“Great get-away spot in mid-Wales.”

Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eglwys Fach
London,England
“Great get-away spot in mid-Wales.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2007

A repeat visit to this lovely Relais & Chateau property which recently changed ownership. Fortunately the previous long time owner still runs the hotel and provides a welcoming personal touch. The chef is also new and is maintaining the very high standards set by his predecessor. All in all, a very lovely spot to spend a few days exploring the surrounding beautiful mountains, valleys and sea coast.

• Liked — The food and the ambiance
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank plkmtk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Meirionnydd
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2006

I am always bemused by the constant good ratings this place receives in the Good Food Guide. We have three times visited (and yes the owner's sychophancy grated each time, and yes the chef at the time I would swear was on a night off). The hotel is in a beautiful setting but is tired and cheap in some areas of decor. Each visit, wines we chose were not on the list - one occasion it took three attempts to actually choose - easy to have an elaborate wine list if you're not stocking them! I remember a bland belly pork dish - cheap stuff - not worth the money. One lamb main course my friend found inedible.

One peculiar aspect in this hotel is how many guests they seem to be able to house. On two occasions, we were booking for 6-8 people, and the owner made a fuss about whether we could be accommodated, only to find on the night that we were the only diners apart from another couple! I truly suspect what is going on in this establishment. The second visit, I asked for confirmation that this superb new chef was working - though they said yes I am pretty certain he was not.

Because of the fuss made in guides we have persisted, but it cannot be all coincidence. Something doesn't add up here.

• Stayed September 2006
11 Thank Oystercatcher
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2006

Watch the bill

We've just returned from a two night stay at Ynyhsir Hall. The setting is truly wonderful but we do feel we've paid London prices for the privilege. Rooms were nice but expensive....but it was the food and wine that really was a double whammy! There was a set price menu (no choice) at £65 per head and the accompanying wines were charged at £30 per person. So in all dinner was £95 before any bar drinks or coffee! The food and prices are over the top for the hotel and as there's little choice locally I'd say this hotel should come with a big health warning for your pocket!

• Liked — Views, peace and tranquility
  • Disliked — Smelt musty and felt the rooms weren't used very often
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not eat at the hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank Knightsbridgetripper
Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2006

My wife and I have just returned from a short stay at Ynyshir Hall. We decided on Ynyshir Hall because of the many good reviews we have read in a number of leading publications. The Hotel is charming with wonderful grounds and the service was friendly and attentive, yet we feel it was very poor value for money. We stayed in a four poster room named Hogarth (£285) which was just about worth the money. The real disappointment came with the food, which was the main reason for our stay. It was a fixed menu of five courses costing £65. After hearing so much about the quality of the food we were looking forward to a gastronomic treat. Unfortunately it really failed to deliver. With each course we expected an improvement and each time we felt disappointed. There are so many wonderful places to eat these days but unfortunately in our experience this is not one of them. All in all our stay cost just under £500 and it was not money well spent.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank tim22
Berkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2006

We visited Ynyshir Hall for a meal during July on a Friday night when the Gourmet Menu was being served. I share a previous reviewers comments as they obviously had the same menu as us. A lot of repetition, a very unpleasant pigeon breast as the main course and generally nothing exceptional. The scallop was overcooked, small and rubbery. Though I love the idea of a tasting menu it is an extremely long drawn out affair and conversation and stamina were severely waining by the time the final course arrived. Bear in mind the service is at the pace of the slowest eater, therefore there can be quite a long gap between courses and I was "passed it" by the end. Several people left before coffee as it was past 11 o'clock by the time dessert was finished. One thing that niggled me was the wine. They do have a very good idea of serving different wines with different courses, about 5 in total I think. When my husband decided to choose this option I voiced my concern to the barman/owner that I was driving so would only partake of one glass to which he replied I can stop when I've had enough. Fair enough but I was still charged the full £30 for no more than one and a half glasses in total. Also, our son had "two fingers" of wine to try as a treat and he too was charged the full £30. This could have just been a mistake with the bill but I don't think this should have happened as I had raised the issue at the start of the evening. Total bill for 3, £325. Would I go again, probably not. I think this is seriously overpriced. Compare it with, say, Hibiscus in Ludlow where the food is in a different league for so much less. Beautiful setting, lovely decor. As an aside, am I the only person who absolutely hates the host/hostess of any establishment doing the rounds of the tables making small talk?

Stayed July 2006
7 Thank Comophile
derby
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2006

My husband and I booked a night at Ynyshir Hall Hotel on 17th June expecting a treat. All the reviews we had read about this establishment assured us that we would be served a meal to remember in beautiful surroundings. The surroundings were lovely, but the hotel is dated and our room, although pleasant, not worth the £250 charge. Our meal was extremely poor. This hotel restaurant receives 8 points in the Good Food Guide, has a Michelin Star and 4 AA Rosettes. We had been warned when we booked that a no-choice 'gourmet' menu costing £65 per head would be served that night. We expected something special; instead, we received a procession of amateurish, tiny (ie one scallop) dishes in which several items (risotto, ice cream, pannacotta) were repeatly served. The main course consisted of an almost raw pigeon breast which proved impossible to cut with the cutlery provided, accompanied by a smear of mango puree and an eggcupful of potato. The ingredients, with the exception of the scallop, were cheap. Our one night stay, including modest drinks, cost us £450 and we feel we were taken advantage of. A request to the Hotel for an explanation remains unanswered. We are sure the named chef was not in the kitchen on the night we dined there and suspect he may have left; - other potential visitors beware!

12 Thank smidge123
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2006

I have just returned from the most fabulous weekend at Ynyshir Hall. The hotel is set in breath taking scenary in the most beautifull area of Wales. The drive up from Cardiff through the brecons is stunning. The hotel itself is absolutley charming. Expect lavish furnishing, striking pieces of artwork and antiques. The room we stayed was called Howgarth and was the ulimate in romance. Four Poster bed decorated in rich deep purple crushed velvet and gold scatter cushins. The bathroom was in marble with white shutters on the window and antique water jugs and bowls very reminisant of places I have stayed at in France.

The main reason for visiting Ynyshir was the food and it did not disappoint. Michelin starred cusine at its most finest and wine to match. The combinations of food were spectacular, foie gras with red mullet on a bed of puy lentils was amazing. I recommend you take the option of tasting menu if this is offered as you will have the chance to try so many of the things on the menu and allow the dining room staff to match the wine to the food it really does make such a diffence.

The grounds of the hotel are quite simply beautfull, the prefect setting for a summers evening pre-dinner drink or maybe afternoon tea. The staff at the hotel are ever present and very discreet. The owners Joan and Rob are perfect hosts and always on hand to help or advise or simply to have a chat with before dinner. The other guest staying at the hotel were all very nice and all different age groups. Everyone we spoke to really enjoyed their stay.

Come to Ynyshir for pure charm, excellent food and a truley magical experience.
We will definatley visit again, thank you.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank splimsplam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eglwys Fach
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 4 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Plas Dolguog Hotel
#2 of 3 in Machynlleth
Conrah Hotel
Conrah Hotel
#3 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms? Share your experiences!