“Depends what you paid I suppose?”

Daresbury Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Daresbury
“Depends what you paid I suppose?”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here on Saturday after booking via a kgb deal. Simple check in if a little lack lustre. Hotel reception area seemed well presented and clean a little cafe area which looks like it hasn't been opened in months though. Got to our room to the door wide open and not been cleaned, housekeeper very apologetic and said for us to leave our bags and come back in a little while. So off we went to find our afternoon tea in one of the function rooms and this is were things got poor. Light fittings hanging off walls and ceilings in corridors poor sign posts and confusing corridors. The function room was tatty and dated doors all chipped. Afternoon tea was ok though the coffee was vile! Went back to our now cleaned room. Room ok nice comfy large bed bath and sep shower, however curtains hanging off though and old box tv! Come on its 2013!! Only 2 tea bags and 2 coffee no biscuits! We used the gym but several machines not working but was ok. The pool and steam room were very clean and relaxing not massive but then not busy however when we asked about towels we were told to use our room towels or we needed to pay for extra ones!

Now the restaurant is signposted as bar grill this is so misleading what a joke. The decor in the bar is nice and drinks weren't over priced. Our stay included a 2 course meal canteen style carvery with undercooked veg and soggy potatoes. Left over cake from afternoon tea! Breakfast on Sunday morning was adequate help yourself style with a good selection though nothing is labelled!
For what we paid for our stay I shouldn't complain too much and it was nice just to have a break however will not return and would not reccomends

• Stayed October 2013
Frank L, General Manager at Daresbury Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I will address the points that you have raised immediately with the team to avoid future recurrence. Please accept my apologies for the poor experiences you encountered.

Yours sincerely

Frank Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just came back from a weekend staying in the Daresbury Park Hotel on bus trip to the Lakes.
The hotel is clean and tidy and the dinner and breakfast was enjoyable.
The staff in the Restaurant was friendly and helpful.
The only down side is it is a bit of a maze trying to find your rooms and the bar is a little too pricey so bring your own drinks if you planning on a evening in as there is no where nearby to purchase alcohol

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Philip

Thank you for your review on the hotel following your recent stay.
It is always nice to receive such comments and I was delighted to read your remarks about the staff.
Thank you and I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Me and my partner came to stay at this place, I wouldn't call a hotel in September for a small break after recently having a baby and decided to have a few days away. After travelling for two and half hours we arrived at the industrial park where the hotel is situated much to our horror. When we walked into the hotel we were greeted by the receptionist who seemed friendly. When we arrived at our room 059 it simply consisted of a bed, tv ( from the 80's) and a chair. Nothing at all like the photos we had seen and the fact we had paid extra for an executive room. There was a leak coming from the ceiling which was constantly dripping, brown marks all over the ceiling from previous leaks, filthy net curtains, the bathroom was also disgusting with mould in tiles and hairs on the side of the bath. We decided there would be no way we could sleep in the room and went over to receptionist to ask to be placed in a different room after telling him our problems he was very apologetic and gave us a key card to look at room 060 to see what we thought. When we went to look at the second room the decor was better but there were still many problems, my partner couldn't lay down on the bed as it was too small, the bed was also sunken in the middle which was very off putting, there were two televisions on the dresser which I found odd, the whole of the hotel was covered in dust and we had a wonderful view outside of beer cans all over the grass. By this point me and partner had decided we no longer wanted to even stay in the hotel for one night never mind two nights we had booked. We went to the reception and was greeted by the same receptionist and explained why we didn't wan that room to which he was extremely rude and said he didn't understand why we wouldn't want to stay in the room and in regards to the size of the bed we were told that it was a normal bed and other people haven't complained about it. After going round in circles with the receptionist who obviously had no understanding we asked for a refund because we weren't happy with the rooms, the receptionist told us we could have a refund but because the manager was on annual leave he couldn't authorise it when we asked to see an assistant manager or anyone else higher up we were told that there were no managers on site which I find absolutely ridiculous. We asked the receptionist to write us down what we had discussed in regards to the refund in which he refused to do and told us that we should just ring the manager in one week to get our refund.
We left the hotel with no where to stay, tired out, starving and extremely annoyed with the service we received from the place. As we had drove for over two hours we were too tired to attempt to drive back so decided to look for another hotel in which we found the Crabwall manor hotel and spa, we paid an extra £20 for what we paid at the Daresbury hotel and the difference was incredible, the hotel staff were wonderful and the hotel was beautiful.
I would never even go near the Daresbury hotel again in my life and would warn people to book there, it shocks me that hotels like this are still allowed to be open. I have been trying to contact the manager in regards to my refund and still haven't heard anything back and cannot get through via telephone, it's appauling that me and my partner spent £120 at this hotel to have to go and find another one because of how horrendous it was and still haven't received a refund or an apology.

