“Great Hotel Overall With Some Pros and Cons For Us...”

Lopesan Baobab Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Meloneras
GreenLeadersGold level
Dublin
“Great Hotel Overall With Some Pros and Cons For Us...”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed at the Baobab for two weeks in October 2013 and were pleased we'd picked the Baobab for lots of reasons, although I would add that we're giving the hotel 4 out 5 because while it's rated 5 star there are lots of things which bring it down a notch for us compared to other 5 stars we've stayed in.

There are quite a few pros and cons to staying in this hotel so I'll list them here and then write a more in depth version below if you want to read on...

The PROS for us were:

It's a clean hotel and the toilets around the reception and snack bars were spotless

Impressive architecture and different to run of the mill hotels

Great staff, particularly the bar staff, snack bar staff and buffet restaurant staff who were super friendly

Great location as Meloneras is lovely and quiet and not built up like Playa Del Ingles for example

Bar was great, cocktails were fab, but stick to the Richard Burton Bar as they make the best cocktails

Band in the RB bar were fantastic - called the Rafikis, an African band..they were fab.
Bedroom spacious and balcony is a good size

Variety of food is generally very good, breakfast is great (skip the greasy bacon though) and lots to choose from but dinner can be hit and miss (see CONS below)

Grounds and pools are very well kept, large variety of trees and it doesn't feel like Gran Canaria...they've definitely got the African vibe right

Here are the CONS as we saw them:

Dinner Buffet: there is a LOT of cold food and most of it is seafood or teeny weeny hors d'oevres which look beautiful but don't always taste that great. Same with desserts....they look amazing but taste of nothing special. Our advice to the head chef of the Baobab is that presentation isn't everything and it's more important to get the taste right.

Regarding the food at the buffet...while there are little cards to say what things are, it's not always clear that you're going to get fish or meat in a salad for example. It might say "Chef's Vegetable Salad" but then there are lumps of tuna in it! The buffet does not feel "5 Star" compared to other buffets we've had, but towards the end of our holiday the hotel seemed to have upped their game a little so maybe they've been reading the review on TA and are taking note of what people are saying. The food on our second week was remarkably better than the food on our first one.

The hotel is definitely much more a "family" friendly hotel than a romantic destination, but as a couple in our late thirties we'll definitely go Adults Only next time as way too many screaming and spoiled children running around like lunatics at dinner (if you have kids you'll absolutely love it though...)

There was Cat Poo on man made beach (see my comments further below) which is very dangerous for children

No adult only pool so if you want a swim in The River, get in there early in the morning before the kids take over

Sun Loungers are really hard to lie on, unlike some reviewers we didn't like them

The safe cost us 35 quid for 2 weeks - NO 5 STAR HOTEL SHOULD BE CHARGING GUESTS FOR A SAFE!!!

Towels in bedroom are old and raggy and worn, management need to replace them asap, they're so thin you can actually see through them, same with the napkins at dinner - there were actual holes. Again, not a 5 star experience for us and when you're paying 3 grand for 2 weeks it should be perfect.

No soundproofing between bedrooms. Enough said.

And here is the in depth version if you want to read on...

Immediately when we arrived quite late in the evening from a long flight and seemingly never-ending journey by coach from the airport (we booked with Thomsons like many of the other reviewers) we were greeted by a staff member who took our luggage from us which was a nice touch. On arrival, the hotel itself is impressive architecturally and during our stay our Rep told us that the hotel had cost 110 million to build. It's easy to see where the money went, as the hotel is unlike any other we've stayed in and is indeed, quite unique in its style and ambience. Check in at Reception was long - we queued for 25 minutes waiting to be checked in but another staff member gave us a non-alcoholic cocktail to sip while we waited. As the wait was quite long, we did feel it would have been better to seat people rather than let them stand for so long. We'd been on the go since 11am that morning when we left our house and at this stage it was 9pm and we were starving. The Reception staff were extremely polite and helpful, with the exception of one guy - Alan - who I am sorry to say, is most definitely in the wrong job. We had the misfortune of having Alan as our check out person and it would be hard to meet a more sombre, disinterested receptionist. Unfortunately he didn't even ask us if we'd enjoyed our stay at the end of our 2 week holiday (which, I might add, was not cheap) and he treated us as if we were simply an annoyance to get rid of (we didn't have any complaints or anything but yet we were met with lots of sighing and shoulder-shrugging...never a good idea when you are a receptionist dealing with paying hotel guests).

