“Absolutely fabulous!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Truro
Feock, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fabulous!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

At the beginning of December I went to my works Christmas dinner at the Alverton and although I don't live far away decided to stay the night given the hotel has great reviews and I was looking forward to having a few festive drinks. The hotel building is absolutely beautiful and the interiors tastefully decorated (some of the corridors are yet to be redecorated but this didn't bother me given everywhere else has been refurbished to a high standard) and I was delighted to be able to sit outside on the fabulous terrace after I had checked in given it was a surprisingly mild day for December! The gardens are very well kept and quite delightful for a hotel so close to the city centre. I found the staff friendly and helpful throughout my stay and thought the dinner was delicious, especially the chocolate plate for dessert! My room was spacious yet cosy and not noisy at all given a busy road is at the bottom of the hotels drive. I would be very happy to stay at this hotel again. In fact I will stay again next year as my company were so pleased with the dinner that they want to have their Christmas do at The Alverton again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We decided to revisit The Alverton after its refurbishment and re-branding. What a transformation. The bedroom was stunning and luxurious,everything you would expect. The staff as usual made us feel very welcome and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast menu is amazing. My husband had the full English and found it filling and flavoursome...what more does a man want? I had poached eggs done to perfection. The whole stay was well worth the money. I love the new style which has taken the hotel to a different league whilst retaining the friendly atmosphere that makes for a relaxing enjoyable stay without the stuffiness/corporate feel of some hotels at this level.

Room Tip: Opt for the larger room with bath and shower
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed at the Alverton in October 2013 in one of the suites, so I experienced the hotel presumably nearly after the full restoration although it was clear that some of the back hallways were still undergoing work. The restaurant and bar of the hotel are lovely and completely in keeping with the efforts to establish itself as a boutique 4 star hotel. I had dinner in the restaurant, and although it was a bit empty for a Friday night, service and food were very nice. However, what was disappointing was still the lack of finish in the suite. Although redecorated and refurbished, the furniture in the room was still "country quaint" with coaster ring marks on the bedside tables (and I nearly added my own as there were no coasters, I had to use a tissue under my glass). The bed though large was still obviously old or recycled/reclaimed. The wardrobes, dresser and dressing table were again 2 star grade, just cheap thin wood. There were no paintings and pictures on the walls at all and no overhead lighting, only the two bedside lamps which were very dim. This made it extremely hard to dress for dinner because I could barely see myself in the full-length mirror!
As a positive the room was absolutely massive with a separate couch/tv area and in the main bedroom with lovely views over the garden. So massive that there was in fact a third bed around the corner, which I also found odd. People who pay money for the top suite want more luxury not to cram more people in. This space could be used better as a grand dressing table area perhaps, as long as they sort the lighting out.

I would stay at the Alverton again but I won't pay money for a suite until and unless they modernised the furniture and sorted the lighting out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Harrogate
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I was here for an overnight and to conduct two seminars here at the begining of December 2013. The historical notes about the hotel in the room tell you that it was formerly a convent and hence my (witty?) title. It does retain the chapel building which is now used for wedding receptions and other large meals and gatherings.

My room was large, warm and comfortable with a huge bathroom which had apparently recently upgraded bath and fittings. A vast bath and a shower big enough for me and (I guess) several good friends together. Sadly I was travelling alone and so there was no chance to test this experimentally!

It was clear that there are redecorations afoot. There are a few isolated remains of NHS green about the corridors but it looks as though the Farrow and Ball paint chart has been out for the new scheme.

I see that others have had issues with traffic noise. My room was at the front, not double glazed and there is a major road at the foot of the hill. I have to say the noise did not trouble me and I slept well.

The only niggle that I would raise is that the room had very subdued lighting which contrasted with the bathroom which was illuminated like an operating theatre. It would not be easy to do much reading of papers for example by the available lights all of which were on separate switches.

Staff were uniformly friendly and helpful throughout the visit.

For the seminar tea and coffee were liberally supplied and the staff helpfully took orders for lunch at coffe break so that lunch was served promptly. The chicken was perfectly nice with a generous portion but two vegetarians felt that their polenta was somewhat bland.

For anyone with restricted mobility the car park is on higher ground than the hotel and involves negotiating quite a steep path. In icy weather or if you have difficulties walking care should be taken here.

Truro itself is a charming city centre with some great independent shops, bars and restaurants gathered around the cathedral. These are only a 5 - 10 minute walk (dependant on the length of your stride!) from the hotel.

Inkpen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was my first stay. I have often admired the building from across the road when I stayed opposite at the Brookdale (now closed). The building is imposing and amenities include a good-sized car park which is a little way from the main building, so plan your arrival/departure if you have heavy bags.

Arrival and Check-Out at Reception was friendly and efficient. The atmosphere in the hotel is fresh and the decor very attractive. My room turned out to be large and, on arrival, very over-heated. I think the management had taken note of the Tripadvisor reports of cold rooms. I turned down the radiators which were all at Max, but the room remained uncomfortably hot for some time. The lighting in the room was minimal and so it was quite dark in some places.

But the biggest problem was the traffic noise. The hotel is set back and up from the road, and this was a little surpassing, especially when I saw they had secondary glazing. But the traffic noise was loud and intrusive. I should have tried to change rooms but I was too tired having unpacked after a long drive.

So, if you steer clear of any part of the building near the road, this is a very pleasant hotel for an overnight stay - or a longer sojourn perhaps, especially in the summer. I'll go back - but not to room 25!

Room Tip: Check out traffic noise in your room before unpacking - and, if my experience is anything to go by...
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed there last week, strange place. Lovely reception and public rooms but the passages to our room were dirty, unkempt and cold, stained carpets and dirty windows. In our bedroom, I accept its an old building, but we laid in bed under the window with a draught blowing all night. Bath dirty so had to get someone to clean it, yuk! bedside lamps so dim couldn't see to read. Breakfast was a tragedy. My husband ordered his, although it was luke warm at least it turned up. My order was wrong so went back, 30 minutes later I asked what was going on only to be told the chef had forgotten it, when my vegetarian breakfast came it had bacon on it! They took off my breakfast price but I was starving. Not good. They really need to get their act together. Nice staff though, feel sorry for them.

Room Tip: Ask for one close to reception or you will walk miles, no lift.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Lynda J
momorice
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Recently stayed here for one night and some aspects are spot on and other fall a bit short.

The Reception check in and check out was short and sweet; they couldn't find my booking at first, not much of a warm welcome not a lot of information given, we had to ask where everything was; dinner, breakfast etc and again with the check out. The Restaurant and Kitchen were not aware of our dinner booking so the food was a little delayed.

However, the hotel itself is very nice. Our room was a garden view and a good size, which was lovely, although we did find it a little cold (the heating came on later though so we didn't mind so much!). The bathroom was awesome with a huge shower and massive deep bath.

I feel a little bad as this seems like a negative review, but it was really a good night stay and the hotel is lovely. If the Reception staff were a little more warm, welcoming and attentive it really would make all the difference as they are the 'face' of the hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank momorice
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Merchant House
Merchant House
#2 of 4 in Truro
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate

Been to The Alverton? Share your experiences!