Visited July 2013
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Great food for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled across this place just down from the cathedral and stopped for lunch with young kids. They were busy so we sat outside under the big sunbrella's. The menu was on a blackboard outside and had a limited choice but some good variety. Kids portions of any of the meals could be ordered, which is an excellent option and much better than the standard nuggets, pizza or sausage with chips that the less imaginative places offer. The food was freshly prepared and the TOGS homemade burger was delicious, both my son and I agreed. My wife had the pulled pork and homemade coleslaw which was equally delicious. My only one minor gripe was that it took over 10 mins to get our drinks order, which when I asked about the drinks I was advised there was only one ar person on today. May be I could have forgiven that if the table next to us hadn't received their drinks before us, after ordering them 5 mins after us. That said, overall a very good experience and the main event, the food, was lovely.

Visited August 2013