“Lunch at Bustophers”

Bustophers Bar Bistro
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Cape Cod meets Cornwall is how we'd describe this city centre Cornish bistro which is renowned for its progressive and seasonal modern British menu. Decorated in stylish rustic colours with minimalistic hardwood furniture, a zinc-topped bar and a glass-roofed atrium, Bustopher's Bar Bistro is a cosy family-run venue that is a hit with both Truro locals and visiting gourmands alike. The kitchen specialises in creating bold dishes from Cornish produce and simple British traditions, and the wine list here is excellent. Popular dishes include the seared tuna steak with a warm side of sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes and spinach with sauce vierge; the bowl of River Fal mussels; and the pork belly with seasonal vegetables.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Greatly enjoyed having lunch with my family at Bustophers today. Interesting to be able to see the chefs at work from parts of the bistro. Loved the food and would recommend it. The honeycomb crunch served with the home made ice cream was delicious!

Unfortunately I was not so enamoured with the front of house staff. Behind the bar is not the place to be refreshing your makeup. Nor should you wipe something out of a wine glass with your finger and then proceed to pour wine into it. What a shame :(( Perhaps it was just a lapse - it will not put me off going, but I will be sure to keep my eye on the bar as my drink is being prepared.

Bustophers, Manager at Bustophers Bar Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Hi Pam,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the food and your visit in June. I would like to thank you for also taking the time to write a review and to provide us with feedback.
The points you raise about the bar staff have been raised and addressed. We have had a number of changes to our front of house team recently and as result have had all staff partaking in a great deal of training to improve product knowledge, service standards and customer care. I am sure what you witnessed won't be happening again.
We hope to see you back with us again soon

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Excellent food in a Wine Bar atmosphere in the centre of Truro. Staff friendly and efficient. Good wine list. A little expensive.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Came here for a families wedding anniversary, good food, however small portions and not a large menu to choose from - with two specials (one sold out) and two or three meals from menu also sold out... Nice for a occasion, won't be rushing back any time soon

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I think the food at Bustophers is not as good as it used to be! I've been there a couple of times now and I think the quality has gone downhill! Especially the steak!
Its not a cheap place to go either!!

Hi John,

I would like thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback of your experience here at Bustophers.
I am disappointed that you didn't enjoy your meal with us back in May. We have tweaked the menu slightly since the time of your last visit and as a result changed the steak dish. Changing the cut to a sirloin and butchering it on site in order to be able to make the dish cheaper for the customer.
Our new campaign of 'Back to Bistro' is to ensure that our customers are provided with extremely tasty food and value for money in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
We hope that you come back and give us another try soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

The value for money has become very poor of late. Also quality has slipped. The wine list and the excellent staff are whatjuatabout saves it.

1  Thank Perranman