“Excellent with only 3 relatively minor complaints”

Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort & Corallium Thalasso
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Meloneras
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 1, 2013

First the complaints:

1) The gym, which is really very good by hotel standards, only opens at 8am - the latest I have ever experienced in any hotel. This will only matter to a very few people, but as it is unsupervised the opening time is set purely for the convenience of the one member of staff who turns the key, switches on the lights and then walks away. Why not open at 6am, or at the very least 7am if you really can't be bothered.

2) Restaurant booking: We are foodies so never book all inclusive, always eat out exploring local recommended restaurants, and have a well-founded hate of hotel restaurants as one is inevitably a captive market and treated like cattle. However here they have Restaurant Ovo, which is good by all accounts. Unfortunately the Maitre D' is a graceless and supercilious character, unhelpful and superior in demeanour. Also reservations (necessary) can only be made through hotel reception, with the result that our booking for a specific table was a "confucion", with no apology and a perfunctory gesture to the worst table in the house, which we did not accept. Triumph in the face of adversity when we instead went for a superb meal at the superb "Time" ( see exceptional reviews, including ours)

3) The ubiquitous towels on sunbeds! There are so many beds to go round, but unfortunately the hotel allow the reservation of beds with towels left on unattended beds all day. One afternoon at least half the beds were empty, but we could not find two together due to towels left unattended. This should never be allowed and old or unattended towels should be cleared on a regular basis.

Having got those gripes off my chest this hotel is in all other respects absolutely what it should be for the price point and market at which it is aimed. Decor is impressive and obviously expensive, and cleanliness really top notch. Staff are friendly and helpful. Facilities compare well to any hotel/resort of this class we have visited. All in all exceptional value for money and a very high recommendation.

Suggestion for couples: Even if you enjoy lying crammed together next to a total stranger in serried ranks of lined-up sunbeds, even out of season the pools are very noisy with screaming brats. There is a small "adults only" sun terrace hidden away in front of block E on level 2, high enough to be cooled by breezes, and with a shower to cool off when necessary. Hard to find but worth searching as you will be one of only a very few who know it's there.

Rooms: High floor sea view rooms are undoubtedly best but be warned some do not have balconies. We were generously upgraded to a lovely 7th floor room with great views, but so claustrophobic as the window only opened half way and no balcony. We actually asked for our old garden room back again, and were very happy there. Beware we did see some rooms which had really poor outlooks, and some right on top of the children's play area so request according to your likes/dislikes as they do seem to try to accommodate requests.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank FussyBvggerBrit
There are newer reviews for Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort & Corallium Thalasso

Reviewed September 29, 2013

You can't help but be impressed on arrival by the appearance of the Hotel and its reception. Check-in was very smooth and accompanied by a welcome drink of your choice. Bags all taken care of by charming and helpful Bel-Boy who showed us to our room. Amazing room with the largest and most comfortable bed have ever experienced in any hotel.
Had arrived early evening so went straight to dinner. Disappointed by the lack of explanation of where things were and how it all worked. Nonetheless soon had it sussed and Dinner every night was excellent with great variety and both good quality and quantity. Unfortunately one particular waiter and one particular waitress we had the misfortune to encounter on several evenings were surly and in fact bordering on rude ! We paid for everything in cash, choosing not to charge to the room - this didn't not seem to go down too well ! The aforementioned waitress in particular often "barked" out her orders to us that she still needed our room number ! Not surprisingly on checking out at the end of the week she had charged it the one night to the room despite having paid in cash.There then followed a hassle to try to get the hotel to accept we had already paid and as we couldn't find the receipt for that night we still had to pay again on checking out ! My tip is NEVER give your room number and just insist you are paying by cash so they don't need the number. However I must state that most of the other waiters and waitresses were superb and very charming and couldn't do enough to help. Breakfast was excellent, very plentiful and varied to cater for all tastes (in my opinion). Just loved all the varieties of doughnuts - not my normal habit but just couldn't resist as so tempting !
The maid service to our room was exceptional ! Cleaned superbly every day with fresh towels both for the room and pool each day. Room turned down each evening with small chocolate left for each of us. The cleanliness throughout the hotel was of the highest standard with maintenance of the grounds and swimming pools and pool areas superb .
Plenty of sun beds and was delighted to see adherence to the no reservation of sun beds rule with the staff removing any towels etc where this had been done. However one down side is the sun beds, parasols etc are a little too crammed in like sardines for my liking especially as some people have no consideration for personal space.
The hotel is beautifully located with easy access to a lovely promenade for a delightful walk up into Maspalomas, often with glorious sunsets in the evenings.
My wife had an afternoon at the spa and was full of praise. Fantastic helpful discrete staff and therapists. Wonderful treatments. Was glowing and so relaxed afterwards. Expensive but so worth it was her view !
One problem is the very poor wi fi . Frequently none existent and when you can connect very very slow.
Overall a great week at a wonderful hotel, just a shame about the few faults.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Terence E
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort & Corallium Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear guest,

