$88
Cliftons(Truro)
$115
$108
Official Site
Porthtowan Tourist Park(Truro)(Great Value!)
$17
Pitchup.com
Summer Valley Touring Park(Truro)(Great Value!)
$31
Pitchup.com
  • Free Internet
$88
TripAdvisor
1,005 results
All reviewsalverton manorbeautiful hotelwedding plannercourtyard roombridal suitescallopsrestaurant managermain buildingfour poster bedold buildingwine listlovely groundswaiting staffcity centrestayed for one nightno lifthigh standard
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel has a large emotional connection for me, my family and I have visited many times in the past 14 years, I got engaged and married at this hotel so I was very excited to stay there when the renovation had been done. However, this is a beautiful building which the new owners seems to have forgotten. They have not kept any character in the main part of the building, although the rooms have been updated (as they did need to be) I feel that they were more concerned about making the interior look similar to any other modern hotel rather than in keeping with the hotel. They managed to get a very simple drinks order wrong, and a simple breakfast order wrong as well. The food is over priced and under portioned. The bed in our room (room 2) was atrocious. It squeaked any time we moved and we got little sleep the 2 nights we stayed there. We left a day early but still had to pay for the night we were no longer there for. I managed to get £45 off the bill due to complaining about the bed but they did not seem that fussed. When I wrote a small complaint on their face book page, instead of contacting me they simply deleted my comment. I guess they are not fussed about customer service. To their credit there are a few members of staff that were lovely, but the majority didn't seem as if they wanted to be there. It was a very disappointing stay and I will not be staying there again. If you have not visited there before I suppose you won't know what the hotel was like so you will probably find it adequate, although the attention to detail and the customer service needs to be addressed. However for me it was a complete let down compared to what it used to be. Although the updates were much needed. I feel it has not been done in the right way to keep the character of such an old hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Chloe O
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the Alverton on the 18th June 2013 due to business in Truro. The double room had a number of issues. The first of which was no television, there was no signal. One of the armchairs in the room had the material on its arm torn with stuffing hanging out and the bathroom floor had a covering of carpet. That night I had one of the most uncomfortable nights for many months because the springs in the mattress were pushing badly into the top covering and me.
I complained to reception who informed me that they were waiting for an engineer to fix the tv receiver. As regards the room it was due for refurbishment and the beds and furniture were going to be replaced.The last time the room was re furbished was in the 1990's.
The two receptionists noted my issues with the room but seemed happy to do nothing else.
I travel throughout the UK and near continent staying in hotels two to three nights per week and unfortunately my experience at this hotel regarding the room and service was poor.
The common areas, bar and reception have been refurbished and were of a good standard. The food was average and would not win any awards. There was a total lack of knowledge by some of the waiting staff about the food they were serving..This hotel requires further work, upgrading and training of staff before I could recommend it to others for the reasons made.

Room Tip: Don't use room 9.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
AlvertonManor, Front Office Manager at The Alverton, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

I am disappointed to hear that you did not have a pleasant stay at The Alverton. Unfortunately, room 9 remains the one principal twin room yet to be refurbished this is planned to begin on 14th August.
I am sorry that you felt that your complaints were not going to be taken any further. Regarding your comments on the waiting staff, since your stay the staff have had further training.
If you find yourself in Truro again, please book through me personally, laura@thealverton.co.uk, and I will provide you with a free upgrade.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Had a fantastic meal at the Alverton! Its not somewhere that crossed my mind before when thinking of a meal out in Truro, but the whole hotel is having a complete makeover and the restaurant has been fully modernised and now looks fantastic. They've really brought the decor bang up to date and the whole place has a great ambience and style! Approaching the manor there is a sense of the history of the place. apparently the building was once a nunnery, built of the same stone as Truro Cathedral. Its ancient walls and grand style in the setting of beautiful gardens really gives a sense that this place has a real history. Yet, the big suprise, was after entering the impressive old doors, and stepping into a fantastic modern restuarant and cocktail bar thats really tastefully decorated and as impressive as any classy restaurant anywhere. Of course, its the food that matters... and... thats terrific too! I visited for an eveing with the whole family and my daughter's boyfriend. The staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Rod gave us a great welcome, ade us feel so at home and checked everything was well occasionally throughout the meal. I ordered one of my favourites, a Moules Mariniere in cidre, for the starter, and it was gorgeous. Perfecttly cooked, with a delicious cider/onion sauce, without overloading with cream. Lush! Other's at the table raved about their scallops. For the main course, I chose the pan fried Sea bass with crab and saffron Rissotto... another triumph, cooked to perfection. My wife also fell in love with her seafood bouillabaisse whilst my daughter and her boyfriend loved their cha-grilled aged fillet steaks. (something I must try on another visit!). Big thanks to Clare who served our table all evening. It was great to be served with a smile and in such a friendly relaxed manner. There was an extensive wine list on offer, and it was a problem to select! (My daughters had no such problem though ! They got through several cocktails... and they had to try each others to work out their favourites!). And to finish, I went for the rhubarb and custard battenburg cheescake. A great inventive idea. Full house! All three courses were bang on! Others around the table enjoyed sharing a selection of chocolate desserts on a tasting plate and a Peach and Apricot frozen nougat with raspberry meringue and shortbread. Phew! What a wonderful meal. Give it a go, if you want a special treat! Finally, do take the time to vist the Great Hall whilst at the manor as we did before you leave. Apparently it was once a chapel with a wonderful vaulted ceiling. Its an impressive room and they had been serving meals here whilst the restaurant was being updated. Thanks to all the staff, the waiters, thechef (and my girls want to thank the barman too ... they loved the cocktails!).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank clivethegadget

