“All that is wrong with British food and service.”
Review of Bell Inn

Bell Inn
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“All that is wrong with British food and service.”
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We walked in the be greeted by, oh, no one! Waited at the bar while 3 bartenders chatted up a girl by trying to impress her with their non-existent wine knowledge. One said hello to us then chatted to his mate for another few minutes. I asked if we could order at the bar and he said yes, not mentioning that we should have a table first. Then back to chat to his mate. I asked if we could in fact place and order with him and he reluctantly decided we could. In hindsight we should have already left by this stage. So we order our food and a beer and lemonade. Have to rush to find a table. Find one, finish placing the order. Sit down on seats that are too low for a table, to comfortably eat off of. So we are starving, not eaten since 11am and its now about 7:30pm. Discover my lemonade is flat. Great. Then nachos come out, they don't look great but we'll try the taste test. Well. Stale and cold come to mind. Cheese looks and tastes like it has been melted on as part of the prep stage. At least an hour ago. Then it appears the microwave leader in the "kitchen" has put them in for a minute or so to give the impression that he has just whipped them up. Fail. Guacamole is pretty bad. Salsa is ok but not hard to get wrong from a jar. A young man asks if we are enjoying them. Not really. He says to us " what do you want me to do about it?" Well, apologising would be a good start. But no he just gets all nervous and leaves us there after offering to heat them up again. Sounds delicious, hot melted sour cream and re-reheated cheese. No thanks. So he leaves. We decide if it is worth complaining. It is. Off I go to the bar because frankly I'm worried about what the mains will be like. Microwaveable delights I imagine. Just because we opted for reasonably priced food does not mean we want indifferent service with attitude. I went to the bar and asked one of the bartenders to cancel our mains and for a refund. He didn't says a word but went and got another member of staff. I'm not sure what position he had as he didn't say or wear a name badge. So I say again I don't want our mains and before I can say much about anything else he toddles off to the kitchen. Eventually he comes back and joy, we don't have to have the mains. I also complain about my flat lemonade, awful nachos and bad service all round. He then tries to argue with me (!!!) about the nachos. Saying " nowhere on the menu says they are hot" it also doesn't state on the menu that they are cold and most people reading that they come with melted cheese would expect some degree of warmth. He doesn't have much to say about the bad service, not even sorry. Then only refund us for the mains. So we paid for awful nachos that wouldn't meet any food hygiene standards, a flat lemonade and a beer that although drinkable had it spoilt by everything else being abysmal. This is why we shall never eat at any pub chain in England. I would rather go hungry.

• Visited March 2011