“Amazing Hotel!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dublin, Ireland
“Amazing Hotel!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

If you want to experience the sights and sounds of the African Jungle without the nasty smells and flying insects this is the place to go! The hotel itself is really beautiful and the grounds are set out as if one was in the jungle with many very unusual trees and plants along with very realistic looking elephants, zebras, crocodiles and rare birds! I am just back from a week in the hotel with my daughter and one year old granddaughter. After a delayed flight we arrived to find that we had missed dinner and that there was no salad left out for us as is the policy in the two sister hotels in the resort both of which we have stayed in before. Other than that we were very happy with everything. We had requested a room close to reception as the baby's bottles had to be sterilised daily in a room behind the desk. As the hotel is very large it would be important to be close to reception if travelling with a small baby. The restaurant provided a lovely puree for the baby every day at lunch time although we were not having lunch .The food in the restaurant was excellent most nights and in particular the selection of fish was excellent as was the very extensive range of desserts. There was even a chocolate fountain for the children one evening! The hotel really caters for children very well with a separate children's pool and play area with slides etc in the pool. They also had a bouncing castle at the children's club on a couple of the days.There are many pools to choose from and some rooms had sunloungers on their balconies which opened out directly on to the poolside in the quieter pool areas. Free wifi in two of the bars in the hotel .Having stayed in both the Vila Del Conde and the Lopesan Melonoras on a few occasions I would now put the Baobab to the top of my list of places to return to.

Room Tip: Rooms near reception very good for babies but to be avoided if you don't have children as all th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Braoinin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
Reviewed June 7, 2013

After a delayed 22 hour delayed flight I arrived at the hotel to check in only to be told my room had been resold because my travel agent hadn't informed them of the delay. Understandable it was not the hotels fault, however the customer service and they way I was spoken to was terrible. They told me I had no option but to stay in the sister hotel which was not suitable for my young family and to return the next day. After I requested several times to speak with a manager and being persistently ignored by Yasmina the "front of desk manager" Two managers finally spoke to me who told me the truth that they had no intention of getting me a room in there hotel for the rest of my stay and it was just not possible. I had to pay for my own transfers, manage my own cases with my 1 year old and a buggy to the new hotel and the poor service continued! Both of the hotels did not respect my family as paying guests! Because of this ill treatment I only ended up staying for a total of two nights because myself and my family wanted to return home. With all the hassle and travelling my family had been through the hotel was not sympathetic, understanding or willing to help us have enjoyable, comfortable holiday.
I have stayed in many 5* hotels and have never experience such poor customer relations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Canel A
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We had a fab week at the lopesan baobab at the end of April/beginning of may. It really is a lovely hotel with very modern decor and it smelt wonderful everywhere!
All the staff are really friendly and work hard to make sure your holiday is perfect which was very much appreciated.
We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 0123 looks out onto a lovely quiet pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kate S
durham
Reviewed June 3, 2013

we stopped here for 2 weeks in may 2013 and had a fantastic holiday, had previously stopped here for 1 week in may 2012 so knew what to expect. This time we took my parents too and they loved the hotel. We love meloneras resort for the quiet and clean surroundings and yet it it only a short walk to shops and the beach and the baobab is in our opinion the best hotel in meloneras we have stopped at others but the baobab for us is number one. We love the cleanliness of the rooms and the public areas and the lovely gardens and pool areas, there are lots of secluded quiet areas where you can relax in piece without being surrounded by others. The food buffet style is very good with plenty of choice to suit all tastes and the staff are all friendly and polite.
The hotel does cater for families and kids but we avoid school holidays and haven't found this a problem, we have no kids and don't want other peoples kids disrupting our piece and quiet.
The only fault we could find is the lack of English television channels but we took our laptop and movies so this wasn't a problem (safes are big enough to easily fit a standard laptop)
We found the pools cool in the morning but by mid afternoon they had warmed up enough to swim in.
Overall a great hotel and we are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: rooms without a pool view are quieter during the day
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank meloneras-lover
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

When we arrived at this Hotel you are immediately "blown away" at the magnificent entrance. The greeting by the staff was as equally magnificent - you made you feel "extra special". We stayed in a suite on the top floor which was very luxurious and spotlessly clean. The pool areas were also spotlessly clean and there were always plenty of sun beds (we went in February). The food was amazing - always plenty to eat and lots of variety and the displays were fantastic. Although the Hotel was very busy, never had to wait to be seated and the staff in the restuarants were very child friendly.

The location of the Hotel is also very good - just a stroll away from the main promenade and the beach - would highly recommend this Hotel - we are booking again to go this October.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite on the top floor and it was fabulous - did pay a premium for it though!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alison E
barnstaple devon
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We booked with thomsons online a week before we went and so did my brother and his family soon as we got to the hotel I knew it was a good hotel by the area it was in so posh and clean even walking out of the casino at 3 in the morning you felt safe which in 100 yards down the rd which is lopesan to
Hotel
Rooms are great wifi should be free around the hotel you are a 5 star so prove it in the bars is not good enough, outside bars are far too uncomfortable cushions would help Richard burton bar not big enough seen plenty of people walking out we had to make are own table a few times by asking if any one had spare seats,staff were great treated the kids like there own pools were up to standard too good is great only thing to watch is raw meat is cooked as had a couple of uncooked peaces of chicken and pork but will be booking again
meloneras is best place to be

