“Thinly veiled facism for cretins”

Littledean Jail Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Exeter, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Thinly veiled facism for cretins”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Horrible, right- wing memorabilia that leaves you distressed that you paid to fund further purchases of this nature. Whilst masquerading as a museum of crime, it makes you feel more like you've accidentally gone in to a UKIP meeting; there is no theme, rhyme or reason for the existence of this pervert's paradise. We are not shocked by sexual deviancy, but did not wish to enter what is blatantly someone else's S and M fantasyland. Like a theme park for paedos and murderer lovers.

Visited June 2014
16 Thank joe s

• Slovak first
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Dark, Different and Delightful!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We travelled from the depths of Devon to check out the delights of Littledean Jail. My friend had come across a brochure on another of her excursions and knew that Littledean would be right up my alley, so to speak...she wasn't wrong.
From the moment we drove up and were presented with the building itself, I knew we were in for a treat. The jail itself is steeped in history, I would have visited just to see the building alone.

Inside was a veritable feast of freakishness!
Anatomical anomalies in jars, taxidermy specimens, various oddities surround you from the moment you step inside. There's a large movie memorabilia collection, an amazingly poignant wartime section touching heavily on the Nazi movement with vast amounts of militaria, lots of KKK artefacts, serial killer sections, allsorts of torture devices and few areas teaching us more about capital punishment through the years. I was also rather fond of the cell dedicated to The Sex Pistols.
I had my picture taken in an electric chair and spent a rather chilling quiet moment sitting in one of the empty cells.
I must include also for the MODS among you, there is a rather impressive room concerning all things Quadrophenia. Some pretty tasty scooters in there and lots bits and bobs that were actually in the movie. Worth a look if you're into that kind of thing.

I see there are people here complaining that they didn't enjoy the experience and a few griping about the endless newspaper clippings depicting death, killers, nakedness, debauchery and dubious goings on. I see cries of ' well, anybody could have collected all these newspaper clippings'. Thing is... they didn't!

Littledean is something to be experienced, something of the likes you will probably not see again.

There are only two warnings I would give you.. don't take young children along, and wheelchair access is a no no. It is possible to get around but it would be a bit of a struggle.

Take a chance, it won't kill you and who knows, the resident ghosties might take a shine to you ;)

Visited May 2014
16 Thank 22Sarah
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Great”
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

On the May Day bank holiday my partner and I decided to visit after a family member had suggested it after their visit. At first I didn't know what to think. I found everything very interesting even though some of it is disturbing. The signs really do spell it out, not for the faint hearted or easily offended!!! There is an awful lot to take in and you cannot possibly do it in a visit, however this is not made easy by everything just being everywhere. You literally do not know what to look at as you turn as there is so much. I found the upstairs a waste of time as I'm not really into the whole celebrity off the rails kind of thing, we see that every day in newspapers. Definitely do not take children!!!! Would recommend if you like a bit of history, weird stuff and crime I guess.

16 Thank Sjabena
Northampton, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Pure genius.”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

If you are easily offende, stay away. If not get in there and enjoy a unique visit to this genuinely haunted jail. Cant say whats in there as some would complain, so go visit and have your breath taken away. Open Thurs to Sunday.

Visited May 2014
15 Thank Leslie D
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A very weird waste of time”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Not what we expected. We thought it would be based on the history of the jail and the prisoners that had been kept there.
Instead the walls are plastered with z-list celebrities, naked women and weird horror models. The rooms are cluttered and there doesn't seem to be any theme at all. There is everything from the klu klux klan to page 3 model photos (in no particular order). I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

6 Thank Bhughes13