“This hotel had gone downhill since being bought by Britannia hotels.”

Daresbury Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Daresbury
Rugby, United Kingdom
“This hotel had gone downhill since being bought by Britannia hotels.”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I used to stay here when working in the area when the hotel was owned by De Vere, and used to get a good service, and well maintained facilities, and good food in the restaurant. I have been staying at other hotels in the area, but thought I'd give the Daresbury Park hotel a try as my usual ones were fully booked. The service from staff isn't up to the usual standard, and the staff seem to be always occupied, and have little time for the guests. My room was clean, but was in major need of refurbishment, a lick of paint and new furniture, I mean even the TV is the old style TVs, not flat screen, and you have to pay for Internet in your room. When walking down the corridors, you notice that the carpets are worn out and threads are bare, some of the corridors smell of damp, and the doors are scraped and worn out. The gym area was ok, and was slightly larger than before, but was not impressed with the facilities in the swimming area, the steam room was ok, but there was no sauna, and the jacuzzi was out of order. The breakfast in the morning wasn't as good as it used to be, the bacon was like it had been mass fried in a deep fat fryer, as were the sausages, and the scrambled eggs and beans were dry as if they had been out for hours. The overall experience at the hotel was a big let down, and I will not be staying here again, and another negative which I have not seen before at any other hotels is they charge you £2 if you pay by credit or debit card!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank SukyB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
great wyrley
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here last weekend with my family - The room was spacious, clean and well maintained. The bottle of wine was a nice touch. The food was very well cooked steak exactly as we like it - I would have like an alternative to the rosti potatoes though - breakfast was good - plenty of choice. All served with a smile and staff certainly seemed to value our custom. Just one thing I must add, we were on a meal deal and I would not have paid full price for the food - so do look for the special offers. Because we were on a deal it certainly was good value for money given the access to the leisure service too. A great location, especially when you are a shopaholic and Cheshire Oaks is only a short journey away. We took in the Ice Cream Farm on the way back - free entrance - animals - play areas for the children and lovely ice cream - cant be bad!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed here to break up a long journey. Like most chain hotels it was well located, just off junction 11 of the M56. Don't forget when you leave to get a code number as there is a barrier on the car park. We thought this was a good thing as there were plenty of spaces and we got to park right near reception. We stayed in room 228. We got a very good deal which I think can enhance your perception a little. We paid £84 for 2 of us for a double room with breakfast and dinner. The price also included a £15 charge for our dog. Check in was easy enough but finding our room in the first instance was a long winded job, especially as the signs were a bit sparse. The room was clean and spacious but quite dated and a little tatty in places. We felt that we probably got a lesser room because we had a dog maybe, which is quite understandable. If I was running a hotel I wouldn't allocate the best rooms to guests with dogs. However, if we'd paid full price and hadn't brought the dog we would probably have been a bit disappointed with the decor. Oddly enough we only had a thin quilt and undersheet on our bed which wasn't a problem because the room was very warm, even after we'd switched the thermostat right down. There were the usual shampoos etc in the bathroom but oddly the only drink available on the hospitality tray was tea, there didn't appear to be any hot chocolate or coffee. Dinner was "included" which we paid £24 for at the time of booking. Basically you get an allowance of £32 per couple to spend in the restaurant. With drinks and a £8 surcharge on the steak we had to pay an extra £20 but we were quite happy with that as the menu did explain what was included and what was not. The menu we used was £16 per person for 2 courses with about half a dozen dishes such as steak surcharged. The choice wasn't especially exciting, it put me in mind really of a glorified Wetherspoons. What we had though was quite tasty and most welcome after our long journey. This was the Grill restaurant on level 2 which was also where breakfast was served. There was a leisure complex with swimming pool which we didn't get a chance to use. It looked inviting from the outside though. Breakfast was what you'd expect in a large hotel, buffet style with a large selection of hot and cold food. There was a good choice and the food was nice and warm. The only oddity here was that we were shown to our table which already had a pot of coffee on it in what seemed like a kind of heat proof pot.At first we thought it was empty, although we did manage to get a couple of cups out of it. Although I didn't ask for tea specifically it wasn't offered to us and I didn't see any on other tables so I came to the conclusion that tea here in the mornings isn't the done thing. All I could see were these blue coffee pots on tables which were there for some time as people were being shown to their tables. The most positive thing about the Daresbury is the staff. They were all most helpful and appeared to be happy in their work which is a novelty these days in some places. I might stay here again if the price is right.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I moved out and elsewhere as soon as I could!
The Hotel entrance, Reception area and resteraunt are pleasant fascades to a generally run down hotel. My bedroom was dirty and neglected (cobwebs & very very thick dust) .....there is NO excuse for this!
The £2 charge to use any plastic (including Debit cards) to settle the bill is absolutely rediculous! It's as if someone in Brittania Management has devised a plan to alienate as many customers as possible as quickly as possible
This hotel has clearly been 'milked' over many years and is in need of capital reinvestment and a fundamental culture change throughout.....some basic cleaning would be a good start!
Good luck!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank FinAlly2