Our room was clean and spacious and we were very lucky as we'd requested an upper floor room with a pool view and that was what we got. Our room overlooked The River - if you decide to stay here then ask for a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the River, it's the best view in our opinion. On the downside, the walls quite literally are PAPER THIN in this hotel and we could hear everything next door...from their mobile phone vibrating in the mornings (could have been something else but let's not go there...), the sound of peeing in the toilet, toilet flushing, coughing, laughing, speaking etc... Why oh why did the owners of this hotel spend 110 million on building it and put in such horrendously thin walls? The soundproofing really is non-existent...we wear earplugs anyway wherever we travel so you may want to invest in a pair before you go to the Baobab. There is also a lot of noise from outside the bedrooms which isn't helped by an enormous amount of open space and glass between each floor and the ground floor is like a huge atrium filled with plants. Everything is in the open air so it has the feeling of outside being inside, if that makes sense.

We would also mention that the bed was probably the hardest bed we've ever slept in. 5 star luxury it was not. Again, the owner/management seem to have put all the money into the building itself, the grounds etc but things like comfy beds and little luxuries are what makes a hotel feel more 5 star than 4 star. We have stayed in 3 and 4 stars with more luxurious beds.

The hotel generally is very clean and well looked after, however we did have a chipped drinking glass in our room which was there for the entire 2 weeks and the maid did not notice the chip during that time. Neither did she notice the hairs (not belonging to either me or my partner I hasten to add)

We were given a survey to fill out at dinner during our first week which we did and (in Spanish I might add) I wrote on it that the toilet button in our toilet was broken. (it helps if you learn a few words of Spanish before you go by the way...it's generally appreciated by the staff). The toilet button remained broken so either they didn't read our survey or they didn't care about it enough to fix it. The button actually came out of the wall into my hand once and I spent 20 minutes trying to fix it. So my advice is, if you're given a survey to fill out, well, don't bother as they won't actually read it.

The bathroom is a little different to normal bathrooms in that the toilet is one tiny little room (larger sized people take note, you may struggle a bit in this tiny toilet if you are extra large in size), the sink and mirror is separate and is outside the toilet (again, management - why not invest in better lighting if you're going to spend 110 million on a hotel, the lighting makes you look about 20 years older and more tired than you really are so I avoided it as much as possible) and then the shower/bathroom is another room entirely. Be careful of the floor of the shower room as it is slippy and there is no mat to stand on - I had visions of slipping and whacking my head off the side of the bath in dramatic fashion but thankfully it didn't happen as I was extra careful and moved very slowly).

There are numerous pools in the hotel, 8 in total I think but it would have been really great to see just one "Adults Only" pool area like most 5 star hotels we've been to. Instead, every single pool was overrun with screaming kids and babies and we would definitely see this hotel as a family hotel and not a "romantic couples" hotel (unless screaming kids really don't bother you and you're immune to constant whining and whingeing).

On behalf of the children and families who might be considering staying at the hotel I want to mention one very important thing that management do not seem to be aware of. There are several cats on the property and unfortunately they do go to the toilet in the sand of the man made beach, so please be careful if you have little ones running around barefoot. There was a really nice guy sitting near us who had kids and he spent ages trying to dig up all the cat poo and remove it to another location so his kids could play. Unfortunately the smell was so bad we had to move eventually, so it's just something to be aware of.

Overall our experience of the Baobab was a positive one and I've mentioned the band and bar staff in the Richard Burton bar who were outstanding. Big thanks to the excellent restaurant staff who are very friendly (if a little over-enthusiastic....want to take a break to digest but you haven't quite finished your plate? Don't put your knife and fork down on your plate or a waiter will whisk it away while you are blinking).