We highly appreciate your review published on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at our hotel Lopesan Villa del Conde.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate the nice words that you have posted about our staff and facilities.

Nevertheless, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you might have experienced in the restaurant and want to inform that we have already forward this to the maître in order to avoid this to happen again.

We would be delighted to welcome you again soon and remain at your disposal for any concern or information you may require.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Wow just returned from, 7 night stay here with Jet2 Holidays. All I can say is that no images can do this hotel justice, the building, rooms, restaurants, and pools definitely have the wow factor. The staff are very attentive, and the breakfast is well catered with staff that can't do enough for you.

The room was HUGE, the bathroom very impressive. There was also a flat screen TV and although we didn't spend much time in the room it would have been nice to have a choice of English channels, BBC World news gets a little boring after a while. Other nationalities have much better choice....shame.

I agree with other peoples comments regarding the Wifi. Although this is free to use in the Internet cafe, on your devices only, hotel computers you have to pay a charge. I do feel that wifi should be hotel spread and included in your room charge.

These are very minor points for improvement as it is very difficult to find fault.

Keep up the good work Lopesan

Room Tip: Request a sea view room by emailing the hotel before hand. We done this and got one :)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joe B
LopesanHotelGroup, Public Relations Manager at Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort & Corallium Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear guest,

We highly appreciate your comment published on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at our hotel Lopesan Villa del Conde.

Regarding the wifi and English channels, we will forward your observation to our manager to consider them

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Me and my girlfriend visited this hotel in the summer of 2012 and loved every minute. The staff were great, the food was superb and the evening entertainment was of a very high standard. Even though we didn't have kids at the time it was obvious that children would be very well looked after by the staff with kids club available during the day and up to about 8pm.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DanPollard10
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I booked flights and accommodation seperately. Flight was with Jet2 and accommodation was through Sovereign as they were the only company I could find which offered a sea view room for single occupancy.

I arrived quite late as my flight from Manchester departed an hour late.  We left the airport at about 10pm and I used resort hopper speedy transfer (max 4 drop-offs) and arrived at 10.35pm.

The lobby is as everyone has said is very impressive and checkin was very smooth and offered a welcome drink as I arrived late I was informed I could still get a meal at one of the restaurants but I was a bit confused as to where this was so decided not to, I had heard about various rooms so had emailed a few days prior to my arrival and requested a high floor in a quiet location, the room was on the fifth floor over looking the adult pool, to be honest I don't think any of the sea view locations would have been any noisier.  Room was fine, bathroom was OK with a separate shower and bath, towels were changed daily - actually you could have them changed twice a day if required as they come round about 18.30 with extra and chocolates and do the turn down service - after about day 4 the maid just stayed at the door.

I am a solo traveller and don't consider myself messy so room is never a mess, at first I thought the room was being very well cleaned however I was sitting on the balcony on day 5 and I noticed a large cobweb with fluff trapped in it at the bottom of the left hand wall, also I had a wine ring on the table - neither of these items were cleaned away, therefore the outside area was neither mopped / wiped or brushed.

I had been worried about some of the "thin wall" comments and I didn't seem to have an issue with this or if I had considerate neighbours, although there was some scraping from furniture being moved - why people need to move furniture is a little odd.

I mainly used the adult pool, some people were clearly reserving loungers before 10am or shortly afterwards and then disappearing, also there was a family using the pool with a teenage boy - some people didn't seem to either care or know about the term "adult only".  I was also surprised a young family had been allocated a room by the quiet pool as about 11am the baby started crying which was a little annoying.

The buffet restaurant, there are 2 sittings - no idea why !  The first sitting is supposed to vacate the restaurant around 8pm but there were still people from the first sitting still there when the next sitting was entering.  The second sitting at 8.30pm - guests were queuing from 8.10pm which frankly staff shouldn't allow as these quests were standing with only a glass panel between them and the diners.

