“Excellent place for a visit to the Wye Valley”
Review of The Sloop Inn

The Sloop Inn
The Sloop Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Llandogo B&B and Inns
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“Excellent place for a visit to the Wye Valley”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are all comfortable and en suite all with wifi
Food is great with excellent service and a lovely restaurant
The bar is homely and the locals are very friendly
All in all it's a lovely place to go for a long stay or a day out in the wye valley with ample parking and friendly staff

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went for an end of holiday meal. We were made very welcome, friendly service and very good food - BIG portions, freshly made, delicious. We managed to force a dessert down too...just! The staff were very helpful, attentive and answered questions on allergies very well. Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Witney, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We will be going back! Beautiful location great food and really friendly staff. The bed was a bit squeeky so we will be opting for the 4 poster next time. Breakfast was traditional and really good lot's of beautiful things to see near by we went tintern abbey and Monmouth for the day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
bedfordshire
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here before we began a canoe adventure in Monmouth..
We arrived quite late on the Friday evening latest check in was 22.30, and we arrived after 23hrs but they were quite accommodating, There is a car park opposite with free parking. The room was chilly but the owner was quick to point out the electric heater.. the room was very basic but it was clean an comfortable for a single night stay. Unfortunately we missed the breakfast because it started at 8.30 am and we left before 8am.. Overall it was a pleasant nights stay, and as I say it did the job!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Had planned to stay here on first night of my two day hike from Symmonds Yat East to Chepstow. Hadn't booked though so was closed when I got there - couldn't find bell but luckily I had smart phone and as they have free wifi I stood outside the front door, used it to get their number and phoned them up. Peter the proprietor came down and took me up to a comfy double room, and as I was a bit damp and chilly told me how to get the electric heater going. After hanging all things soggy over it I had a lovely hot shower in the en suit, then went downstairs and ordered my dinner, got a pint of cider and sat in the comfy chair set right beside the log fire - bliss!
Dinner was a very generous and heartwarming cottage pie with veg and another half of cider. Then got talking to a local called Dave who had a most obedient border collie sitting with him, I explained that I was doing the Wye Valley Walk down to Chepstow and he kindly asked if I'd like a lift in the morning back up the hill to the path where he usually went to walk his dog. I gladly accepted as it had been bad enough walking down to the village and I hadn't particularly been looking forward to the accent. So ordered an early breakfast with the bar lady as Peter the landlord was busy calling numbers for the local bingo in the back restaurant section of the pub, and went to bed.
Woke up and went down for breakfast which was also very generous, back upstairs to pack, paid, and then went across the road to find Dave's camper van.

All in all a most enjoyable stay ... No frills - but room was comfy and warm, shower was hot, food was inexpensive well made and generous and the locals were extremely friendly!

Could do with a front door bell (or if there is one I didn't see it could be in a more obvious place).

Room Tip: I stayed in a double at the front and was a bit worried about passing traffic noise from road, but w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Have eaten here on and off for more than 20 years, third time under the new owners.

Food is very good quality, with 'proper' sized portions, at great prices. Children's menu has a lot of choice, although their portions were so big my two couldn't finish them!

Very friendly service too.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We arrived at The Sloop Inn about 6 after walking almost 8 hours in the rain from Chepstow. But when we got there we couldn't get anyone to let us in for at least 10 minutes despite knocking on the door while standing in the rain. We were just getting ready to call them when someone came to let us in. The rooms vary a lot here. One is huge and with a great view, another is quite small with no view. But the beds were comfortable and the shower, although small, had good hot water. The food was simple but fresh, and the pub had a nice atmosphere with darts and a pool table, catering both to locals and tourists. There were no local beers available, or not when we were there. Breakfast was fine, although the sausage was not the best.

Room Tip: Look at what is available before you choose.
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeanfrombos2n
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandogo
Best Western Royal George Hotel
Parva Farmhouse Riverside Guesthouse
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Monmouth
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
The First Hurdle Guest House
Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow

Been to The Sloop Inn? Share your experiences!