“Not too sure ! - Nice, but .................................”
Review of The Old Garrison

The Old Garrison
Ranked #14 of 21 Restaurants in Shoeburyness
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Old Garrison offers a great value food menu, a wide selection of cask ales and fine wines, and a fabulous family friendly beer garden. A "must visit" for locals & visitors alike. At the heart of a busy and vibrant area The Old Garrison is located next to the former Shoeburyness Barracks. With a selection of premium spirits, cask ales, regular offers and live entertainment there is something for everyone at The Old Garrison. We have an extensive menu to suit everyone's tastes. Why not come and join us for lunch or an early supper? Choose from light bites, traditional pub fare or a sizzling curry - we have it all! Relax and enjoy our friendly service in our gorgeous beer garden. Why not bring along the kids? We have a fully equipped play area for them too! Looking for a venue to hold your function or birthday party? Let us know and we will try our best to assist you with your requirements. We always welcome new customers so come along soon. We will go out of our way to make your visit enjoyable, answer any questions and give you a real Garrison welcome. Food Service available Tuesday to Sunday.
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were rather aprenhsive about trying this pub, bearing in mind the past history of this establishment, but were pleasently surprised.
Three of us arrived for an early Sunday lunch.
We were immediately shown to our table and after a short wait ordered our drinks.
We then ordered our foood and promptly joined the queue for the Sunday roast.
A nice choice of rare roast beef, turkey and a gammon joint with a good selection of freshly cooked vegetables which included crispy roast potatoes - lovely.
All very nice, no complaints regarding the food.
Perhaps he young waiters could have been more aware that food dropped on the floor by babies in high chairs, (and there were lots) should have been cleared away as soon as possible and not left on the floor for new customers to walk over.
We were of the opinion that it was all very nice, but the waiters although attentive were possibly a bit slow.
We will try again - not too sure when !!

1  Thank uptonparkman

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The outside looks smart and the indoor decor was ok too. The staff were helpful and my son's odd off-menu request was willingly met. The play area was enclosed and secure.

The food was exceptionally good value. Five of us ate and drank for £60 and the food was ok. Personally I'd prefer to pay more and have better quality. It was the type of food you'd expect in a cheap pub chain.

Vegetarians were not catered for at all - they count fish as vegetarian which of course it isn't. Overall, it was fine and we got what we paid for from friendly staff in pleasant surroundings.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have not been in this pub for a long time. I was recommend to go has it is under new management. It was very quiet, but we were given a warm welcome and great service. The menu is not exciting, but the food is presented well and cooked to perfection. What more can you ask for. I will be back again for my Mum and the carvery too.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had heard good things about this pub/restaurant and were eager to try its delights. It was a hot sunny day so, we did not mind that we could not sit inside and took a table outside. We both went for the Fish & Chips even though there was a run on "BBQ" food being cooked in the beer garden.

Our food arrived and I was suspicious the fact that my fish was bowed and could stand upright. The fat had been turned up to high so rather than salivate over the delights, I had to crunch my way through the Fish AND the chips which were well done. Fortunately, the portions were not that generous so there wasn't much to crunch through! That was the only saving grace to the meal. This so wasnt worth the £7.50 odd they charged for my dish! After this, I went home and had a sandwich as I was still left hungry :o(

1  Thank fitpaulessex
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Having driven past this pub/restaurant hundreds of times I eventually went in and enjoyed a lovely meal with a friend.
I chose a Beef Ragu speciality of the day and my friend had Scampi/chips and salad. My Ragu was beautiful. I'm a little bit fussy because I don't like any threads of chewy fat in my meat but this beef just melted in my mouth it was very good value at about 7 pounds.
Also the whole decor of the place is very well done. It can be cosy and intimate while also being very busy. It is tastefully modern inside but still in complete harmony with the character of the building, The staff were friendly and helpful without being over the top. Apparently they are doing barbeques during the summer as well.
I'm not sure about all the other facilities available which is why I havn't filled them all in.
I wil definately be going back to this place.