“Awesome comida”

Hotel Casa Ulrich
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
“Awesome comida”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

the food here is some of the best in nicaragua - the beef steak melted in my mouth - oh how I miss the bread fruit chips - only recommendation is put Run Down on your menue - I love it
Also did you get some of those kiwi sounds yet - Fat freddys Drop and the black seeds - maybe when I come back I give you some to down load - Gracias - The family from NZ -

• Visited August 2013

Topanga, California
“Fresh fish with local flavors and the perfect view”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Mr. Fred, the chef and co-owner with his wife Reina, concocts masterful fish and seafood dishes using local ingredients like coconut milk, curry, jalapeno sauce etc. We loved this breezy restaurant perched high above the lagoon, and appreciated our friendly hosts.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank maracujagirl
Denver, Colorado, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best chef in Nicaragua...and a world contender”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Sorry for the delay in getting this review out as promised Fred pero mas vale que nunca!

I didn't stay at Casa Ulrich because it was full over Semana Santa but I had the distinct pleasure of eating there. This is by far the best food I've had in Nicaragua (Let me note that I've lived in Nicaragua for 10 years)-and Fred is a world class chef and when I say 'world' I mean it! The guy has been all over and you can tell by the variety in his cuisine (and his stories if you can get him to seat down at your table). I have to recommend the 'pasta mixta' even though I'm not a pasta and seafood kinda guy. I'm more of a purist when it comes to eating my seafood off the shell with nothing but butter or old bay but my girlfriend and I split and plate of the pasta mixta (seafood and pasta) and not only were we both full but it cost us less than $10! And btw this is no 'heavy on the pasta-light on the seafood kinda dish!' There is a full tail of lobster in there and endless fresh, juicy shrimp. What really makes it all happen is the spices--I don't know what's in there but there's plenty of garlic and make sure to ask for some bread to sop it up. It's a 'lick your plate clean' kinda dish. To top it all off Fred and his son were both very hospitable and Fred is the kinda guy that if you can get him to take a seat you're guaranteed to have a few stories to add to the ambience. To top it off my French girlfriend's who is still learning Spanish and hadn't spoken French in months was offered was given a reprieve from both English and Spanish because...of course... Fred is fluent in French. My only caution is watch your step on the way out if you're wearing flip flops (as you most likely will be) -there's a little step there that kept part of my big toe in Pearl Lagoon! :)

1 Thank Furias S