• Stayed May 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We arrived at the Baobab on 20th May feeling very impressed at the magnificent entrance and looking forward to 10 days in the sun. We walked up to the Reception desk and was told that our room wasn't ready which was a bit of a disappointment considering we had booked our holiday 6 months ago. Always looking on the bright side we soaked up some sun in the terrace but after 45 mins standing in the heat with children there was still no sign of our room being ready. I went back to Reception and was told that it was now ready (nice if someone could have told us). We eventually found our room after walking what seemed miles and we were a bit disappointed as we had no view apart from wasteland and a football pitch. Considering we had e-mailed a few months before our arrival asking for a pool view and a high floor with a double bed guess what we got none of these. I was beginning to think that Thomson customers were the poor relations of the hotel and when I asked the Receptionist if we could move rooms she seemed surprised. I explained that we had kids and our room was the furthest away from the restaurant, kids club and entertainment. In the end it was so much hassle we stayed put but it was not the point really. Don't get me wrong the hotel is absolutely beautiful and the grounds and interior are immaculate. The restaurant staff, bar staff and cleaners deserve a medal as they work incredibly hard and deserve tips as a result but unless you have chosen to pay cash as you go I doubt that they benefit much from tips which is a shame. The pools were a bit too cold and the kids often came out with blue lips and shivering which meant that they didn't really stay in them for long. I can't understand why at least 2-3 pools aren't heated but I guess in the height of summer a cold dip is appreciated. The kids club and evening entertainment was a bit of a disappointment also. We specifically chose the hotel for the kids club and facilities but were let down by the lack of organised activities. It took us 3 days to find the kids club and when we did eventually find it we went at the stated time on the timetable and found it all locked up. Activities for kids were very limited. The pool party was basically the mini disco but standing in the water and other than this face painting seemed a regular occurrence. The mini disco lasted for half an hour and this was the only time the kids were entertained for any length of time. You had to wait an hour after the mini disco for the entertainment to start and it was usually dancing or singing. One night there was African dancing and the kids rep said it was not really suitable for children so you could go up to the bar upstairs where there was a lounge band playing which was again not really suitable for kids. Who goes on holiday to sit in their room watching BBC world news at 9pm which was incidentally the only English TV channel we could find. It was my daughters birthday when we were away and I had e-mailed the hotel asking if we could have a cake made some months before. They sent the most ridiculously long e-mail back so we chose to organise this at the hotel. On her birthday they left chocolates in the room with a little note which said " we thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate your little son's birthday" . Maybe I'm being picky here but they could have just checked our reservation to know that she was clearly a girl! Nice touch but some facts clearly got jumbled up somewhere. We had a nice holiday despite the mishaps and made some wonderful friends who really made the holiday for us but if this is 5 star then I think I'll stick to what I know in future. The day before we went home we went on an afternoon outing in Puerto Rico and decided to eat out. Knowing we had a late flight on our last night we thought it would be better to save our meal for the last night as we wouldn't be leaving the hotel and it would be more convenient. When we came to check out on the last day we left our cases in the room and went to Reception. We were told that we could not have a late checkout as our room was booked out to someone else which is fair enough. We asked if we could have a courtesy room and we were told to pick a half an hour slot (for 4 people which was a bit of a rush). We explained about missing our meal and was it possible to have it on the last night. The answer can only be described as downright rude which for front of house staff is disgusting. We were so enraged that we decided to speak to the Rep to see is she could help. She spoke to Guest Relations who were equally as rude and would not budge so basically we paid for 10 nights food and only got 9! We ended up eating in the Grand Italia restaurant which was lovely but cost us an extra 50 euros that we weren't expecting. When we went to the courtesy room we needed a few things from our cases. Despite checking out at 12 noon our cases still weren't there. If our cases were still in the room then potentially we could have had a late checkout after all as there couldn't have been anyone in the room. Once again poor customer service from Reception staff. If Lopesan could train their Reception staff a bit better and improvements could be made with regards to entertainment and the Kids club then we could be back in the future but I doubt this will happen which is a real shame as the hotel itself is magnificent.

Room Tip: Avoid Block beginning in 21 as they have no view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leanne O
LopesanHotelGroup, Public Relations Manager at Lopesan Baobab Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear leanneoh79

First of all we would like to thank you and your family for having chosen the Lopesan Baobab Resort for your recent holidays.

As we take guest criticism very serious we have already informed the regarding department managers (especially Reception, Animation and Public Relations) to take a close look in the mentioned matters. We would also like to thank you for all your comments which help us to improve our service level as well as the overall customer satisfaction.

We would also like to take the opportunity to comment just a few points of your observations:

In general a room change is never a problem, as long as the desired room is available and it can be arranged within the booked room category. Unfortunately the rooms on the top floors facing the pool are not the same category as the one booked from you (the biggest difference between the different room categories is always the view). We would also like to add that the high occupation during your stay (over 90%) may have influenced the difficulties that you were facing.

Our Animation team offers a kids program on a daily basis, always between 11-14 and 15-17hrs. During this time they are at the kids club but also on the main square and sometimes in the gardens. The miniclub is marked on the map that every guest receives in the check in process (in our case it is called Panchi World) and we are very sorry that it took you 3 days to find it and that you couldn´t enjoy the animation in that period.

During your stay 4 pools have been heated, incluiding the two small childrens pools and two "adult" pools.

We are really sorry that you felt badly treated by some members of the reception and public relations staff and we would like to apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused. On the other hand it is true that normally the dinner on the last day is never included in the contracts and cannot be interchanged with one missed meal during your stay. Nevertheless, if the manner you have been informed about the situation has not been the correct one, we would like to apologize again for that matter.

After all we would like to thank you again for the provided information and we would love to be given a second chance in order to provide you a more pleasant stay with us.

With best regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meloneras
Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
#7 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort

Been to Lopesan Baobab Resort? Share your experiences!