“14 hungry folk”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Two of our party had completed the "Race the Train" event in the afternnon and were looking forward to a good "pub" meal. After trying elsewhere a customer in another pub told us to try the "Railway at Abergnolwyn" - just managed to beat the rush at 6.00 p.m. and found enough seats for all of us - ordered drinks and looked at the menu - with the wide range we were a bit worried whether we were getting "boil in the bag" stuff - when the food arrived not only were we impressed by the size of the portions but also by the quality - it was terrific !! Even the smaller members of our party cleared their plates.
The welcoming attitude of all of the staff and very reasonable prices made for a very enjoyable experience. Thanks to all the staff at the Railway !! Will be recommending you to as many as we can.

1  Thank Robert H
There are newer reviews for Railway Inn

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were a party of four travelling back from Twywn at on a Sunday lunchtime unable to find anywhere in Twywn to eat. On the journey we were passing through Abergynolwyn and spotted the railway inn on the right side of the road, a quick U trurn and parking up in the car park opposite we walked into the bar at 14:20. The chap behind the bar was really welcoming and when I asked if they were serving food the said that the kitchen closed at 14:00 on Sundays, disappointed we about turned and the chap said, would Sunday lunch be sufficient? Just what we wanted except for one of our party who is a strict vegetarian (a veggie dish was prepared especially), we has a table in the bar area which was Ideal and our meals were served promply by staff that actually appeared to enjoy what they were doing. Service was great, more drinks, sauces, nothing too much trouble. I must say that we were impressed by the staff and their attention to their customers. The meals were excellent with plenty of good tasting food on our plates. Driving back from Twywn we were disappointed that there was no-where to eat, what luck that we dropped on this establishment. Recommended for service, food and friendliness. Restored our faith in eating out in Wales during our holiday from Spain.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

The old fashioned village pub setting added to my enjoyment of the evening. Since moving to the area recently 'The Railway Inn' has been mentioned to me more than once as somewhere worth visiting for a meal. I was delighted to be invited to join friends there on Saturday evening, they had booked a table, it is apparently always advisable to do so, as this venue is popular in the locality. The menu had a good selection to cover all tastes and my fish choices from the specials menu met my expectations. Good tasty food, well cooked and presented at reasonable prices.
I definitely hope to be returning.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had brought a party of 10 ramblers to Abergynolwyn for a short walk followed by lunch at the Railway Inn. Although we had booked for 1 pm, we were delayed until 1.30 and arrived with two extra people. I had not been able to contact the Inn to warn them because of poor mobile phone coverage. However, even though we had arrived late, and at their busiest time, we were quickly and courteously seated. We were warned that, because the Inn was busy, the food would take some time to arrive, which was not a problem, but the quality was superb when it arrived. (Random comments overheard were “ I've never see a piece of beef this big”, “absolutely gorgeous”, “lovely”.) The beer was an excellent Brains Reverend James and an enjoyable Greene King IPA, and everyone agreed that all the prices charged were very reasonable. If you go for lunch, try to get there before the passengers off the lunchtime train on the Talyllyn Railway get in to Abergynolwyn village from the station (about 1.25 pm), but with that proviso I would recommend the Railway Inn to anyone without hesitation, and the same was true of every other member of my party.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I were staying in Tal-Y-Llyn last week and after having a disappointing meal at the Pen-Y-Bont, did what we'd we'd been advised to do in the 1st place and visited the Railway Inn.
We booked for 8pm and got there 10 mins. early and were told to sit outside the restaurant. Just before 8pm we were ushered in, but a couple who were already waiting outside, jumped up disgruntled as they'd been sitting there waiting for their 7.45pm meal booking.

I ordered a roasted veg. bake and my husband a sirloin steak. We had the option of chips and peas or veg. We both opted for the chips and peas. It was interesting to see that the people who'd ordered the veg.got veg AND potatoes (the table next to us even got more potatoes when he asked) There was a definite inbalance in the amounts. Usually there is a choice of potatoes plus veg or salad. So, I had for my £8.95 (I think) veg chips and a pasta bake with a couple of bits of each of carrot, sweet potato/butternut squash, parsnip and cheese. Not much at all and very tasteless. Not a roasted pepper or courgette in sight. My husband's steak was good though.

Making matters worse, the people that had the 7.45pm booking were served their dinner after us!
There was a table of 4 already eating their dinner when we got in and when we left at 9pm they were still sitting with their empty plates,and no one came to ask them if they wanted anything else.
We would've had a dessert, but as no one came to ask us if we wanted one, and we felt that we'd beenn ripped off with the 1st course we left without one. A pity, because it was a nice place.

Along with our experience and readin some of the other reviews, I don't think we'll go back when we're next in the area.