Travelers are raving about these Daresbury hotels

East Anglia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Hotel is conveniently sited on the Daresbury business park just off M56 J11 . The large comfortable rooms are clean and well designed and the site is peaceful . If you're looking for a quiet base for Creamfields or en route to Wales, you could do far worse than turn off the motorway here.

Rooms could do with a bit of TLC in places, lay out is slightly confusing ,bar and restaurant almost deserted on Saturday lunchtime - I was the only customer . There is a decent food pub in Daresbury village and shedloads of restaurants in Stockton Heath so you aren't doomed to eat in the Marie Celeste.

As I paid just twenty nine pounds for my B&B room, I was perfectly happy with my purchase . If you're just looking for a budget bed near Warrington, the Daresbury Park is definitely more salubrious than many of the Warrington hotels but if you want a bit more charm you should cough up the extra and stay at the Park Royal in Stretton or head for Knutsford or Chester.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Rogerandme
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Went there for lunch on Thursday 8th November. The restaurant was closed so we decided to have a bar snack. We waited at the bar to be served for a while then what looked like a lad on work experience came to serve me and asked "yes mate?" or some similar expression. He duly served us and we sat down with our drinks. Later on I again went to the bar to order two more drinks and some food, again I waited for a while, meantime behind the bar were two waitresses dealing with other food orders. Both saw me standing there but neither suggested they would be with me shortly or I go sit down and they would come and take my order. Eventually one did serve me and offer to bring our drinks over to our table. We then ordered the Fish and Chips twice. I had to give the waitress my debit card to open up a tab, this she did with a £50 minimum charge for me to be refunded less the difference of our drinks and food upon completion. The meals came. The fish was reeking in fat didn't taste very nice, the chips and mushy peas were tasteless. Despite this we ate most of it and I was charged £23 for the privelage. Upon trying to complete the payment, which after three staff(one called up from downstrairs reception)managed to debit my card and I duly paid. We left never to return again.

On the 10th november I checked my bank account and there was £50 held in reserve for a pending payment. I spoke to my bank, which cost me more wasted money and they said that Daresbury were holding it and only they could release it. I then tried to ring them. When I eventually got through to them and spoke to a human being and not five minutes of automated calling, again which I have to pay for I got through to the receptionist there, Lee, who was helpful he said that Daresbury could not release my money until sometime next week, thats their policy! The Company, The hotel, their administration and their service "STINKS" Wouldn't go there again!!!
John Edge

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jo4404hn
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Only paid £30, for bed and breakfast. Yes, the halls have some wear in the carpets but I dont sleep in the hall. The double room was a little tired and dated but it was also clean and spacious and had all the relevant amenities required. The shower was nice and powerful, and I was pleased to see that mini bottles of shower gel/shampoo etc were provided instead of the ubiquitous can't reach from the bath or shower soap in a pump. Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice to suit everyone, the coffee was nice and hot and I was advised tea would be provided on request. Staff were friendly and courteous, overall I have no complaints, I have paid far more for much worse accommodations...bargain. This was a last minute booking direct with Britannia, £10 cheaper than the online hotel booking sites such as Laterooms....

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vicky S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daresbury
The Park Royal
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
Hallmark Hotel Warrington
#11 of 21 in Warrington
Premier Inn Warrington South Hotel

Been to Daresbury Park Hotel? Share your experiences!