“Brilliant Staff but the hotel is past its best” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Alverton

The Alverton
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Truro
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Staff but the hotel is past its best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst on business in Truro and actually held a meeting in the hotel on one of the days.

I arrived at about 7pm in the evening and the taxi driver that brought me asked me why I wasn't staying at a different hotel, which I have to say was not a great start to my stay. He then proceeded to give me direction to the reception desk, which was a little hidden with no signage.

On arrival the staff were very polite (perhaps a little over helpful) and checked me in very quickly and with the correct details and insisted on showing me to my room and carrying my luggage which was unecessary and refused.

Getting to the room was a labour and up 5 flights of small stairs, the lighting in poor and the steps could be a little difficult in some circumstances and you begin to wonder what you have let yourself in for. On entering the room, you search for a light switch, which illuminates a lamp, on searching for a ceiling light there is not one there -- which leaves the room really poorly lit, especially when working in the evening. The room was really, really tired and in a poor state. The carpet was old, tired and stained, the decoration was poorly executed with paper coming off the wall and the soft furnishings were very shabby. This was offputting. However the furniture was lovely and seemed to be of a very good quality and functional.

THe bathroom was very poor, the absence of a shower was problematic but not as bad as the fact that there was carpet on the floor and up the sides of the bath and a toilet that flushed only periodically.

The whole room had a feeling of being shabby and done on the cheap (the do not disturb sign was a laminated card held together with a peice of string). The room was comfortable and reminiscent of sleeping in your grandmothers spare room - you sleep well and have your home comforts but you dont feel pampered and things dont have an air of quality.

We had lunch in the hotel on the day of meeting, which was an uninsipiring sandwich and french fries, this was not somwehere that I would eat again.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and worked hard!

Things I liked
Comfortable beds
Quiet (until someone started drilling next to my room on the second morning!!!)
Nice building in nice grounds
Very good location
Great staff

Things I disliked
Shabby and past its best
Food leaves a lot to be desired
No Wi-Fi

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Charlieandaustinsmum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and parents at the latter part of 2011. The hotel has a classic, old English feel, exacerbated by the decor, food and importance of service. The hotel benefits from being in a great location to visit Truro. Will definitely visit again and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxed weekend break.

Room Tip: It is certainly worth paying for a Suite or Deluxe room as these are more spacious and have beautifu...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura S
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

My husband and I had our wedding reception at Alverton Manor last year and we couldn't fault a thing - it was everything I had imagined and more . Amy the wedding planner was there at every step and nothing was too much trouble - she is a great asset to the hotel. The food was outstanding - we ate there a few months before and it was inventive and delicious - and on the day I couldn't fault anything, it was just perfect. As with some of the other reviews, some of the bedrooms are slightly outdated but this is a small price to pay for a four poster bed and seperate living room, over looking the grounds, and for the helpful at every turn staff. The great hall is such an impressive venue for a wedding and I would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anon100123
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

Friendly staff, spacious and clean rooms with comfortable beds, traditional, if not slightly dated decor.
The hall where the wedding reception took place had a lovely vaulted ceiling as this is an old manor house. The food and service was very good.
The grounds surrounding the hotel were lovely and you could relax with a drink on a fine day. Most rooms also had a lovely view, some of the pretty garden.
It is near Truro centre and a short drive from the coast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rockandrose21
Blackwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

Only stayed here as head office had booked the room otherwise would have liked to stay somewhere else.
Really great staff, very polite and attentive. Both evening meal and breakfast were pretty good but unfortunately the rest of the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. I had a deluxe double as there was nothing else available, big room with three seater setee and chair which was quite worn, big bathroom but unheated. This resulted in a very brisk shower!
If the rooms and communal areas were refurbished, the heating system and wi-fi sorted this could be a nice hotel!
The staff deserve it!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
South Shields, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Had 1 night here - and was really looking forward to it having seen the website.

On arrival - the hotel has the WOW factor and the receptionist could not have been more friendly - and radiating enthusiasm.

The room was clean - but dated and would benefit from a facelift - its just "old fashioned" I guess - but not really for us. Dinner and breakfast were just ok - nothing to rave about - or complain about!

Its quite an unpleasant walk into Truro city centre along a busy dual carriage way - but once there Truro is charming - with some lovely places to eat (Mannings) and for a drink (William IV)

Would I return to Truro - YES - would I stay at the Alverton Manor - probably not

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Myself and a colleague stayed her for a few nights, as unfortunately my company could not get us booked into the normal chain hotel in the area as they were all booked up. This did not worry my colleage and I in the slightest, as we ended up with a suite each at a very reasonable cost of £120 per night per suite with breakfast included.

When I say a suite, thats exactly what I mean. A four poster bed, 2 sitting rooms, a huge bathroom, 2 TVs in case you did not like what was showing on the one, some lovely decorative touches and some great chests for keeping the tea and coffee in and a great BIG teddy bear on the bed when we arrived in each room.

The girls on reception were very attentive to us and the welcome was superb. We were shown to our suites by a lovely mature gent, who told us a little about the hotel whilst we walked to the suites. The rooms were amazing and nothing like either of us expected.
My colleague got the suite with the four poster bed, much to my disgust, but I did not suffer to much, as I had a 7 foot sleigh bed instead, that was so comfortable, I did not want to get up for work the following morning.

Breakfast was a little slow and the tables were a little sticky, but this did not detract from what a lovely hotel, great staff and a good breakfast that we enjoyed. I would not hesitate to come back here again, as I enjoyed the stay a lot, as did my colleague who continues to tell people about it even now.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
The Greenbank Hotel
The Greenbank Hotel
#2 of 25 in Falmouth
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,026 reviews

Been to The Alverton? Share your experiences!