“Scary...Health & Safety Issues”

Daresbury Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Daresbury
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I suppose its my own fault for not looking at reviews prior to our visit, but even so when I book a 4* hotel then certain standards are usually taken for granted. Such as, cleanliness, professional competent staff and health & safety being of upmost importance….how wrong could we be? Left waiting over 20 minutes at reception whilst a personal conversation took place, broken light fittings in the bathroom, dangerous plug sockets hanging out of the wall, dirty towels and hairs in the bath & sink, stale room smell, lack of assistance at reception to solve our issues.
Decided not to stay overnight and tried to explain in a professional manner to the duty manager, to be met with "no problem I'll just take your keys, we're used to people deciding to leave within 1/2 an hour of arriving" and laughed, we were shocked to say the least at his response. 4* I really don't think so, more like a 2*.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Daresbury Park Hotel

Reviewed October 28, 2013

OK I was travelling length of Britain and needed a cheap hotel half way. AS the wife wasn't with me I didn't care too much about the quality this was all about price. Got a room with breakfast for £38.50 at one days notice so took a chance. Its very tired but staff are friendly. Hot water was luke warm on arrival butt fine for my 6am shower. Bar food was awful but didn't expect anything. Room was a dinosaur with old telly (no remote) limited toiletries but what do you expect fo the price. It was clean and I slept well. Breakfast was excellent plenty of choice well cooked cooked breakfast buffet style so pile up on carbs and fat!! Good juices and toat croissants and cereals, all in all not a bad choice at this price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here on a KGB Deal for the weekend. We also upgraded to an Executive room which was nice and big, huge bed and it was clean. OK, there was a mark on the ceiling and the TV was old and more annoyingly there was only one plug available for phone charging etc! The bathroom was fine but there was no extractor fan so other people's complaints about mould I can see why.
The food was fine - carvery on the Fri night included. 2 bottles of wine also included for the weekend :-) We used the gym which was great - lots of machines, a weights area, mat area etc. Lovely swimming pool, steam room and hot tub. Breakfast was fine too but if you are staying on Sat night going into Sun morning be warned there will be a queue for breakfast if there has been a wedding on the Sat night.
The Daresbury is dated, no doubt about that and does need a really good clean in places, i.e the carpet in the bar area is pretty rough but for a cheap deal we found it absolutely fine and used it as base for visiting Chester. The staff were helpful and friendly, easy parking and free papers in the morning :-)

Room Tip: Book an executive room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pejko123
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Was a member at this hotel for many years and have resently returned and most definately will not be going back! I im deeply upset not only waisting my hard earned money but I have witnessed men shaving in the steam room, dirt and flys everywhere, and most resent visit of the 3 since rejoining was apauling! There was a family who attended a couple with 10+ children in the pool area the children were crashing into members, bombing into the jucuzzi unattended whilst mum and dad have a steam carefree! (This child was not above the age of 3) I witnessed members leave 1 by 1 in horror! Feeling vunerable I decided to leave after watching this small child crash into a member whilst doing a bomb dive into the jecuzzi how there was not an accident I dont know! been the only member left alone with this family obviously I wanted to get out and go home but the children had whiped my towel from I brought from home and took it into the steam room with Mum and Dad. I had to then bare myself in my swimware to reception cold and wet and there was no one there? no towels for me to borrow so I had to dry myself with my own clothes!!!! Deeply embarrassing for me when i left I caught a member of staff crying feeling terrible and was informed the manager would contact me!!! I await!!! Quite frankly I can not believe that this is not been monitored, I asked if they had memberships because the family was sooo big and so unruley and was told certain families often walk in without paying!!! No wonder staff and members feel so threatened to say anything!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank AdventureGem
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed in a standard room with evening meal and breakfast for £76 this included a bottle of wine with dinner, this sounds a good deal but don't be fooled the room had dated décor and the curtains were hanging off the rails the bathroom looked bright with good lighting, however the grout around the shower was mouldy the bathroom floor was dirty with hair around the base of the bath, The TV was like something out of the ark say no more. The evening meal was a carvary which looked like it had been cooked earlier on in the day this was so dry the soup was like wallpaper paste. We left at 8am.Would I stay again NO would I recommend NO

Room Tip: Look at the room and if you are not happy don't make do
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just returned from a night away here. Four of us booked on a wowcher deal. £69 for 2. After reading some of the reviews I was a bit nervous but didn't need to be. I must ask what some people expect for the money! If I'd paid double I would have been happy. Bed, breakfast, bottle of wine per room, £16 each to spend on food at the bar (instead of the carvery), afternoon tea and use of the gym/swim facilities.

Yes ok, it wasn't pristine and there was a problem with the lights in the room that reception took too long to fix but did it spoil my night away? No, because I paid next to nothing and the company was good! If you're a realist then you'll have a great time!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My friends and I have stayed at the Daresbury Park four times now and just experienced our first stay now the hotel is no longer part of the DeVere group. I can only describe it as tired.....all our bathrooms were shabby with dirty grout, mouldy silicone and yellow staining in the bath. There was broken glass in the hallway doors, stains on the carpets. The whole place needs a revamp.
We stayed on a groupon offer which was fabulous value for money. The afternoon tea was great with really lovely scones and selection of cakes. The house wine was drinkable. The evening meal was a carvery, nice honest food but could have done with being a lot hotter. Similarly with breakfast, nice food but a bit cold. We also had access to the spa facilities. Unfortunately the hotel had not left any towels, robes or slippers in our rooms so we had to visit the leisure club and wait around for 15 minutes while they provided eight of us with a robe and towel. No slippers! The pool was clean and quiet which was nice but not very warm. The hot tub was warmer but made the pool feel even colder when you came out!
Overall our experience was great value for money but the hotel does need a facelift.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daresbury
The Park Royal
Holiday Inn Runcorn
Holiday Inn Runcorn
#2 of 3 in Runcorn
Best Western Forest Hills Hotel

Been to Daresbury Park Hotel? Share your experiences!