6,725 results
All reviews african theme wet room richard burton huge bath the wow factor star hotel pili pili half board stunning hotel family room moonlight cinema separate toilet gran canaria sand dunes news channels kids club the lazy river pool
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Booked with First Choice for our 1st holiday with our Baby & doubt we will use them again. From afar the hotel looks stunning but it don't be fooled, its structure is poor, still incomplete & definite safety issues. We arrived at 2am, no one was around to help with luggage, not offered a drink, mini bar empty & from a 5 hour flight plus few hours till we settled in hotel is just really bad plus my Husband was Porter for the night & had to carry all the luggage to our room. Room was dirty & twin beds even though First Choice confirmed double.We asked for a view and got a view of some unused land which looked like a dumping ground. In the morning had shower and it could had been fatal.. a bolt came flying out from the shower missed our baby. We then looked up and saw there was a leak & ceiling was hanging! We were of course shocked and upset. After much persuasion and a engineer check they moved us to another room. Walls are too thin, you can hear next door walking, talking, drawing curtains, going to the toilet. We had read reviews about the hotel but thought everyone has their own opinion and we should be a bit open minded but I wish I hadn't booked this place. I am absolutely amazed that anyone could call this 5 star, there was no service. Everytime we went for a meal we had to wait & the tables were uncleared & dirty. No staff about, hard to even get a drink. Sauces in sachets, food marked Vegetarian but had meat. There were a lot of flies around, sitting on the food. Some of the hot food was cold, meat was raw.Oh, be warned about Late Checkout... because they first said yes and then last minute said no we dont do late checkouts on weekends. My Husband even offered more money or to upgrade as our flight was 1:55am and they said we had to checkout the day before at midday. We were of course very upset, how were we going to manage with a Baby to feed, change & sleep. Their toilets had no baby facilities at all. After arguing and begging they extended our checkout to 5pm so we only had 7 hours with no facilities, absolutely appalling. How on earth is this 5 star? The good thing about the hotel, the design and the swimming pools but please be careful if you are pregnant or have toddlers as there are a lot of stray cats in the hotel which mess on the beach pools on the sand , gravel. The good thing about our holiday was we spent time together as a family but we shall never book again with First Choice and never go back to this hotel. For the amount of money we spent I wish we booked the Sheraton instead. In the UK the Travel Lodge & Holiday Inn would have been 10 times better, for service & safety. Anyone looking for a 5 star hotel this is definitely not. Aprrox 30% have given bad reviews on this hotel and thats a big percentage for a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Asha1974
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I stayed 7 nights in the hotel with my partner and our 1 year old baby. I can say the facilities are very good, the location is ok but the service is very poor. If you are looking for a good looking hotel this one will be Ok, but if you are service seeker don´t choose it.
The beach is 15 minutes away from the hotel, walking. There are some nice shops in the 3 shopping malls that are close to the hotel (Oasis, Faro Boulevard, Varadero)
The pools are quite nice and all the areas around are ok, except that the areas are very crowded of guest that sometimes are not as polite as you would expect on a 5 star hotel. Our baby enjoyed the artificial beach but sometimes it was very difficult to find a free place near the pool, specially if respect the hotel policy and take your towels with you when you leave the pool for more than 30 minutes. No one did it...we did it and found out that you will not find a place when you return after lunch.
The guests are mainly germans and spaniards, most of them for sure never been in a 5 star hotel.
The rooms are modern and clean, probably the best item in the hotel.
The service is very poor specially in the restaurants where no one seems to care if you have a pile of dirty plates in the table. They only care about one thing: selling the drinks that are not inlcuded!
Overall, the experience in the hoteal was still positive but very far from what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. But 5 star hotels with 600 rooms are not 5 star hotels, right??

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The Lopesan Baobab is not a hotel that I or my family will be returning to any time soon if at all. We only stay in five star hotels and this hotel struggled to even begin to meet a five star standard. On the plus side the hotel has eight fantastic swimming pools, a kids club and a variety of evening entertainment. After that though it is all down hill.

