“Overnight near Warrington”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Daresbury
Carvoeiro, Portugal
“Overnight near Warrington”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

First time visit for us to this hotel. Looked for a change to our normal overnight spot (Park Royal), & found this via Laterooms.

Room was OK, but I suspect there's a swimming pool somewhere, as all the corridors smelled of one (not very pleasant). Room was generally OK, no major complaints here. Bed was comfortable, and room seemed clean & quite spacious. Only 1 bath towel provided for us however (a couple).

Restaurant service was friendly, but amateurish. It didn't seem the staff had been trained at all, but were doing their best. We watched some French people at next table, looking at each other in astonishment as one of the waiters left an olive oil trail across the floor & table when they delivered a starter.

I was surprised that our bottle of wine had the cork pulled out through the lead wrapper & wine was poured through the remnants of said wrapper (I wouldn't have thought this was a good hygiene practice). I removed it at first opportunity.

We'd been asked to wait till 19:45 before going for dinner as they would be busy earlier (we did), and on arrival at our table were told there'd be at least a 30 minute wait for anything, as there'd been a bus trip just left the restaurant (which was not more than quarter full when we arrived), and another group would be arriving soon & they'd pre-ordered their food & the chef was busy preparing it. We never saw any sign of any other group, and food was delivered at least 30 minutes after ordering. So, pretty much got what we expected.

Internet connection was included, as was breakfast (which was OK, & all self service - coffee jug on table etc).

In summary, it was OK, but seemed low-end! Back to Park Royal next visit!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

According to locals, this was once a great hotel. My work meant staying here for nearly a month: a mixed experience. You could, I think, be delighted by this hotel; you could equally be very disappointed. I had no major complaints. But I wouldn't rush back.

It's a big, impressive-looking place on a manicured, soulless business park near the motorway. Handy if you're travelling, and the soundproofing blocks out most of the traffic noise. Its market seems to be conferences (it has a fair-sized conference centre), travelling businesspeople and coach tours of quietly courteous elderly people.

My room - I had the same one for all the time I was here - was fine. A standard room, I think. All the usual stuff; a big, comfortable bed, a bathroom with all you need, including a great shower. If you watch TV you might be disappointed by an old set that, I think, picked up only the terrestrial channels. That doesn't bother me.

The hotel itself, when you get past the rather dramatic reception, is a little more worn. This is a hotel that's clearly run on too tight a budget, with things being replaced or updated only when they really have to be. I wasn't bothered by damp, smelly corridor carpets (see other reviews here) but other hotel guests confirmed that this was a problem.

The staff are a mixed bag: mostly friendly, solicitous and capable, but a few whose customer service skills weren't quite up to scratch. There's a general sense of a hotel that's held back not just by a squeezed budget but also by mediocre management.

Other problems? Self-service breakfast was ok, though fermenting grapefruit juice in the dispenser three times in four weeks, and cereal bowls that weren't quite clean, didn't instil confidence. Bar meals were pretty mediocre (à la undressed, limp rocket garnish) and inevitably overpriced. Drive to Stockton Health instead. The internet connection in my room (Ethernet) was slow and patchy, cutting out regularly. The wifi in public areas was OK, though not fast, and sometimes (in the conference centre) cut out for days at a time. I was in the hotel long enough that I used the hotel laundry on several occasions: once they simply forgot to send my shirts off when they should have done, which had me washing a shirt in my bathroom sink one night. It's a trivial thing but I'd have been more impressed by a sincere apology, or had my suggestion that they might knock a few quid off the charge for that ostensibly same-day service been heeded.

The £2 charge to use any plastic, including debit cards, is needlessly penny-pinching, and leaves many feeling ripped off. The bar prices are as absurd as anywhere like this.

If you jog, ask for (easy) directions to the canal path nearby, where you can run for miles in pleasant semi-rural surroundings. I never tried the gym, pool or spa, but they looked nice enough.

