“Basic but did the job”

The Sloop Inn
The Sloop Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Llandogo B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here before we began a canoe adventure in Monmouth..
We arrived quite late on the Friday evening latest check in was 22.30, and we arrived after 23hrs but they were quite accommodating, There is a car park opposite with free parking. The room was chilly but the owner was quick to point out the electric heater.. the room was very basic but it was clean an comfortable for a single night stay. Unfortunately we missed the breakfast because it started at 8.30 am and we left before 8am.. Overall it was a pleasant nights stay, and as I say it did the job!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Sloop Inn

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Had planned to stay here on first night of my two day hike from Symmonds Yat East to Chepstow. Hadn't booked though so was closed when I got there - couldn't find bell but luckily I had smart phone and as they have free wifi I stood outside the front door, used it to get their number and phoned them up. Peter the proprietor came down and took me up to a comfy double room, and as I was a bit damp and chilly told me how to get the electric heater going. After hanging all things soggy over it I had a lovely hot shower in the en suit, then went downstairs and ordered my dinner, got a pint of cider and sat in the comfy chair set right beside the log fire - bliss!
Dinner was a very generous and heartwarming cottage pie with veg and another half of cider. Then got talking to a local called Dave who had a most obedient border collie sitting with him, I explained that I was doing the Wye Valley Walk down to Chepstow and he kindly asked if I'd like a lift in the morning back up the hill to the path where he usually went to walk his dog. I gladly accepted as it had been bad enough walking down to the village and I hadn't particularly been looking forward to the accent. So ordered an early breakfast with the bar lady as Peter the landlord was busy calling numbers for the local bingo in the back restaurant section of the pub, and went to bed.
Woke up and went down for breakfast which was also very generous, back upstairs to pack, paid, and then went across the road to find Dave's camper van.

All in all a most enjoyable stay ... No frills - but room was comfy and warm, shower was hot, food was inexpensive well made and generous and the locals were extremely friendly!

Could do with a front door bell (or if there is one I didn't see it could be in a more obvious place).

Room Tip: I stayed in a double at the front and was a bit worried about passing traffic noise from road, but w...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Have eaten here on and off for more than 20 years, third time under the new owners.

Food is very good quality, with 'proper' sized portions, at great prices. Children's menu has a lot of choice, although their portions were so big my two couldn't finish them!

Very friendly service too.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We arrived at The Sloop Inn about 6 after walking almost 8 hours in the rain from Chepstow. But when we got there we couldn't get anyone to let us in for at least 10 minutes despite knocking on the door while standing in the rain. We were just getting ready to call them when someone came to let us in. The rooms vary a lot here. One is huge and with a great view, another is quite small with no view. But the beds were comfortable and the shower, although small, had good hot water. The food was simple but fresh, and the pub had a nice atmosphere with darts and a pool table, catering both to locals and tourists. There were no local beers available, or not when we were there. Breakfast was fine, although the sausage was not the best.

Room Tip: Look at what is available before you choose.
Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeanfrombos2n
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We made a trip from Caridff to Tintern Abbey today which was great. When we finished we were a bit peckish & decided to get some lunch. The pubs opposite the Abbey was very busy so we decided to drive further down the road to look for something. We came across The Sloop Inn. Out came my phone to check the food hygiene rating (getting obsessed with this) .... no need, they've got it displayed in their window ... a great score of 4 out of 5.

We went in, ordered drinks & were given the lunch menu. I had the burger which was huge, freshly made, tasty & juicy. It was topped with THE MOST AMAZING onion rings I have ever had the pleasure to eat. On the side, a nice salad, sweet chilli sauce & proper homemade cruncy chips. My partner had the lasagna with the same amazing chips & salad. Has to be said, this is pub grub at it's best. No frozen microwaved rubbish. Just good honest food. I just wish it was closer to where we live so I could become a regular!!! Staff were very friendly too.

Brilliant!!! Keep up the good work. Hopefully we'll join you soon to sample your Sunday lunch.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chelseabun01
Reviewed May 6, 2012

This review is of the restaurant, not the accommodations.
The restaurant at Tintern Abbey was closed when we were visiting so we went in search of food elsewhere. Luckily we ended up at The Sloop Inn. We were traveling with our dog and one of the things we were looking for was a place that would welcome her too. It was a chilly day so a place that would allow us to be inside and warm while we enjoyed our meal was most appealing.

The decor is fairly plain. It appears to be more a pub that serves food than a restaurant. Don't let that put you off. I didn't harbor high hopes that the food would be all that great. I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The menu is small but they also have daily specials. Every dish we ordered was fantastic.

From our one visit I can highly recommend the Burgers - piled high with onion rings and served with hand cut chunky chips, the gammon and eggs, the lasagna and stuffed chicken breast with mushroom sauce and chips. The onion rings and chips at this restaurant/pub are what every other establishment should strive for!

The Sloop offers great value for a quality home cooked meal. We look forward to visiting again on our next visit to Wales.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Nothing is too much trouble.
Meals lovely
Prices from basic bar meals to duck al'orange all inexpensive.
Lovely staff
Promt service

Room Tip: We did not stay here. We stayed at a B&B close by. But wish we had stayed. The staff were so fri...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandogo
Best Western Royal George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Monmouth
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clearwell

Been to The Sloop Inn? Share your experiences!