It's also quite nice being able to order drinks from your sun lounger without having to get up and go to the bar but we'd have expected this service in any 5 star resort hotel.

TIPS:
Buy your bottles of wine, water and beers in the supermarket down the road from the hotel, it's way cheaper and you can put them in the fridge in your room to chill
Bring earplugs for noise - the band play in the bar until 11.30pm each evening so bear this in mind if you like to go to sleep early and get up early
Ask for a room on the third floor - we heard some people complaining about cockroaches and ants etc but we didn't get anything so I suspect ground floor rooms might be more susceptible to crawlies
Bring your own kettle as there is none in the room and we definitely missed making our own cup of tea

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors overlooking pool are the best and you're less likely to see any bugs or co...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Happyfriday_Girl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just came back from Lopesan Boabab Resort and had the best time with my family. Hotel has some great pools and the architecture and décor are beautiful. The place is spotless everywhere and the staff were all so friendly and provided a top service. Really want to revisit this hotel.
Kids were well entertained in the evening which meant we could relax and enjoy the evening.
In terms of food, the selection was varied everyday and generally the quality was sound. However, the hot food found on the hot plates tasted good but was only luke warm and the desserts looked amazing as well as having great flavours but at times were at room temperature rather than being cold, not great. Saying this, I never left a meal dissatisfied as there was always so much variety.
Our room was beautiful and spacious and we were fortunate to have a lovely view of the resort, sea and sand dunes (we were on the 3rd floor of block 3).
My gripe is how savage others are at claiming sun loungers. Sure, the early bird catches the worm but I'm on holiday and want to relax instead of having to wake up at the crack of dawn to make sure I get some sun by the pool. People claim sun loungers and then disappear for hours, seems very unfair.
Saying this, all in all, I had a wonderful experience and I'm already looking to book for next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank lizp239
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous Hotel very helpful staff loads of space great room and wet room only negatives for me where tv channels in English apart from news not that on holiday for tv and the towel brigade up at 7 every day reserving beds pity the hotel didn't collect from unused beds some as late as 2 in the afternoon have booked again May 14

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank M3evodakar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 11 nights in October 2013 for our honeymoon. We bought our 19 month old daughter with us.

We had a very late flight and on arrival was amazed at how beautiful the hotel looked!
All the bars were shut and room service ends at 11pm so there was nowhere for me to get milk for the baby, but reception sorted that out and a carton was bought to our room.
Only negative thing I can say on checking in was because we were late there was no one to help with our bags and at that time of night with a small child it was a real struggle to get to our rooms which was quite a walk from reception.

Our room was beautiful and big enough for the 3 of us!
The bathroom is beautiful with a me massive bath and separate shower.
We had a little balcony with table and chairs which looked over the lazy river pool.
There was a bottle of champagne waiting for us for our honeymoon and a little note from the manager which was a really lovely touch.
Only negative with rooms was 2 single beds pushed together which are on wheels so they moved apart during the night!! Very very annoying. I can see quite a few other people complaining about this so hopefully they can sort this.

The swimming pools are amazing we spend most our time at the 2 near the entertainment as it had shallow parts for the baby to stand up.
There are staff around all day to get you drinks, food or ice creams.
There is also someone out every day until 12 to change your towels.

The pools and everywhere else In fact are spotless every day there is someone cleaning something.

The entertainment was great something to do all day and night.
My husband played ping pong a few times plus watched football in the bar so he was happy

My daughter loved the panche disco which is on every day at 1 and 8 there is always something for the kids like a bouncy castle or mini bikes to ride.
She also enjoyed the cinema which showed a different film each day for the kids.

We only watched a couple of shows which were all great entertainment along with the singers in the bar upstairs.

The food was amazing and always so much choice.

Breakfast was loads of different fruits cakes cereals yogurts breads cold meats cheese salads along with all the cooked stuff-bacon sausage etc

Lunch and dinner loads of different salads meats breads pasta soup

There were different themes to like Italian Chinese and always so much choice for adults and kids.

We loved that one night you got to make your own Kebabs with chicken pitta salads and sauces

We did full board and this was great value for money.