The food: the food is average at best. Beef practically every night, rice and pasta. Tthe vegetables are mush, the salad and dessert selection totally uninspiring. And it is the same food night after night. No selection, no 'theme' nights of indian or chinese for example just to inject some variety. No effort or thought appears to go into meal times. The kids selection is limited. Breakfast was my favourite meal of the day but then you can't really go wrong with that. If you want to eat outside on the terrace of an evening don't expect to be able to see your food. I was told that the hotel was trying to create 'atmosphere' using subdued lighting when infact it is so dark you cannot see what's on your plate. I saw one guest try (unsuccessfully) to move one of the free-standing lamps closer to his table so he could see his meal.

The service: In this hotel NO thought is given to service and this extends throughout ALL areas of the hotel. It seems that once they have got you through the door and got your money, that's where their interest ends. The waiter service is slow in the restaurants. Don't expect to get your drinks ordered or plates cleared any time soon. Same applies to the evening bar service. In reception it is hit and miss. I reported my £200 sunglasses being stolen by another guest from the pool (I saw them being taken from in the pool) and the receptionist's attitude was essentially 'so what?'. When I went back next day to see if they had possibly been handed in she just laughed! The lady in charge of guest services who asked to discuss the feedback we had given her looked like she couldn't care less and was bored. When we asked for a late check out we were simply given a flat 'no'. We were not told that you could book a hospitality room to use for an hour on the day of departure, which can only be booked on the day of departure. We found out too late to then book it.

The rooms: We asked to move rooms after two days as it was so noisy. Turns out it wasn't our neighbours but that every family room is the same (I can't speak for rooms on upper floors). You expect a degree of noise in a hotel but this was beyond unacceptable. Perhaps its the slate floors or perhaps there is a lack of insulation between rooms but we could hear people running, drawing their curtains, talking, taps running. And when the cleaners moved the beds and furnitures the scraping noise could have woken the dead. Room cleaning was basic,the shower repeatedly flooded the room, we had to ask for shower gel and bath robes and the patio door kept jamming. The 'atmospheric' lighting also extends to the bedrooms. The rooms are VERY dark - one bed side lamp and a little wall lighting (which didn't work in our first room). You have to pay a daily charge for the safe (!!) and there is only one english tv channel, which when you have kids and are trying to get ready at night is a bit of an issue. At least my three and eight year old are up to speed on the news now since there was nothing else for them to watch... Wifi was also limited to reception area only.

The gym: can you really call it that? Three machines - a treadmill, bike and cross trainer - and some weights. People queued to use the machines which in turn limited your time on them. The 'gym' didn't open until ten am so the morning work-out became a thing of the past.

As far as this hotel goes we were left biterly disappointed. I still have yet to work out how it earned a five star rating....

1  Thank aak01011
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We were really worried about this hotel as it didn't have the best reviews. We arrived around 11pm and was not impressed when we arrived. It was sooooo dark in the hotel which made my little boy scream as he was quite scared. It looked like a brothal from outside as it was so dingy looking. Once we had a good night sleep we got up in the morning and loved every minute of it, such a beautiful hotel and so different to others. The food is brilliant, got abit bored of it after a week though but it's really nice! So clean everywhere too, was really impressed with the staff cleaning all the time. 8 pools so you didn't feel like you had to get up at the crack of dawn to get a subbed as there was always some available. Most of the staff are really lovely, you get a couple of miserable ones but I suppose you get that anywhere you go. Would strongly recommend this hotel to families. When you have small children you can't really stay up late, the entertainment finishes around 12pm so it's quiet at night which was perfect for us. Defo going back, still got the holiday blues :-(

3  Thank anclkrs
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Reception, all Staff, knows nothing, of each other. All Food, deep Frozen ( I asked, saw and was told ) Gran Canaria = Lloret de Mar ( but bigger ) Rooms OK Swimmingpool cooled ( Wow ) and that's it.
Waiting reception : 25 minutes, Lunch 1 hour, Drinks 30 minutes. ( Drinks are cheap ) Food Horrible.

5  Thank nijdam