“Great service, excellent value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Belfry Hotel

The Belfry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Littledean
Cambridge
“Great service, excellent value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

I stayed at The Belfry, Littledean, for two nights from the 3rd to the 5th September with seven friends, we used it as a base to tour Mid and North Wales on our motorbikes. The rooms were well appointed and clean and all the staff were pleasant and helpful. We used the bar and restaurant for dinner, breakfast and evening drinks and it was all very congenial. The location, close to the Welsh border, provided plenty of opportunities to tour out from the Forest of Dean to the Brecon Beacons. We were charged a rate which we all felt was very reasonable. We chose The Belfry on the recommendation of one of our number who had stayed there before. Overall it represented excellent value for money; we’ll likely use it again, and would have no hesitation in further recommending it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank MikefromMelbourn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ipswich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

It is lovely when a hotel that you expect little from delivers so much. I stayed here 1 night in January and this is the headliner – double room, breakfast, steak dinner, 2 beers 2 wines - £51. This hotel is a bargain but it isn’t low rent in terms of niceness. The rooms are US motel style located in a 2 story ‘chalet’ type arrangement at the rear of the pub. They are of reasonable size with shower, terrestrial TV (Sky in the bar) and plenty of shelf / hanging space. The double bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets and towels were all of very high quality. OK the rooms are not luxurious in terms of fixtures but I have stayed in far worse for three times the price.

In the Pub both the dinner and breakfast were lovely, very well cooked and large portions. The only minor criticism here would be a lack of pub atmosphere as the place is geared more towards food. All the staff were friendly and capable.

One thing to bear in mind is that mobile phone signals are hard to come by in this area so don’t stay here if you need to be in constant contact with the office.

The Belfry represents extreme value for money and in this area I will, henceforth, stay nowhere else. Well done the Belfry.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank wardster
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

Motel style accommodation, but that allowed me to come and go through the night at will as my work required. The rooms are not large but certainly big enough. Shower room rather than bathroom but that is ok with me. I was impressed enough to suggest a colleague stay as well, and he was also impressed. The staff were very helpful. Bed confortable, good tea and biscuit tray. The room was clean, but I don't go looking for dust. I enjoyed my stay and would certainly stay there again. Amazing value at £30 per night including a very full English breakfast.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank LondonDaveTheRave
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

We stayed one (Saturday) night whilst visiting relatives. The room was a small double. We were glad we had a small overnight bag not 2 large suitcases. There was a good tea tray & small tv. The bathroom could have been cleaner, but then I usually think that. Maybe my standards are too high? The shower was awkward to use but once we got the hang of it was good but the shower tray/space very small. Luckily we are not very big people. However the room was very comfortable for a short stay. We were in a downstairs room in a modern annex. There were no opening windows. There was little sound insulation between us & the floor above us, but fortunately the people above were considerate. Plenty of free parking. The breakfast was excellent. Good big plate of full English, OJ & toast. Good & hot. We felt the chef who was cooking & serving could have done with a helping hand. The attached pub/restaurant served very good cheap & cheerful lunchtime pub grub (2 for £10), & a good further menu. According to the locals there is a very good Sunday lunch buffet/carvery there & booking is recommended. Saturday night in the pub there was a live singer. Much too loud. We were allowed to sit in the restaurant area & have a drink & we could still here very well. Overall it was very good for £50 for the night. I would call this more of a pub with accommodation rather than a hotel, which may account for the previous comments about staff being a little laid back. We to phone twice to make the booking ourselves. We were also unable to get a mobile phone signal from here but we were told Vodaphone would have had better coverage in that area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SurreySKIers
Hertfordshre
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

The room was very nicely decorated, the bathroom had been tiled throughout and was clean. The shower was excellent albeit a bit on the small side for my 6 ft 3 husband! The bed was very comfortable although again a bit small. On arrival at Reception we rang the bell but had to wait quite a long time before anyone came to check us in. The restaurant was very quiet and we asked if we could eat in, and again it took quite a long time to get served. The food was adequate. Breakfast was good but service was a bit slow, the waitress seemed to have difficulty remembering who had ordered what - but it was charming rather than irritating. She was doing her best! On checking-out we realised that they hadn't included the meal the previous evening and this took quite a long time to sort out. All in all I would recommend this hotel to friends and relatives.

• Liked — bedroom/bathroom
  • Disliked — all OK
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Littlemac52
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

A few weeks ago I rang this hotel (twice) to discuss booking my wedding reception and I'm still waiting for a reply. I've given up and booked somewhere else now.

I had to cajole a staff member into taking my phone number for the manager to call me back, rather than them offering to take it. The staff members I spoke to on both occasions were sadly rather abrupt.

I found this to be poor customer service - who can afford to turn away £1,000 worth of business in one service? How would they treat you with only £15 or £150 worth of business? They don't seem to care.

If this is an indication of service levels, be wary.

• Stayed May 2008
4 Thank tiger_greeneyes
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

After 7 hours on the road struggling against road blocks at every turn, driving through flooded roads that looked more like rivers, and faced with spending the night on a leisure centre floor, we stumbled accross a place to spend the night. We managed to get the last three available rooms for £30 each and didn't have high hopes at all. We arrived as the pub was near to closing, checked in quickly and went to our rooms which looked like an American motel from the outside. Once through the doors we were amazed to discover how nice they were. The rooms were well decorated with nice wooden furniture, large leather backed beds and a cosy country cottage feel. The Bathrooms were small but nicely fitted out and the rooms had everything we needed. All of the staff were friendly and really helpful, even letting us eat our fish and chips in the pub while we guzzled back a bottle of wine. Definitely a place to stay if you're ever in the area, whether it's due to flooding or not!

• Stayed July 2004, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank hanpan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Littledean
The Speech House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lower Wick
DeanGate Motel
DeanGate Motel
#1 of 1 in Lydney

Been to The Belfry Hotel? Share your experiences!