White River Motel
All reviewsan extra nightone nightworked finegas stationroom was cleanfree wifioff the highwaysmall towncoffee makerwinnie the poohwould stay againrobinstvcanadamicrowavewinnipegpillows
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed at White River Motel 11 March 2012 for one night. Reception treated us very well with a good exchange of warmth and laughter. Our room was very warm and free of draughts; it is especially important at this time of the year! White River Motel has myriad amenities, is very clean and appealing, and we think that the value is excellent for this motel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We stayed one night here and were overwhelmed by how nice it was. We had one of the newer rooms next door and were not dissapointed in any way, shape or form.
From when we first arrived the lady at the desk handed over a key and asked if we wanted to see the room before we checked in.
It was beautifull, clean, spacious with a great big bathroom. We felt right at home. There is a doughnut shop next door that had great coffee so all was well. I went for a walk in the field behind before dark and we snuggled in bed and watched some TV before calling it a night.
If ever in the area again we would not think twice about pulling in and staying. Everyone has different likes and dislikes but with what we saw and how we were treated there is nothing wrong at all with this place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I'm not sure how to review this motel as our strange experience turned out fine in the end and I get the impression that the situation was out of the ordinary for this motel. So, I'll simply tell our story...

I had reserved a room before our trip, and check in went well...until we were handed our key. There was only one key instead of the usual two, and the lady at the front desk (sorry, didn't get her name) wasn't sure where the other key was. She wasn't sure if the people who were in the room the night before took the key home with them, or if they were to have changed rooms and didn't, so she told us to go grab some dinner and she would have it figured out by the time we got back.

Fast forward an hour or so... We came back and were told that she (the lady at the front desk) had called the chamber maid. The chamber maid told her that the room had been vacated and cleaned and the previous guests had forgotten to return the key, but they were definitely gone, so it was okay for us to use the room assigned to us.

Since the whole situation was wierd, we decided to check out the room before bringing in our luggage. When we walked in, the beds were made and the bathroom looked very clean. In fact the whole room looked very clean except for the 2 sets of keys, water bottles, change, cigarette box, donuts, and a loaf of bread on various tables & shelves throughout the room. To be honest, it looked like the room had been cleaned, but the maid had been called away (or something like that) before she could gather up the garbage. Still, it didn't leave a good impression, and we weren't comfortable with the situation at all.

We went back to the front desk and told the couple running the place what we had found. The lady gave us the impression that she was going to go up to the room, clean out the garbage and have us stay there anyways. There was no way I was going to sleep in a bed that we weren't sure had been changed, and we would have complained further if that had been recommended, but thankfully, Mr. front desk person was there by this time and told her to take us to the cottage.

We had to get in our van and follow her down the road about 500 m. We wound up in a trailer park where we were put into a cottage that is normally rented by fishermen. It was way more than we needed (6 bedrooms, sleeps 11, full kitchen, etc...) but it was very clean and the beds were comfortable.

As I said, it turned out alright in the end, and I do get the impression from the rest of the place (other than the garbage left in the room) that it is normally very clean, but personally, I would hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank 1ove2travel
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My my, our world is really getting so creepy. We stayed at this motel as we had traveled all day and we were tired. We informed the owner Jean, that we had a dog that was blind and deaf, and has to be carried everywhere, our poor little scampy can'teven walk as he is 18 yrs. old. We keep him in doggy diapers and in his little basket. We wanted one last trip to the lakes with him so we took him. We have since had to put him down, but the smell of the fresh air and lakes we only hope it brought back fun memories for him.
We just checked our credit card and were charge an additional 100.00, didn't call us, just took the liberty to charge our credit card. Their reason...that scampy had CRAPPED all over the floor and they had to clean it up, oh she said he drug his bum on the carpet, trust me this is what she said. We live in Oakville, love to travel Ontario and enjoy fishing etc. and we especially love the OLD mom and pops motels, because they are always so nice. Not in this case, I couldn't believe how nasty this Jean was, how cruel she talked about our dog dragging his bum on the carpet. The room wasn't clean, water dripped all night, and very noisy out back, but we never complained at all. I do know that I will never ever trust any motel now, and I will for sure make the owners come to our room when we are checking out. I am a business owner in Canada and the U.S. and would never treat customers as she did. What goes around comes around and when this lady learns how to treat people fairly and not nasty like she did, maybe she won't be so nasty and cruel and sneeky by charging our credit card an additional 100.00. I'll certainly pass this on to the Chamber of Commerce in White River Ontario also. SO SAD!

Linda and Allan McDowell

Room Tip: They stole from us an additional 100.00
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Chloegirl144
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My husband and I were traveling from Sault St. Marie by motorcycle and White River was a stopover on the way to Thunder Bay. When we arrived at the White River Motel, they were just finishing cleaning and it was spotless when we stepped in. They even cleaned the outside of the picture window so we would have a clean view! We were very happy with this motel and even more impressed with the owners. Mr. Owner (sorry I never caught his name), another guest and my husband and I sat outside on porch chairs and visited for a good two hours before the cool night air drove us inside. These are wonderful people who want to make sure your stay is a positive one. I would highly recommend this as a good night's stay if you're in route from Sault St. Marie and Thunder Bay. Very quiet, too! I would discourage anyone from eating at the Continental Restaurant across the street. Very expensive for below average food. There are other options available so pick one of those for your meals.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family