“REALLY LOVELY STAFF. BUT HOTEL NOT YET UP TO STANDARD” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Alverton

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Truro
Bristol, United Kingdom
“REALLY LOVELY STAFF. BUT HOTEL NOT YET UP TO STANDARD”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We booked on a 'Wowcher' deal. I could see why as we have done this before.
The hotel is undergoing what seems a big refurb. It will be very lovely on completion in about 2 to 3 weeks.
Workman everywhere some areas closed [no effect on us]

However why was our room tired and a bit shabby could we have not had a nice or refurbed one? to encourage us back?
It was No 9 with a view to the back. [It was cute with stairs to a bathroom en suite.]
No cold water on arrival.
Unable to wash, drink or use the loo.
Mentioned to reception. Apologised and promised a fix [no time scale] but went out in the end to get a drink and used the public loos. Washed later [ugh]
Ripped arm on the chair covers, bed springs showing through on one bed, black mouldy shower cubicle with lumps of mould on bottom door rails. Centre drawer on dressing table jammed and bottom fell out. No lift and narrow uncleaned un vacuumed stairs. [bits of paint/plaster and a plastic clip stayed there three days]
Staff especially Dan and Tony. The new restaurant manager, plus reception staff so lovely engaging and helpful.
Breakfast and evening meal super too. Prices reasonable for fine [ish] dining.

1 Thank Andrew P
AlvertonManor, Front Office Manager at The Alverton, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room and would have preferred a refurbished room. Unfortunately, during the time that you stayed at The Alverton there were no upgrades available. In regards to the maintenance you should have been issued with a timescale, I will personally look into this.
I am pleased that the staff were helpful and engaging and your comments have been passed forward to them.
The Alverton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here for two nights whilst on business locally. The Alverton is within easy walking distance of the city centre. The hotel is currently undergoing refurb but this did not spoil my stay. The work seems to be programmed to minimise disruption and to keep the hotel working. Check in was warm and very welcoming. I had a drink in the bar and then dinner. Service was superb (Dan and Kerryn) who catered for my every need, were courteous and helpful and regularly checked that everything was okay. Food was excellent quality.. absolutely first class.

It seems I took the last available room (a single) and whilst I normally take a double, the single room was actually more spacious than I expected.

The owner has some excellent staff members and would do well to keep them happy in their jobs; they are without doubt a great asset.

I review lots of hotels and this is certainly one I would recommend and would definitely re-visit. I'd love to see it once the refurb is complete!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary092
It is wonderful to hear that despite the work you had a wonderful experience at The Alverton.
Your compliments have been passed onto the staff. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

we stayed here recently and there was a lot of work going on for the better because all of the rooms are being updated and all the grounds are looked after brilliantly. the location is alittle out of town but good for walking into the city.we had a suite and it was lovely walked in the door and it was wow brilliant. the suite was £139 for the night well worth it .luxury for not to much money as a treat. our suite was no 2 which was newly been updated .the breakfast is good and the buffet is nice really a nice hotel with lots of charcher

Room Tip: no2 a suite with lots of room or no 7 which is alittle more of the manor style
1 Thank shirley o
Thank you for your kind comments. We are always very pleased to hear when people have enjoyed their stay at The Alverton.
Warrington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Alverton is a beautiful building but its inside failed to live up to its exterior. Restoration is ongoing and if this is the service guests recieve then I suggest you close the doors until you are done. The bar is closed and an unwelcoming makeshift one of several leather sofas crammed into a room with a few bottles and unmanned till are all you have. Its the last place you want to be in so we fled the hotel in search of another bar to spend some of our bank holiday in. Breakfast was a farce of tables needing to be cleared and no clean ones set up. We cleared our own space and waited for service. The buffet part of the meal was decimated with nothing left and they only replenished one bowl out of the many for us to choose from for fruit etc. We had booked in and prepaid for two nights in a suite and disliked it so much that we booked ourselves into a different hotel at extra cost for the second night. It feels like an old peoples home and thats no joke! I am glad it is being restored as it is a fantastic building and could be an amazing place to stay but right now it is all sorts of wrong. Please turn it into a hotel to be proud of as it deserves it.

