“Surprisingly delighted”
Review of Gwel Tek Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Truro
Gwel Tek Lodge
Ranked #15 of 19 Truro B&B and Inns
Uk
“Surprisingly delighted”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We were really worried when we read the review as we had booked a week in Gwel Tek Lodge. We were delighted that we had a totally different experience. Our room was clean, quite spacious and had a great view over Truro. The bathroom was immaculate and the shower was fine.

The owner gave us good advice about the City and where to go in Cornwall and we had a great stay. The breakfast was good and substantial, especially as you can help yourself to toast etc. We also left our phone charger there which was posted back to us straight away.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — ceilings
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Solo
Business
far away from Truro
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I booked the family room for two nights - it cost a total of a hundred and sixty quid, which turned out to be a total rip-off.... I hadn't realised that there is Premier Inn in Truro, or I would have stayed there instead - the chains may be dull, but at least you can be reasonably sure that they will be clean. The B&B website shows a nice self-contained "coach-house" family room, and that's what I thought I was getting.... but Oh no!

Our room was incredibly cramped, with a double bed and bunks for the two children. Once we had our overnight bags in, there was no space at all.... if someone wanted to move about everyone else had to sit on a bed.

The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the light in the bathroom didn't work, the bathroom (well, shower) was absolutely tiny, and the sliding door was almost impossible to open, and wouldn't close properly. It was so small, that after showering (the shower did at least work, although the height adjustment was broken, obviously) I had to sit on the loo to dry my feet... there simply wasn't room to bend down and do it! The basin was falling off the wall, and again, because the room was so small, bending down to wash my face meant banging my bum on the wall, and/or my head on the sink.... ghastly.

The whole building smelled of damp - and there were suspcious stains on the ceiling too - and the floor of our room didn't look like it had been hoovered in ages. All in all it felt like a squalid hostel for down-and-outs. Now I understand why they take such a hefty (non-refundable) deposit with bookings... trust me, if I hadn't had to cough up most of the cost we would have left as soon as we arrived.

One piece of grim humour - there was a certificate in the guest's info pack proudly stating that the matresses had been deep cleaned and were free from bugs and mites etc...... only the certificate was issued in 2006 !!!!!! SO there's only two years' worth of accumulated filth on the matresses then?!

The breakfast was OK, standard stuff.... but room, OMG, the room.... bloody awful. Ours was at least at the back of the building... which is just as well, because the property is on the very busy main road, and I guess that rooms at the front will be NOISY.

Stayed May 2008
mitchy5, Owner at Gwel Tek Lodge, responded to this review, June 9, 2008

I will clarify a couple of points.

The rate is £30 per adult and £10 per child, which is in line with most guesthouses in the area. This includes a full cooked breakfast and parking.

We request a maximum of a £30 deposit unless it is a very long stay. This is because we have had a number of no shows from guests in the past. We always refund this deposit when guests have had to cancel with good reason and would definitely refund it if a customer was not happy. We have far too many happy guests to need to hold on to unhappy ones.

We always ask guests to pay the balance at the end of their stay and not on arrival. This is also so that if there is a problem it can be rectified.

Our website does show our coach house. It is an example of one of our rooms. If it is full we will always describe the alternative accommodation on offer. Every room has been checked by the AA and has been given a 3 diamond rating.

Travelers are raving about these Truro hotels