Criticism of the restaurant is there are far too many tables in a relatively small space and the food area is too small for the number of guests, some of which are not as polite as I expect people to be, you seem to be constantly bumping into other guests.  Food is plentiful and good but as with all buffets not great, although the soups were good and hot the rest of the food wasn't as hot as it should be mainly because plates aren't.  Coffee - don't expect a hot pot of coffee, they offer coffee with hot milk but the coffee pots have been pre-prepared and are left sitting on a counter until brought to the table.  After a couple of mornings I took my own thermal mug of tea with me as I had taken a travel kettle.  There was a drinks station were you can make your own - that would be my advice, make your own.

I had two days in the spa, the first time I had a full day just on the thalasso circuit which is well worth a visit and I used it again on my check out day as I had to vacate my room at noon, I also had a massage with was great.  They allow you a courtesy room for 30mins but this would have been a very short time if there is more than 1 person but I had used the showers etc in the spa.

The staff are very friendly and also there to assist.  The facilities make this a 5 star hotel, otherwise I would rate it lower.  I paid for wifi which was ok for the week I was there but even the paid for access was very hit and miss, I got good reception if I stood overlooking my balcony but not if I sat on the sofa and non existent if I wanted to access from the bed.

Room Tip: Request a high floor, the ground floor rooms are quite close to pool areas and there isn't much...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Fiona B
LopesanHotelGroup, Public Relations Manager at Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort & Corallium Thalasso, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments. We appreciate your trust in us by choosing our hotel Lopesan Villa del Conde for your stay.

Firstly we do appreciate your kind words about our staff; we work very hard every day to keep our guests satisfied to the most.

Secondly, with reference to the noise in the rooms, we would like to inform you that the hotel management is already working on the noise reduction by studying some different projects and submitted proposals.
Thirdly we would like to clarify that none of our pools is for adults only. All our 6 pools can be enjoyed by every single guest in the hotel. There is one pool which is called the quiet pool but it is not for adults only.
Fourthly, in relation to your comment that regards the sun beds, the hotel rule does not allow guests to reserve sun beds from 8am until 10am in order to prevent the sun bed reservation. If the guests do, their towels and personal belongings are removed from the lounges and kept in the pool towel kiosk where they can pick them up.
Finally, we have already taken note of the rest of your comments in order to consider them for future improvements and developments.

We look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel and remain at your disposal for any further information you may require.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was very impressed by the first view of the hotel ,pool etc ,the best element however are the staff who are all very attentive ,fun and very helpful. The food was initially very good ie lovely Spanish hams and cheese, fresh prawns ,smoked salmon ,tenderloin. Therefore you may ask whats the but. I do think if you are only there for one week its fine,however for two weeks if can be very repetitive. Several people asked for well done meat ,the blood was running out with chefs not too happy to re cook. Often the fish under the hot plate would be luke warm and dry .Therefore the ingredients are very high quality ,they just need some more thought to how the cooking can be consistent. The wine and drink prices were reasonable with options for half bottles. The pool area was lovely and there were always plenty of beds.The soundproofing is as bad as everyone says, one day we had the embarrassment of a Harry Met Sally moment in the room next door, not what I wish to hear at 5pm The rooms are spacious however some could do with a freshen up .I have stayed in the other Lopesan and whilst larger I preferred its location and did not find any difference in service and quality. The Villa Del Conde is a good 4 star plus however I struggle to see the 5th star compared to other hotels around Europe.The WiFi is also not the best as stated by others too. Whilst I appreciate many people are return visitors as this stage I cannot see my family returning in the near future unless for a one week break.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank champagneannie

Dear guest,

With reference to the noise in rooms and corridors, we would like to inform you that the hotel management is already working on the noise reduction by studying some different projects and submitted proposals.
In relation to your comment that regards the food, we have already taken note of everything in order to consider it for future improvements and developments.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Can not describe this hotel other than super. Stayed for ten nights and enjoyed every minute of our holiday. Staff are attentive but not over powering, hotel is impeccably clean, plenty of sunbeds and parasols. The spa was well kept and a nice treat. A beautiful stroll along the sea front promenade will bring you to a generally upmarket shopping area with bars and restaurants. All you could wish for !

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank OlliesNo1fan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meloneras
Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino
#6 of 19 in San Agustin
Lopesan Baobab Resort
Lopesan Baobab Resort
#2 of 3 in Meloneras

Been to Lopesan Villa del Conde Resort & Corallium Thalasso? Share your experiences!