“Exceptional lunch in an old mill building”

Heirloom Cafe Bistro
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Almonte
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The site is a mill building beside the Mississippi River (of the North). The river was in full spring flood and it was spectacular; even later in the summer it's a great view. The restaurant doubles as a small art gallery.

We had never been there before, and we were very pleased with the whole experience. We had a nice roast beef sandwich and a daily special of pizza on focaccia. That description really understates how good the food is: nice sauces, cheeses, garnishes, etc. all were in play. Other diners had ordered food that looked fabulous, too. Prices were very reasonable, and the service was super.

1  Thank rondi3

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Its not often that you can find a decent sit down lunch meal under 18 bucks, its rare that it is a brilliant culinary experience. After some morning appointments in town, my wife and I were able to sneak a weekday lunch date at the Heirloom Cafe Bistro in Almonte. We both had great but very different dishes.
Jennifer had the bison burger. They always seem to get the meat right on this burger. Its always cooked properly but not overcooked. The garnishes change every few months, and this month there was a nice chutney to accompany the chevre cheese. Very good and not greasy at all.
I had the Heirlooms twist on a Quebec classic. I had the Gnocchi & braised beef rib poutine with red wine reduced sauce. I know that sounds strange, but the combination of flavours with the braised beef rib was so unexpected but tasty. I guess it was called a Poutine to sell it, but in reality it was a pasta dish. But I am splitting hairs. What it really was is good. (and enough left over to take home)
I did not have the fish tacos today, but they are a perennial favourite with us. Check them out if you like that sort of thing.

Overall, for a quality, adventurous lunch that is top notch bang for the buck, you have to try this place.
Also, the deserts are great.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Enjoying a meal in a heritage building can be a genuine pleasure, and the Heirloom does have charm and atmosphere, with an upper level devoted to gallery art.
The service tends to be friendly and casual, perhaps too casual at the times when you you do want pay some attention to your party. But the food offerings are imaginative and beautifully prepared.
At my most recent visit, I sampled the freshwater Perch tacos as a starter and they were scrumptious. As for the short-rib main course, it was excellent. A generous slow-cooked portion of the beef was removed from the ribs before serving — and it proved delicious and substantial. It was accompanied by a root-vegetable bread pudding which proved to be a worthwhile discovery. There was also an enticing selection of desserts.
The Heirloom can be pricey, which is further reason to expect more professional service.
Lunch is also worthwhile, with an interesting selection of sandwiches. Some may also consider the noon-hour menu to be better value over-all.

1  Thank travelling1935
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This restaurant provides the best food in Lanark county and I would wager, in the Ottawa area. I understand the chefs are Cordon Bleu graduates (a young married couple) and their food is consistently done to perfection, uniquely tasty and delightfully presented with an obvious attention to detail. I had a vegetable calzone dish that consisted of a delicate pastry filled with sauteed mushrooms, zucchini etc with a home-made tomato sauce--superb! For dessert, I had a cherry creme brulée with baklava, which were both perfect. My party had equally raving reviews. This restaurant is set in the former Almonte Victorian Woolen Mill. Quite spacious and open however I find it's lacking a bit of ambiance. But I will return faithfully as the food is incredible. Excellent service and value for money.

1  Thank Ida E
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Our experiences have always been wonderful in this little restaurant in a beautiful old stone mill. The food is excellent, the service is wonderful and the prices are comparable to fine dining anywhere.

1  Thank Jeri L