“Lovely - well cooked food”

Falmouth Bay Seafood Cafe
Ranked #4 of 181 Restaurants in Truro
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Thank you if you reviewed our seafood cafe. We would love to see you again and if you would like to reserve a table please book online, or call the restaurant, as tables are on a first come basis. Our menus are changed seasonally to enable us to utilise the best and freshest local ingredients. Have a look at our delicious Winter 2016 Menu now. We appreciate the market is demanding simple local produce and unhurried service and, although our dishes are dominated by fresh fish and seafood, we now offer a non fishy and vegetarian option. We work closely with our suppliers and fishermen to make sure the fish we serve is caught in the least wasteful way which can mean line-caught fish, pot-caught seafood or fish caught in gill nets with big holes in them so they only catch the larger fish and let the small ones through. We try only to serve fish and seafood when it is in actually in season. That's why there's no lobster and crab on the menu in the winter. You will never see tuna or shark on our menu because we don't believe you should import fish from other countries when we have perfectly good alternatives here. We also avoid using fish which are being over-stretched. And finally we may not always have everything on the menu. Sometimes the fish don't bite, or come late into season, have too much roe or are not big enough for us to feel comfortable about buying them. It's the price we have to pay to do the right thing and we'll always try and have an alternative. Come and enjoy a quintessentially British approach to oyster consumption in our elegant venue in the stunning grade II listed Castle Villa building on Castle Street, Truro, with its romantic setting overlooking Truro River. The unpretentious surroundings are matched by an easy-drinking wine list, wonderful local seafood and much more. The food in the Seafood Cafe is prepared by our head chefs Garrie Lawrence and Valerie Thomson in our open kitchen while you watch and wait and the rugged oyster fishermen of the River Fal peer down from the walls in print while you eat. The menu is typically seasonal and the signature oysters and seafood are principally sourced from around Cornwall and the West Country. The more ambitious will take time to enjoy Plateau de Fruits de Mer, fresh crab salad, local lobster and mussels, Fish of the Day and many other things on the menu to fill a gap at less than ten pounds a plate. "The informality of the Seafood Cafe makes it a great meeting place. My main aim is for customers to leave with smiles on their faces - I love it when customers compliment the food and the service. I think a hands-on approach helps to keep both staff and customers happy."
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I had lunch at the Seafood Café (for the first time) recently on one of our regular trips to Truro.

Shared the crab claws for starters. Excellent - with small dish of dipping garlic butter. Next - had the Lobster & Crab Linguine and the fish soup - again both excellent tasty dishes. For main course we had the Fillets of Pollock and the Mixed Fish Goujons. The Pollock was cooked perfectly and was very succulent. My only gripe was the size of the portions, particularly on the dishes I had. The Linguine - which was a main course portion - was the size I would expect of a starter. Also, my Pollock (advertised as fillets) was actually one fillet and pretty small at that. We had a bottle of the Sauvignon - which was tasty and good value.

Overall - I would rate this place quite highly. The quality of the food, the restaurant itself and the staff were all very good. We will definitely return - when hopefully the portion sizes have increased slightly.

1  Thank Turbotman
Write a ReviewReviews (1,450)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely meal here on Wednesday evening. We started off by sharing the crab claws and the special of crab salad. Both were highly enjoyable. The claws were particularly succulent and served with garlic butter. I was so pleased that instead of just being poured over the top the melted butter was served in a little dish so that you could use as much or as little as you wanted. The salad dressing was also extremely tasty.

For the main course I chose the crab and lobster tagliatelle and my husband chose another special, crispy sole served with pickled cucumber and dill with a serving of saute potatoes. Again both dishes were a pleasure to eat. The pasta was very filling. If we hadn't both shared that then I think I would have wanted a few vegetables with the sole dish. This could have been ordered as a side dish - but as we both filled up on the tagliatelle this wasn't required.

All in all a very enjoyable evening. It wasn't cheap but you do have to pay for quality. We like the new venue. It's a lot less cramped and has a nice ambiance.

1  Thank 609Jan
Reviewed August 21, 2013

G'day
I lived in Aussie for 12 years (currently live in London) and can honestly say that even the famous Aussie prawns felt like shrimps compared to the ones in this restaurant, especially the big pile that I got. I visited on a Sunday when the Jazz band was there, and it was great. The Sea Food Buffet was fresh and tasty and plenty of it. The staff were very helpful and made us laugh a lot. The Crabs were beaut, even better than the Bluey's caught only in Aussie, and boy-o-boy that's saying something.

1  Thank Colin D
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We came here for my sisters hen party on the 20th of July, and there were 20 of us. We had a fantastic evening, with some of the best seafood we have had in Cornwall. I recommend the sea bass which was delicious. My sister had the grilled lobster and it was cooked to perfection. The wine we had was lovely and the table was decorated for us to match our vintage theme.

I highly recommend this restaurant, it's perfect for when you are looking for somewhere special in a relaxed atmosphere. I can't wait to return next month.

2  Thank Carly2808
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Excellent food, good wine, friendly service and a super ambience - all the makings of a most enjoyable lunch.
David L