Innkeeper's Lodge Aylesbury (East), Aston Clinton
PremierInn.com
Hartwell House(Hartwell)
$303
TripAdvisor
West Lodge Hotel(Aston Clinton)
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewssofa bedthe pubspacious roomfamily roomcold meatsevening mealquick checkbreakfast tablemember of staffmarmaladefamily staybell hotelpleasant staywindow sillgood sizechoice of cerealslovely meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Having read some recent reviews on this web site I can only conclude that the reviewers are commenting on the wrong accommodation/restaurant. The reception was wonderful, service the same, the waiters were attentive and very professional and we did not wait any longer than we would expect for very good, fresh food. It was not of Michelin Star standard but we were not paying Michelin prices; we were most comfortable and enjoyed exceptionally good cuisine for our money. We would not hesitate to return when next we visit Tring (which will be next month).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WalesPK
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Loads to choose from on the menu - food has always been good. Good selection of cocktails and wine.
Staff a little up themselves - not very friendly. It was frowned upon that we turned up without reservations. On another occasion we went here with friends with children - they have a children's menu; however, not very welcoming to children (and there's are superbly behaved!).
We will go back here as the food is good and it's a short drive from home but won't be expecting much from there service - hopefully they will improve....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Went last night with my husband and another couple. The food was sublime and the place is very spacious but with a good atmosphere . I ve been here a couple of times before and I was never let down. Maybe someone could find it a little expensive, but for the quality is definitely worth it.
One of our favourites restaurants that s for sure. Thumbs up all the way!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank maddy b
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Just thought I had to say that we had a really nice meal with some good friends it was the first time I have been there in the evening and is a totally different atmosphere to the afternoons. The food even seems even better but nothing wrong in the afternoons. I have a noticed the food is better than when I came here a couple of years ago when it was known by a different name and was like Agee other pub restaurants, but now have raised the bar.
Will come here again. Fantastic

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 11, 2012

On our way from darkest Norfolk to stay with friends near Wendover, we decided to stop for lunch at the Bell Inn. In truth I was looking for a bygone pub that overlooks a village green with duckpond we used to visit in the late 70s when my parents lived in St.Leonards, Bucks. That village was used as the setting for a little TV film called The Shillingbury Blowers, about a brass band and starred Robin Nedwell, who was one of the two 'Doctors in Charge' in that 1970s comedy series. I could have sworn the pub in question was The Bell at Aston Clinton, but when we got there I realised I was wrong - unless the green and duckpond have disappeared under houses in the intervening years.

Anyway, it wasn't a hardship to give the Bell a try but, given its reputation, we were surprised to find it practically empty on a sunny Saturday lunchtime in mid-July. Perhaps it comes to life in the evenings, for there is room for dozens of covers, with dining room extensions all over the place. Can't agree with previous reviewers that we were ignored, but having said that, the waitresses seemed to be busily rushing about even though we could see only one other table occupied. The barman was friendly and we soon had drinks to hand and were shown to a table to peruse the menu.

The Bell's décor is quite gastropub and tasteful - I agree that it could probably be cheered up a little, but then if that has happened recently, maybe the place just takes a real pounding due to its incredible popularity? There are several comfortable-looking sofas in convivial seating areas scattered around, so you can enjoy drinks before or after your meal, but I would say the Bell is first and foremost a foodie spot.

Writing this review a month after the event I must admit I am struggling to remember what we had to eat - not because it was forgettable; it was in fact delicious, but because my memory is rubbish these days and after this meal we went on to a very boozy evening with our friends and probably destroyed the braincells that contained this useful information!

I suspect the Bell is at its best when it's packed, so you are carried along with the buzz of all those cosmopolitan home counties types enjoying their good fortune. On the occasion of our visit it was just a bit too quiet, but it made for a more than acceptable lunch stop. Not cheap, but good quality and if the opportunity arose we would go there again. Can't comment on the rooms as we were just passing through.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple