“A very special place!”

and 1 more site!
Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eglwys Fach
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a very special night at Ynyshir Hall, a small country hotel nestling in the mountains of Powys on the edge of the Dyfi Estuary which is one of the finest natural habitats for birds in the country. We were not prepared for how wonderful this hotel is - we knew the food was superb because it had been recommended prior to our visit but WOW, what a superb location and I have never visited a hotel with more friendly staff. We enjoyed the 10 course tasting menu prepared by the Michelin Star awarded chef which was definitely the best I have had for a long, long time (I nearly licked the plates clean it was so good) and the accompanying recommended wines were sublime. You really feel you are visiting old friends when you stay at this lovely place and I really can't wait to go again! Special thanks to Joan, the manager who is such a lovely lady and also sweet little Barbara who I can honestly say NEVER stops smiling - the happiest waitress I have ever met We spent the morning visiting Portmeirion which is about 45 minutes away and is well worth a visit.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms

Reviewed June 28, 2010

My girlfriend and I were lucky enough to stay at Ynyshir Hall and we had an excellent stay. The owner Jean was one of the friendliest people I have ever met and the staff could not do enough for us. The location is Ideal- Close to a beautiful wildlife reserve and not far from lovely sand dunes (which the owner drove us to and picked us up from due to us not having a car!) which lead to the lovely seaside town of Borth. The actual grounds of the hotel are splendid and we had a lovely afternoon relaxing on the grass reading the sunday papers.

The hotel itself is the perfect combination of impressive yet welcoming. I really liked the decor including the collectables and lovely paintings on the wall. We stayed in the Goya room and had one of the best nights sleep I've had in a long time.

Now to the food. What can I say but it was truly out of this world. It was perfect and am not surprised it has a Michelin star.

I felt urged to write this review as I regularly read Trip Advisors review but never write them but after seeing some negative comments on here I felt urged to write. I couldn't fault the hotel, the staff or the service and my girlfriend and I are planning to return for our anniversary. Overall we had such an unforgettable weekend and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Ynyshir Hall to our friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

If you want a hotel in the middle of nowhere, this is it! the nearest town is 13 miles away and there is very little else to do. However, as we wanted to do nothing except relax and eat, it was perfect!
The hotel is old and characterful and the service is very friendly. The grounds are beautiful and lovely to walk around in good weather.
Our bedroom was very big and well furnished, very comfortable bed, and a big decanter of sherry, large TV and Ipod dock. However, the bathroom needed attention. Considering the room prices, I would not expect peeling wallpaper, poor shower, and lack of separate bubble bath. However, it was very clean and had lovely fluffy towels and bathrobes. I think the hotel is due a big refurb shortly, so hopefully this small aspect will be sorted out soon.
I would strongly recommend the taster menu, accompanied by the wine tasting menu. We had both twice and is worth the money and experience.
We were told the hotel was to be extended and have beauty facilities added.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Just returned from sublime weekend at Ynyshir Hall. Everything perfect and superbly hosted by Joan who made us extremely welcome and couldn't do enough for us. Felt like we were her house guests
Stayed in Degas, one of the smaller suites but beautifully decorated and very comfortable with small sitting room. Our friends stayed in Vermeer and Renoir both lovely large rooms with sitting areas, colour co-ordinated and spacious bathrooms on two levels
Dinner on both nights excellent with greta choice of good, interesting wines
An added bonus is he RSPB reserve two seconds away and accessed through the hotel grounds
A wonderful May Bank Holiday weekend!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We stayed for two nights and paid £1,100 for bed, breakfast and dinner. The staff is very attentive, professional and the restaurant food is truly amazing. The most dissapointing part was the accomodation. The hotel has not had a refurbishment probably for the last 20 years and is in severe need of upgrading. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. My recommendation would be to stay one night at most or in a different hotel and book a dinner at the hall.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We stayed at this hotel in august 09 - for a get away treat at the last minute. Our overall view was that the building and particularly the grounds were generally run down and in need of some TLC. There were very few staff around to assist and there were only 2 other couples apart from us eating in the restauarant, which lacked any kind of atmosphere. There was no one around at the end of our meal to offer coffee, drinks etc - the service and surroundings just does not live up to the cost of staying here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lovetraveltogether
Reviewed December 26, 2009

This hotel is a real gem. We had an amazing experience here and were treated like King and Queen. Rooms are tastefully decorated and exquisite. Everything is extremely clean and well maintained and service is exceptional. All the staff are courteous, friendly, helpful and basically will go out of their way for you. Nothing is too much trouble. Food is so out of this world by Head Chef Shane Hughes. Overall it was a magnificent experience and we will return.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eglwys Fach
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall Hotel
Gwesty Cymru
Gwesty Cymru
#1 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms? Share your experiences!