Lopesan Baobab Resort
IFA Faro Hotel(Maspalomas)
  • Restaurant
Maypa Appartements(Maspalomas)
6,239 results
All reviewsafrican themewet roomrichard burtonhuge baththe wow factorstar hotelpili pilihalf boardstunning hotelfamily roomseparate toiletmoonlight cinemagran canarianews channelssand dunesbreakfast and dinnerkids club
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is a lovely hotel situated in a quiet spot with a shopping centre and the promenade only a short walk away.

Before posting this, I thought I would read a few of the 'terrible' reviews previous posted and I cannot agree with any of them, Please do not let these reviews put you off going.

We booked through Thomson, who we will definitely use again and went with friends in the middle of May to celebrate our silver wedding anniversaries. The hotel is clean beyond reproach, with daily maid service (they leave your room immaculate) and has a calming, relaxing atmosphere. Rooms are spacious and ours overlooked the gardens/pool areas - lovely view.

A few restaurants to choose from. We were always shown to our table without waiting and it was always set up, clean and ready for us to eat. Food is amazing with loads of choice.

All staff were extremely friendly and helpful if you needed them. Every one of them says 'Ola' to you as you pass them, and smiles. These little things can make such a difference.

We didnt really sample the entertainment in the hotel though we did go to one dance show which was really good. There is a resident band, a very talented bunch, though there was a bit of song repitition. However, I was on holiday - and it just didnt bother me. The female lead singer has a beautiful voice.

Only english speaking channels on the tv were a couple of news channels. The only thing I can honestly say I missed was perhaps a music channel I could have put on while in my room - but I wasnt there to watch television, I can do that at home. And I didnt have small children to pacify. So, if that sort of thing is important to you on your holiday, take your own entertainment.

Overall, fantastic holiday in a fantastic hotel. Dont hesitate - just book it now!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Morven W
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was our 5th visit in a row to Gran Canaria, but we love the island, beautiful, guaranteed sun and Meloneras is the perfect location to stay in.

We stayed at the Lopesan Baobab Resort Hotel for the first time last week and we were very impressed. We had walked past it when it was getting completed in 2008 and we were quite dubious about the African themed hotel. We are delighted we made the choice to stay there this year, as it's by far the best hotel we've stayed in on the Island so far....apparently it's the biggest hotel in Europe.

I had emailed in advance to cheekily ask for a top floor room with a good view as it was my partners birthday, we got exactly that, a lovely view of a pool with the sea and sand dunes in the not so far distance. My partner also got a nice birthday message placed in the room on our arrival. We had a big room, comfy big twin beds pushed together, nice wet room for a bathroom with a jacuzzi bath, seperate toilet, large wardrobes, and plush furniture.

On arrival the hotel reception staff displayed excellent service and a porter even offered to take our suitcases and bags to our room. For a week's stay we had to pay 17.50 euros for a safety deposit box, but it is so worth it, it was just placed on our room bill at the end of our stay.

The hotel itself is very impressive. It is african themed and has a large entrance leading to a beautiful reception/lounge/bar area. the reception area has free Wi-Fi too :)

There are many bars and about 7 individual pools, I loved the Lazy River! Getting a sunbed is fairly easy, but don't leave it too late to secure a bed around the lazy river, as this seems very popular. There is also a children area, which looked fun and we wished we'd had a child just to go into there :)

There is also some fantastic children's entertainment during the day and on an evening. I must say the spanish songs do stick in your head during the day as they are repeated every night with a dancing tiger and blue dolphin jumping around and dancing with the children. It's lovely to watch or hear during and evening meal when sat in the outside part of the restaurant. But I do think they need to change the songs now and again, as it's abit repetitive, but the kids seemed to enjoy Panchi.