1 day we missed breakfast so had a toasted sandwich by the pool which was lovely.

The staff are beyond helpful and so friendly. Twice my daughter knocked a drink over and they replaced it with no charge.

Rooms are cleaned every day which is lovely to return to a clean room.

Air con was strong and we had to turn it off during the night but was lovely in the day when you returned from the hot weather.

The kids pools are great fun with slides and animals squirting water.
The animals hiding in all the bushes are a great touch and our daughter loved spotted them along with the pond with the fish and turtles which we visited numerous times a day.

All the children are obsessed with panche (fish character) who goes around during breakfast or lunch meeting the kids and also cones out at the end of the disco.
Our daughter got the CD and cuddly toy and still loves them back at home.

The location is great-walking distance to shops, supermarkets, bars, restaurants and amusements which our daughter loved.
Highly recommend grand Italian-best pizza I've ever eaten!

Now a few minor negatives:
Would be nice for some English channels on the tv rather than just news.
Also smoking is allowed everywhere and I think there should just be certain areas as when your laying by the pool and someone next to you is smoking all day it's horrible!
Room service is only until 11pm i have never heard of this before in any hotel I've stayed in, it's normally 24 hours especially in a 5 star hotel.

Apart from the points above we had the most amazing holiday and will defiantly be returning next year.

Thank you for a truly wonderful time. X

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank larzy26
cardiff
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was my first visit to Gran Canaria, I went with my 16 year old daughter and we found it a lovely place.
The hotel is huge but very efficiently run. Check in was very painless and we soon made our way to a large spotlessly clean room. We had to ask for an ironing board but this arrived swiftly, nice bath and shower, comfortable bed's, well stocked mini bar and a large telly although we never switched it on.
Breakfast was fine, we only had dinner there on the first night, this was not overwhelming, but not a major problem because I like to sample the local restaurants when on holiday. We enjoyed the music of an African group in the Richard Burton bar most night's and this was quite good. Previous writer's have mentioned the sunbed problem and they are right in a way, although I think you can always find some they are very busy. We solved this problem quite easily most days by going to the beach which is lovely and 10 minutes walk away.
Anyway a great stay, ultra friendly staff always pleasant although I'm sure they don't get film star wages. I can't give it 5, but I'm sure if I could it would be 4 and a half. Be back some some day.

Room Tip: Our room was a long way from reception, not a massive problem though
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nick a
reading
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We returned a year on from our first visit to the hotel and found it to be just as we remembered: clean and beautiful, with great staff and brilliant facilities. We downgraded this year to a double room, but it was still big enough for us and our two boys, aged 8 and 6, as there was a king size bed (actually, two singles pushed together) plus a double sofa bed. The hotel is kept spotless, as are the many pools and the "lazy river". The restaurant serves a massive selection of foods on a buffet basis. It gets a little manic at the busiest times, when parents and young children are eating - when we were leaving at 8ish it seemed to be getting a little quieter. The hotel was completely full when we stayed, and it felt it. The loungers were all taken by 9am. Everyone else does it, so you just have to head out before breakfast with your towel! The kids club and mini disco (every night 8-9pm) is perfect for younger children - maybe up to 6 or 7 years old. I imagine we may well return as we feel it offers great value for money.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank buchanv
Askim, Norway
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We choose Baobab base on reviews here on Tripadvisor – and was not disappointed! The hotel got some bad reviews when is first started some years ago, but must have “ironed out” any kinks by now as we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there! Our room was overseeing the lower part of the complex with the children’s pools just below – perfect for a family with three boys 3-5 and 8 years old. Have to give extra credits to the restaurant staff as two of our boys can´t eat eggs, dairy or gluten. They far exceeded our expectations and prepared “special” dinners that were just as good as the food the rest of us had. A very good experience all through our stay! And the “early evening” is something our boys will remember for quite some time!

Room Tip: Get a room 3 or 4.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dr3amer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meloneras
Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino
#5 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
Bohemia Suites & Spa
Bohemia Suites & Spa
#2 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Lopesan Baobab Resort? Share your experiences!