1 Thank Sara F
I am very saddened to hear of the disappointment you felt of The Alverton. We have now completed our renovations. I encourage you to return to experience the new bar/brasserie and a refurbished bedroom. If you do wish to return, contact me directly via email: laura@thealverton.co.uk.
Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Quoting mikeh83sea "The building is a fantastic place, and one to look at for the architecture. The welcome was very nice and polite. But that's where it all ended. I have tried to take into account that there was a lot of work being done, redecorating and so on, but, this hotel does not match its perceived status."
More than redecorating - they're refurbishing the whole place right through and, looking at the evidence, it must have been in a pretty sorry state. They will be spending a fortune. Work went on very largely when guests were out which shows great consideration and helps minimise the impression of staying in a building site. When it's finished it will be an impressive venue.
How much is this rolling over into the day-to-day business; that's hard to say and is where a reviewer may start to be unfair so, dear reader, lean towards a sympathetic point of view.
The food was not at all special. Breakfast had a good range on offer and the smoked haddock with poached egg was very flavoursome; the King's Breakfast (smoked salmon and scrambled egg) was by comparison pretty ordinary. Things had a tendency to run out but maybe the ongoing disruption is not helping. The evening menu was small and uninteresting. I had the sea-bass (when the lemon sole ran out) and it was awful - slimy skin (it should be charred) and a minute portion (were they in danger of running out of that as well and serving half portions?). Nearly the whole room seemed to be eating fish and discussion amongst our party veered to suggesting that, having had meat the evening before, they were not going near it again! So, there's a deal of improvement needed in the kitchen.
The room we had was brand new refurbished, very comfortable bed, all facilities needed (though they should have been topped up during our three day stay and were not) and with a decent outlook onto the grounds.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The location is pretty good, a 5-10 minute walk to the city centre. The traffic congestion outside was horrific all day long (and in May: - Heaven knows what August looks like!) but there's nothing you can do about that.
Overall a disappointment but the place has the chance to develop into a prestige operation (if they sort the food).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Firstly, may I thank you for your fair and balanced review. I am pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful and also, that you liked your refurbished room.
I apologise that you were disappointed by the food. As the refurbishment is now complete we have hired new head chef, Paul Stephens - for the bar/brasserie. Paul has now implemented a new menu. This has just received a rosette from the AA.
Epsom, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

The building is a fantasic place, and one to look at for the architecture. The welcome was very nice and polite. But thats where it all ended. I have tried to take into account that there was a lot of work being done, redecorating and so on, but, this hotel does match its percieved status.
I was in room 33, probably the furthest away from reception. The new flooring did not meet up with the skirting boards and whilst the bathroom was very large the shower cubicle is one of the smallest I have ever had to use. There was no hot water in the morning, when calling to report this, all I was told was to leave the tap running the water would warm up. This turned out to be true, as it never got hot, even after 15 minutes of running all three hot taps.

The room was OK and had a nice view of the grounds and the bed was comfortable. However the lock on the door only needed the slightest turn of the key to open it, indeed when I got the room it was open. There is an exit very close by which was left proped open all the time, so I did not feel very secure, to the pont that I moved the chair to block the door when I was in the room.

The bar was none existant and no draught beer, in saying that it was set up in a meeting room temporarily. The restaurant had what I would class as a limited choice, the pan fried sea bass could never have seen a frying pan as the skin was wet and not crispy, the mashed potatoe was certainly not fresh. Breakfast was a tad better but who knows of a restaurant that runs out of brown bread 10 minutes after opening? the poached egg was one of the worst I have seen as was stringy and falling apart, it also had not been drained very well so there was a lot of water on the plate. Watery baked beans is not my thing.

On check out I mentione the hot water issue and lack of bread etc, the best they would offer was a £10 reduction to the bill.

Would I return? only if I could find anywhere else

Room Tip: Dont stay in room 33
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had two rooms on a room only basis for one night. We were wowed by the drive up to the hotel...it was beautiful! We entered the hotel through an old castle door and into a well decorated and tastefully modern reception. Staff were efficient, if slightly aloof. It was quite a long walk up to our room, navigating what felt like a lot of fire doors, but when we were arrived we were delighted by our rooms, they were large, tastefully decorated and very well equipped. We can't comment on food, as we had a special 'room only; deal which offered incredible value.

The hotel was within walking distance of the city of Truro and easily accessible from the ring road. The location is ideal for exploring the city or further afield and I would certainly have no reservations in booking to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am very pleased that you were 'wowed' by The Alverton. Should you revisit I highly recommend that you sample the food.
The Alverton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,026 reviews
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 25 in Falmouth

Been to The Alverton? Share your experiences!