The restaurant itself is lovely, you have a choice to sit inside or outside near the shallow river flowing by, we stayed Half Board, so we had breakfast and evening dinner there. The breakfasts are really nice, bacon is not as stringy as some of the hotels on the island, and they have proper mushrooms :), queuing for the toast machine was popular and you did have to put it through twice to cook the bread properly, but that's the norm really. They also had other foods for breakfast, plenty of fruit, cereals, and wierd spanish cheese things, the food on an evening was very varied every night. A chef would cook your meat (chicken, veal, steak, fish) in front of you, there was everything from salads, indian food, fish, rissotto, chinese food, pasta dishes and roast dinner to pick from, then you move onto help yourself to a selection of foods, to fill your plate as high as you like. They also have soup, cheeses and other little nibbly bits to choose from. The puddings are delightfull, little delicate cakes to big cheesecakes, mouses and ice creams.....very impressed with the effort that's gone into the cakes! The waiters are also very polite, we had a bottle of wine most nights with our meals, where the waiter would let you taste the wine before pouring it into yours and your partners glasses. They are also very thorough at collecting your plates when you have finished a course.

The gardens are stunning, palm trees everywhere you go, but there's also amazing trees and plants from places such as India, Africa, Madagasca. Each plant or tree is labeled in many languages to let you know what it is. There are also lime trees, banana trees, olive trees, and others. Such a delight just to walk around the gardens....and I'm in my 30's and enjoyed this!! Also through the gardens the hotel have plastic animals placed around, like zebras, elephants, rhinos, crocodiles...it's more for the children I think, but it does give off that African theme...however, some people did think it was abit tacky, I thought it was different and fun! :)
The gardens are situated around the many pools with lovely bridges and waterfalls around also. There are also bars around the areas, and the waiters regularly come up to people sunbathing to ask if you would like a drink, which you can either pay cash or put on your room bill. Inside the hotel they also have palm trees which looks like part of a rain forest with lovely little wooden stepping stones over the river filled with fish.

This is a beautiful hotel, the only downside is that they should have better entertainment for adults, like their sister hotel Lopesan Costa Meloneras across the road where we've also stayed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Emma078
Reviewed May 21, 2013

enterance wow factor but after that it started to faulter very drafty bar areas at night alchol gives you heart burn because it is too fizzy I never had a drink of any kind that was nice to drink
the eating area we had to have our meals in with cats walking freely around and they are not house trained staff just let them wonder freely eating was not what I looked forward to. children under no supervision in buffet area sun bathing was excellant on the grounds staff friendly the entertainment at night need not have turned up TV sick of Sky news I know you don`t need TV on holliday but (cold bars crap entertainment ??) not good folks.
never seen a spa

Room Tip: all room are ok
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob F
Reviewed May 20, 2013

After reading some of the previous reviews by others before going on our holiday, I can say we were not disappionted in the least. Although the hotel is very large there was not one area where you could pick fault !! the food is spot on and a wealth of choice, variety, and freshness are the norm. The staff are always pleasent and the whole of the hotel is kept spotless. The hotel gardens and pool areas always well kept and i would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone. ENJOY !!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 957stevec
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here for a week in April & from the moment we arrived we knew it was going to be nice. The entrance certainly has the wow factor just a shame the water had been drained for repairs, however this didn't spoil it! The hotel smells amazing & I have never known a place so clean. Everyone is so friendly and check in was quick and thorough. Our room was standard but standard it wasn't, large wet room, massive, comfortable bed, shame about English channels, lack of, but who goes on holiday to watch tv, certainly not us when there are so many great pools to choose from, my fav being the lazy river, it's just so relaxing. The restaurant was best we have experienced to & definately 5 star, we always managed to get an outside table but we did tend to eat about half 8! Lovely champagne breakfast we just didn't want to leave! Would definately recommend the Baobab we had such a great time we have already booked for 2 weeks later in the year!!! Can't wait. Oh yes it is dimly lit however it adds to the whole ambience & at night the lights around the pools & everywhere are beautiful. We travelled as a couple! Hope this helps, ignore negative reviews u don't know what your missing.

• Stayed: April 2013