This place needs shutting down or new management, a complete refurbishment and some basic customer service training for the staff or maybe just taught some manners and how to smile.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Danielleb16x
Dear Danielle

Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointing visit to the Daresbury Park Hotel.
I was very concerned to read your comments and I will immediately investigate the rooms you occupied and take corrective action.
I will speak to all the team regarding your stay and determine why there was so much you were disappointed with.

Yours sincerely
Frank Long

Travelers are raving about these Daresbury hotels

Cardiff
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I've read variable reviews of this hotel recently and was a little apprehensive of my recent 2-night stay as part of a Leisuretime (Cardiff) mini-tour of the Lake District. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and found my stay very enjoyable. We arrived around 7.15pm on the Friday evening and check-in was efficient and hassle free. I was allocated a ground floor room as requested as I have mobility disabilities. My room, (1002), had a very comfortable double bed for sole use, adequate bathroom space, (the only gripe was the miniscule wash basin!), a flat screen tv and the usual tea/coffee making facilities (which unfortunately were not over generous). Breakfasts were more than adequate and very tasty whilst the evening meal on the Saturday evening, (I didn't dine on the Friday evening), was quite enjoyable although the vegetables were undercooked. I found the staff friendly and helpful and , all in all, my stay was a pleasurable experience and I would certainly stay there again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Frank L, General Manager at Daresbury Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and for your kind words regarding your stay.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your 2 days here with us and I very much look forward to welcoming you again on a future visit.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here a few times on business, it is undergoing a lot of work on rooms and I have used it based on price alone. I have managed to get rates of around £30 a night on a couple of occasions this year and for that kind of price you really cannot fault this hotel.
Foods ok, bar pretty good, staff are excellent

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jason

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
It is always nice to receive such comments and a special thank you for mentioning the team.

Regards

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the night on a wowcher deal. After reading some of the reviews was a bit concerned as thought it was going to be like Faulty Towers!!! Myself and my partner was pleasantly surprised as to be honest it was ok and we had no problems.

The receptionist was helpful and friendly and advised us of everything we needed to know, the room we had was fine and clean. The cavalry for evening meal was lovely and there was also a selection of puddings to choose from.

The leisure facilities were good and the pool was lovely and warm. Only niggle is the ladies changing room could of been cleaner, I.e floors cleaned on a more regular basis.

We had no problems and all the staff we met were friendly and helpful.

You get what you pay for and we had no problems, ok there are parts of the hotel that look tired and could do with a lick of paint but nothing to moan about.

