“The best in town ”
Review of Agulhas House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Umkomaas
Agulhas House
Ranked #1 of 11 Umkomaas B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

This house is really amazing , we like rooms , it's very comfortable , your room is opening directly to the pool , everywhere is clean all the time , they get what u want in breakfast , the owner Mickey is very cute also , the best place in town we stayed here 5 nights

Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed November 22, 2013

One of my more regular venues over the past 8 years. I would never stay anywhere else on the South Coast.
The people are friendly, and you always feel safe and welcome. Often leave my room open when going off diving and have never had a bad experience.
Mickeys breakfasts are legendary and rooms and bathrooms always spotless.
Vegard is an excellent dive master and the service from the dive staff is paralleled only by 5 star dive resorts in Europe.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were booked to do dive training at Agulhas House. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Thanks to Mickey Lauren & Brett as well as the normal staff who catered to just about every need that we had or facilitated that our needs were met. The special Braai, the early breakfast and the support throughout the long days of learning as well as assistance with the correct cylinder fills with the diving. Thanks also to the dive leaders who made the dive experience unforgettable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have been diving with Agulhas House for almost 2 years now. It is an awesome place to stay and enjoy the diving at Aliwal Shoal. Vegard is an amazing and exceptionally knowledgeable Dive Master. I feel incredibly safe with him leading the dives. The accommodation is very comfortable and the staff are really friendly. Mickey and Lauren are also very accommodating when booking with Agulhas House. I would recommend them as a destination when visiting Umkomaas.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms are great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Good accommodation and diving centre with very well prepared Dive Master Vegard. Be aware that credit cards are not accepted for payment hence you have to go there with a lot of cash in hand. And then the smart scam takes place. On the last day of our stay, cash was stolen from two out of three of our rooms, from wallets well hidden and locked away. To our great disappointment, no responsibility, action or support was given to us. Be aware: do not take much of value since the safes in the rooms are very small and are not big enough for not even a laptop or valuable photographic equipment. Good luck with tiger-shark spotting and don't go in November as it is not the right season!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth Q
Brett09, Owner at Agulhas House, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

We deeply regret that you feel we took no responsibility, action or support in terms of the alleged theft. From our perspective, we tell all guests to please use the safe for small valuables including cash. Accusing our staff of instigating a ‘smart scam’ because we have no credit card facilities is somewhat harsh. Your party were only informed on the last day that we had no card facility, when you tried to pay with one. Customers do not need to have large amounts of cash lying around – there are two banks with ATMs at the end of our drive which the vast majority of guests take advantage of when settling their bills. Once we became aware of your allegation, and sitting with you to write a formal statement, we contacted the local police as theft is not tolerated and is a dismissible offence for our staff. Please note you asked us not to open a case straight away but try and recover the money first when the staff member came back to work the next day. We informed you based on feedback from the police that they would need to raise a case so that they could investigate and if required prosecute until you opened a case with the police (we are not able to open a case on your behalf). A police case number would be needed for any insurance claim as well – so this was not an entirely unreasonable request from us. . You have not done so, after numerous requests, and have now stated that you will not do so. We are powerless to do anything further without you coming to the party and doing you part despite our best efforts. This is a serious allegation for us and not least our staff who potentially stand to lose their job and face having a criminal record after a jail sentence – we have to do right for all concerned. To say that we should pay for the alleged lose out of our own pockets without any proof or legal action on your part, is not tenable and frankly unreasonable. I would imagine most hotels would have a similar approach. Again we state our commitment to progress this, but we need their support in terms of following correct legal processes and helping us to report this to the appropriate authorities. We have at the time of writing contacted you on numerous occasions informing you of what we need. Even after repeatedly saying you will open a case that day you have failed to do so. I have to ask why?
BTW - Tiger Sharks at The Aliwal Shoal are seen all year round. FIVE were seen this Sunday on 2 separate dives. But like lions in the game parks not guaranteed. That you were able to dive with over 50 Blacktip Reef sharks over 2 dives within meters of you is an amazing dive in itself.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I was coming off a 3 week work trip to Democratic Republic of Congo and needed a place to unwind so I asked my friends at Sandton Scuba if they could recommend somewhere for Diving in or around Durban and they refereed me to Agulhas.

I used their GPS coordinates to find them with my Garmin but it brought me to the wrong place however I was able to use google maps on my phone to get myself the rest of the way there (my Garmin did not have me too far off). I think if you do not know the area it may be a little hard to find but once I learned the lay out of the land they were very easy to get to and from.

Mickey was very helpful in setting up my reservation via email and also very flexible in first extending it and then going back to the original departure when I was there. I changed my stay a couple times due to the weather, first extending to add an extra day and then taking that day back off when the weather did not cooperate with me.

The B&B is comfortable and the rooms have TV, AC, tea pot, and a mini fridge. There is no restaurant on the property but there are a few within walking distance and there is a Spar just a few minutes walk away if you want to buy some food. The B&B also has a common TV room where guests can sit around and chat.

The diving staff were all very friendly and knowledgeable of the local dive environment and provided me with a good safety briefing going over what we could expect as far as underwater landscape and current/ surge. I brought my own equipment with me excluding the wet suit and planned on renting one from the, but the only wet suits they had were all too small for me so I ended up buying one elsewhere (something I had planned on doing anyway).

Sadly the weather did not cooperate with me and of my 3 days of planned diving I only got in the water one day and the surge was rough. The dive was still fun and we saw plenty of sharks, but I think this would be better in November/ December when the winds have died down.

Over all I enjoyed my short stay and plan on returning later in the year to get the dives I missed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Absolutely fantastic stay - great hospitality and brilliant breakfasts from a legend - Mikey.

Wonderful dives with the best dive master in the whole of South Africa... Vega.

Rooms spotless and well maintained by very friendly staff who are only too willing to please.

Lots of Sharks and little fishies seen every time we go diving as well as the occasional whale... Brilliant - the whole family loves this for a long weekend break.

Would recommend this to anyone who dives! Diving kit looked after - washed - cylinders loaded set up - delivered to the boat ... only thing you need to do is tie the buckles before falling in to the sea!

Skippers also great big strong men :-) they manage to get me back in the boat :-) every time!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Umkomaas
Blue Marlin Hotel
#7 of 11 in Umkomaas
Vertical Blue
Vertical Blue
#4 of 12 in Umkomaas

Been to Agulhas House? Share your experiences!