“Smashing !”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Swan Lake - CLOSED

Swan Lake
Cuisines: British, Russian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Smashing !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We dined here with friends who live locally and had decided to come here after being recommended to.
It's a cosy little lounge which is truly Russian in its ambience even down to the smallest detail such as the pretty red patterned cutlery and the wooden, hand painted cups for water and the Russian music. The menu does include English dishes but we opted to sample the Russian cuisine and were not disappointed. We had the salmon and prawn salad to start ( you can see the Russian names and menu on their website ) and I had veal for my main which was in a DELICIOUS red wine sauce. My partner had wild boar with cedar nuts and cranberries. The carrots which accompanied this were possibly the best carrots we'd ever
tasted! I tried the cottage cheese and sultana pancakes for dessert. Russian cottage cheese is sweeter than our cottage cheese and it was a lovely dessert - my only criticism is that I didn't find any sultanas in it at all. We sampled the Georgian wine which was very nice , although more to my taste than my fellow diners' since it was slightly sweet tasting, but there are a number to choose from. The service was very hospitable and the proprietor came over to find out where we were from and to ask how we'd heard of his restaurant. He seemed very keen to ensure that we had an enjoyable evening. Prices were good considering the very good standard of food. Would definitely recommend and would love to go again.

• Visited July 2013

Swansea, United Kingdom
“A Special Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were camping nearby in Drybrook and let's just say the weather wasn't up to barbecuing. I had already found this restaurant on Tripadvisor and was very impressed by what I'd seen on their own website. They have some very helpful photos of their dishes to tease the tastebuds.
The owners have taken over a pub which was previously The Swan Inn. It is a family run business and this goes a long way in explaining the wonderful atmosphere in the restaurant.
The decoration is unique and really beautiful, with all the tapestries, ornaments and tableware being from Russia. Everything is clearly looked after with love and care.
Our waiter for the evening was the son of the family. He was very knowledgeable about the food and wine. His service was excellent. He was polite and attentive without being intrusive. We happened to be there on a quiet night and we were left to enjoy our meal without being hovered over.
We had never tried Russian cuisine before so didn't quite know what to expect but we certainly weren't disappointed. The food was delicious and we'll presented. The highlights of the meal were the chicken in walnut and garlic sauce starter and the wild boar main course. The portions were generous and we didn't have room for dessert! We also particularly enjoyed the wine, which was a Georgian red and very smooth.
Our meal cost £65 for two courses and a bottle of wine. We thought this was very reasonable considering the quality and quantity of what we were given. The family clearly love what they do and you will be made to feel like a welcome guest in their home. We stay in the Forest of Dean as we love the area. We have now found another reason to go back.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank smiler109
england
“Great food great beer great all round!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Had a sensational meal of a special Russian delicacy, it was fabulous my better half enjoyed her 'best ever Russian experience and cannot find better in the uk, I was told. the wines were plentiful and the food superb in every aspect, such beautiful taste to the dishes, love how the owner Gordon, was able to tell us the story of the foods we picked, best service I have ever had from the food to the wine from the waiter. If you ever fancied a Russian gauntlet of beautifully served food and best selections of wines then I recommend the Swan Lake. Surrounds beautiful and the location is so picturesque. Highly recommend this magnificent restaurant with genuine Russian plates and cutlery. 10/10.

• Visited June 2013
Glos
“A great night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Excellent service, great food and a very friendly atmosphere. We found this place by chance and would recommend it to everyone.

• Visited June 2013
Coleford, England, United Kingdom
“something totally different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

lucky to chose a night when we were the only customers which was very unusual as its known to be packed but it was great the owner served us and with each dish came a story so we knew the background of the dish - the Russian starters were huge my smoked salmon was really lovely and my husbands Russian taster of pickles and vodka extremely different and surprisingly enjoyable main courses were cooked to perfection and all locally sourced - the house wine superb a Georgian red which was frutier and sweeter than any Ive tried before and although it lacked the atmosphere of a busy restaurant on the night we were there we were made to feel really welcome will definitely be back

• Visited May 2013