Some people just like to moan and are never happy with anything, take the negative reviews with a pinch of salt.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Where do I begin? After a tough time with our health myself and a friend decided to treat ourselves to a night away from the bustle of motherhood to chill out and relax. We searched for a lovely hotel to visit....even though it was a 3 hour journey from Buckinghamshire,we decided this was the one as the pictures on the website were enticing. I would like to begin with all the good things.......Oh I forget, there were no good things! On arrival we were not greeted as one usual does when entering a hotel instead the staff member ignored us too engrossed in his work, another team member ushered us to come over to him to check us in. During check in we was given no indication about any offers that we were entitled to,when advising about dinner times we chose 6.00pm after he asked when we would like to dine but was then told that dinner starts at 7.00pm. Why didn't he just say that dinner starts at 7pm rather than ask when we want to dine.....that was time wasted and he seemed to think it was funny that we commented on this.
On entering our so called room.....which did not resemble anything on the website! We first noticed the temperature.....freezing, so we turned the thermostat up to the max but there was no improvement after 2 hours so we called through to the reception and asked them to look into our heating not working which they replied "no problem,we'll turn it on". A member of the housekeeping staff came to the door 30 mins later with 2 blankets and advised that the heating would not be turned on till October. By this time, my friend was wrapped up in bed shivering and coming down with a cold. I found this unacceptable and asked that we would need to be moved to another room or have some form of additional heating. The housekeeping staff was extremely apologetic and embarrassed and returned with another 2 blankets and an electric heater. By now, I myself was beginning to feel unwell but it got worse once I ventured into the bathroom......there was toe nail clippings behind the door....mould on the ceiling and the grout was dirty in colour obviously this room had been neglected over the years as dust and cob webs had accumulated over many weeks. The room itself was extremely out dated and severely neglected. See photos. We then decided to take a walk to the Spindles Spa to book a few treatments but found that even though they closed at 10pm as stated on web site, we could only have the one treatment and this was at 4pm!!! This was done by the lovely Beth who was extremely nice,the treatment was done in a WARM room. We were given a voucher for afternoon tea but we wasn't advised on when and how we can redeem,it wasn't until we were getting ready for dinner that the voucher had now expired, if it was explained on how to redeem we wouldn't have been sitting in a cold room starving from 2-7pm. Off to dinner we went hoping that this experience would be short lived....no, it was not to be. Only the floor manager greeted us with a smile and showed us to our table, the rest of the staff were unapproachable and looked like they were being forced to work there, we advised one staff member that a glass on our table had a chip in it and couldn't be used....to our horror it was left and not disposed of....health and safety comes to mind.
The staff were so rude, we started to feel uncomfortable being there. On a plus side, the food was lovely and hot but we wasn't impressed that the food handler was coughing up her guts near the food. We probably over stayed our welcome in the restaurant as it was slightly warmer in there than our room.
After a restless night....we woke and decided not to take a shower. We went straight to breakfast and the service received was no better than the day before, we had more response from the people staying in the hotel..."good morning" goes a long way..even a smile would have been appreciated. After debating on whether to go home we decided to have our massage which we had already paid for the previous day, on arriving at the spa we were greeted by the lovely John with a smile who had taken our booking the previous day and wanted to get us to fill in a declaration form but his manager said it would be ok. After filling in the form,myself and friend were taken into the treatment room for the massage and then advised that because of the declaration form we filled in we couldn't have our treatments because of our medical histories. If this form was given to us at the point of payment as John wanted to do,then this could've been avoided. We were offered Indian head massages but we are both black and have afro hair so this would not have been practical. We wanted our money back and this seemed to cause a problem...after requesting a refund the manager at the spa cam back to advise that we couldn't receive a refund for this treatment we then asked to speak with the hotel manager.After an hour of waiting for the manager we then had to explain the situation 3 times as if we spoke a different language. He advised that he couldn't refund the cash we paid but reluctantly agreed to send us a cheque in the post to the value of that massage treatment:
Dear Natasha
Please accept my sincere apologies for this situation occurring.
I will arrange 2 cheques to be forwarded to you and your friend Cheryl for the value of £15.50 each.
Frank Long
It is now been nearly 2 weeks and we are both still waiting for our cheques, so not only are they incompetent at their jobs but they are liars too.
Overall this is not somewhere we would ever recommend to stay at as the service,facilities and cleanliness was of a very poor standard.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Frederica.

Having spoken to you and Natasha prior to you checking out we discussed the situation with the treatments which I agreed to refund the monies for. I explained that it would take some weeks for the cheques to be processed.
Frederica you will both receive your refunds in due course.

Of course had you advised us of your situation when paying for the treatments the day before we would have advised you then that the treatments requested were unsuitable for you. Then no monies would have been charged.

Having spoken to you both for some time I am surprised that at no time did you mention anything else about your stay.

My apologies that you did not enjoy your visit.

Frank Long
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daresbury
The Park Royal
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
#11 of 21 in Warrington
Premier Inn Warrington South Hotel

Been to Daresbury Park Hotel? Share your experiences!