It is great to hear that locals are now venturing to The Alverton and are enjoying our new menu. I have passed on your compliments, regarding the cocktails to Alex Dixon, our new bar manager.
You'll be pleased to hear that we have just received a rosette form the AA for our food.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I wil start by explaining why with such a title I only gave the hotel 4 stars not 5. This is simp;y becasue they were still ( and possiby still are) in the process of refurbishing which meant some minor problems were evident. However, any problems which did arise due to the refurb were quickly and smilingly dealt with by the staff, and I have to add that watching some of the work in progress added an aditional degree of interest.

The staff had been especially helful when I was booking the room a few months before we went at the end of May, as I required specific items to facilitate my disability and the use of my mobilty buggy. The only draw back was that I couldn't get the buggy to our room as planned due to a too narrow dog-leg. However we were kindly allowed to use the back entrance, going in past the kitchens etc. which solved the priblem.

Our room was delightful. A mini-suite in effect with its own small seperate seating area, with a beautiful desk and chair, plus TV/DVD player and sofa. The latter unforutunatley was not very comfortable as I think it must have been designed by a 6' 6" man so for those of us of shorter stature and with short legs simply could not sit back in the sofa. (which we discovered was a sofa bed). The whole room, including a huge bathroom with walk-in shower had only just been refurbished.

The food was very nice,particulaly towards the end of the week by which time they were operating the new menu which changed, at least in some details, every night. Initially we were disapointed as there was little on the menu which we personally would chose, but with using the bar menu as well this was oversome. Service was always excellent, and the head-waiter in particular went out of his way to be helpful. The old chapel, where we dined most evenings and also had breakfast, was full of old world charm. I sincerely hope this will NOT be changed excepet perhaps for a lick of paint.

Being a hsitorian and lover of old buildings we always try and stay in country house hotels that have a real atmosphere. The Alverston has this in spades, though I have to say that personally I didn't like some of the new fittings being ultra modern and which I didn't think really went with the old world charm of the building - but that is my personal taste.

All in all we had a lively week's holiday and were well looked after by the staff, and I woldn;t hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff either onthe phone or via e-mail about your personal needs ( e.g. a walk in rather than over bath shower) before booking. Rooms at eh back overlooking the garden area are quiter and with lovely views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

It is great to hear that although the hotel was under refurbishment it did not affect your stay. I am pleased to hear that you felt very accommodated by the staff and service, and that you enjoyed our brand new menu.
Kind regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had a massive shock when we walked through the new glass doors & into the new look Alverton. We guessed it would be nice but we were genuinely " go smacked " by the transformation. We hardly recognised the place! The decor is very classy, comfortable & bang up to date. A long bar serving cocktails replaces the "boring old fashioned lounge" that was there before. The restaurant looks amazing! It really does need to be seen to be believed. Especially if you have been there before as it it soooo different. Clare & her very smiley staff looked great in their new uniforms & were very proud of their new surroundings. Our table overlooked the immaculate gardens & newly furnished Terrace. Kerryn looked after us & she was lovely. I had scallops ( a first for me! ) while my husband & daughter had the soup. Thoroughly enjoyed by us all. We had the fillet steak for our main & I have to say cooked perfectly to our liking. My husband is one of life's complainers ( Bless Him! ) but enjoyed every mouthful. We don't normally "do" dessert but had to try the Rhubarb& Custard Battenberg Cheesecake & the Pimms Jelly & Mint Ice Cream was to die for. So unusual! We will definitely be back to try some more dishes on the menu or maybe a cocktail or two in the bar. I would highly suggest sweeping up the drive, parking up in the huge car park & take a look inside the beautiful Alverton. I promise you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mcspain

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the newly refurbished interior of The Alverton. You'll be happy to know that we have just been awarded a Rosette from the AA for our food.