This isn't a place I'd warn you off. But nor is it somewhere I'd particularly recommend.

Room Tip: You might want to request a quieter room if you're bothered by traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Wandering_Seahorse
London
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Since last time the service has improved. The disappointing room was a suite this time which was very specious with lounge, bed and bathroom. Two TV's gave the flexibility. Only downside was that the internet connection was both, far from a socket and desk. Overall, I hope that this room represents nore the current standard than the last one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

If something seems too good to be true... It definitely was. Budget rates clearly needed so clients would overlook a hotel with many shortcomings. Reception area very pleasant. Friendly staff BUT..
Awful damp smell in corridor. Leak had soaked carpet and hadn't been dried out. Carpet held together with duct tape and full of holes ..
Room good size but tired. Awful plastic sofa. CRT tv. Bathroom desperately in need of tlc
How sad to see this once great hotel reduced to this. Despite the good breakfast and a cheap room rate, we had the feeling we would have been better off at one of the budget chain hotels - of which there are many excellent examples in Warrington.

• Stayed August 2012

Travelers are raving about these Daresbury hotels

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Got the hotel on laterooms and paid a discounted rate. I travelled with my minature Yorkshire Terrier Sam and he loved the hotel as much as me. From the moment I got out of my taxi a friendly porter came and collected my cases, the dogs basket and sports bags and took them to my room. Hotel Check in was quick and efficient and the blonde haired pretty lady on reception was a credit to it, so friendly and helpful and so were the lads. The room was spacious clean an abundant of fresh towels, homely and bed very comfortable. Bathroom had a large bath and shower and was well decorated in 80s marble. I know the hotel looks very 80s 90s but it has character and not a faceless corporate feel. The breakfast was beautiful, staff very helpful especially Katherine with the dark hair and glasses and a lad with blonde hair who couldnt do enough for me. The cook who cooked the breakfast in front of you supplied fresh ingredients, fruit and hot plates. The coffee shop staff were amazing and friendly making it feel like home from home great when you stay in hotels a lot and want to feel relaxed. The swimming pool and gym were epic and hot tub fun too. The gym staff were all helpful lads and had a laugh and made the hotel feel like a holiday when I was only really there whilst moving house. First time in a gym but they showed me equipment and were awesome. My tiny dog Sam was made a fuss of and the cleaners looked after him whilst cleaning the rooms too. This hotel is very lucky that it has good friendly staff and a good gym as the downside is the food is expensive. Paying 2 quid to use your card is bad but you dont care as much when you feel at home. Wish the hotel was in central Warrington or close to a train station as it is a gem with the gym and spa!

Room Tip: All good rooms I stayed in 2 different parts of hotel and both as good!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
CHESHIRE
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Booked this last minute as a treat and get away from home (20 minutes away!!) - had a lovely massage, went in the swimming pool and hot tub - the changing room (female) was superb, the hotel check in was quick, bedroom was lovely, warm, clean, bathroom was clean and bright, it was very quiet, no door slamming and couldn't hear any noise from other rooms, OK so there's a carpet tear here and there, bit of character!! We didn't go in the restaurant for tea, but breakfast was a little slow to be seated but the food was fair. Check out was also seamless, we'd go again x x

Room Tip: we were on the third floor - very quiet
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WILLETS
London
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at the Britannia Darebury Park Hotel having booked through booking.com for a bargain £49 B&B for the night. Hotel was clean if a little tired and breakfast OK, with friendly staff.
However the visit was marred by a cheap trick pulled by the hotel. there was a £2 surcharge for all credit AND debit card payments. Who expects to pay cash or cheque for a hotel these days, and where was it in the small print before we checked in? And another rant. If the hotel wants customers, why give out an expensive 0871 telephone number to guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daresbury
The Park Royal
#2 of 3 in Runcorn
pentahotel Warrington
pentahotel Warrington
#5 of 21 in Warrington

Been to Daresbury Park Hotel? Share your experiences!