See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had just the loveliest time at Abercelyn.
Lindsay was the most welcoming of hosts (tea and delicious home-made cake on arrival), talking us through the House and all of the stacks of information that she and Ray have built up on the surrounding area, hillwalking and other activities, good local restaurants, etc.
The room was beautiful - , large, very tastefully decorated, spotlessly cleaned by the friendly staff, and with a great window seat. Fab. bath robes too- in a B&B!!! The gardens are also a delight- Lindsay is rightly proud of them.
But the best bit of all was breakfast - just fantastic, home-cooked food, with very obviously quality ingredients from local suppliers.
Thank you, Lindsay and Ray, for a very special stay - I'm sure that we'll be back!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Abercelyn Bala B&B

I booked in at Bala Watersports to do my RYA Seamanship dinghy skills course. My aim was to get accommodation close and quick to the centre. Not really for relaxation and pleasure but I am really glad I stayed here because I got superb relaxation and pleasure.

First thing is that you are asked to take your footwear off at the front door. This seems like a good idea to me when you have light coloured carpets.

I was met and shown to my room. In addition, was given a small flask of fresh milk each day for my tea and coffee. The room was clean are well decorated and comfortable. If I had any non positive comment it was the low energy light bulbs, but that is just my personal dislike. (LED are better). I had a really good nights' sleep but was up early to catch up with some work using the WiFi. There were no problems with bandwidth and I got my VPN up fine. Very good and very easy.

Breakfast was just a delight. We picked our breakfast via a selection list. The eggs were home free range and you could tell. The yolk was that lovely orange colour. I remember this from my own hen many y ears ago. The bread was home baked and the marmalade was thick cut home made. Very nice. Bacon was that nice thick cut stuff. I presume it was local produce. All very tasty.

Abercelyn is close to Bala for travel but far enough away to give you the feeling of isolation.
It was the attention to detail that I have only seen in 5 star hotels that did it for me. Very relaxing stay indeed.

Excellent drying facilities for Wetsuits and all your wet clothing.
I think this was one of the best B&B's that I have stayed in.

Gary

PS I have noticed that some reviewers have only given 4 stars in the review for Value for money. I have stayed in many places at twice the price and half the quality.

Room Tip: I had a side view but it was fine. I don't sit looking out of the window all day.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Gary C
walker-paddler, Owner at Abercelyn Country House, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Gary
We are pleased that you enjoyed staying at Abercelyn Country House. On a matter of clarification we only suggest that guests should not wear walking boots in the house.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

we found Abercelyn fantastic for a cycling and walking weekend away. It is walking distance along pedestrian and cycle paths to Bala for easy access to the town, but also direct access to minor roads into the Welsh country side. Lindsay and Ray had good knowledge of the local area and were very willing to share it. The food was excellent with more choice for breakfast than we have seen anywhere else. A nice touch was tea and cake on arrival.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Leaving Bristol behind we spent the day travelling through Wales and by early evening arrived at Abercelyn - a beautiful, spacious house with wonderful surroundings, and out stay for the next four days. From our front bedroom we could see out towards the mountains and felt a world away from the city. There was plenty of flowers and birdlife in the lovely gardens, including a dipper singing in the stream. We enjoyed relaxing in our room in the evenings, and looked forward to our breakfasts with a super menu to suit each morning. With some top tips from our hosts and a map to borrow we were set for our trips out each day. A really relaxing break and rather a shame to be back in the real world again back home!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at Abercelyn. On arrival we were offered tea and warm scones in front of the log fire, a lovely touch and very welcome. Lindsay and Ray were very helpful but never intrusive. Our room, and the rest of the house, was spotlessly clean. Breakfasts included home baked bread and preserves and eggs from the hens kept in the garden. The fresh milk in a flask for the beverage tray in our room was great and much nicer than long life. A thoroughly relaxing break in delightful surroundings. We have already recommended Abercelyn to friends and will certainly visit again ourselves.

Room Tip: We stayed in Berwyn room which was large and had comfortable chairs to relax in
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple