We were a bit nervous of repeating a successful family holiday but the whole family enjoyed our week this August even more than last year. A week wasn't long enough and we all were sad to leave.
We repeated the cycling, canyoning, rafting from last year but added new experiences with zipwiring, new walks and outdoor & indoor swimming (in new pools from last year).
The Simply Morzine staff were a mixture of new and familiar faces and all, without exception, friendly and helpful - not too 'in your face' but always there when needed and providing a degree of care that always felt personal and never a box-ticking exercise. Each member of staff had different skills and experience but they felt to us like a team who were determined to make sure that everyone enjoyed their stay as much as possible. When the situation called for them to go that extra mile they did with good humour and boundless patience.
As we have three boys (14, 12 and 10) with different levels of energy the Simply Morzine flexibility & choice of daily activities allows for mix and matching. Good weather was a bonus but a lot of the activities would have been just as fun in the rain.
What was better this year?
1. The major improvement was the new covered outdoor dining space on the first floor. This meant that each evening meal was a relaxed event with the gathering twilight always changing the view of the mountains around you.
2. The food was even better than last year - less cream & more flavour with a spectacular midweek bbq and the best onion bhaji on the last evening. There was always a good supply of fresh fruit in the fruit bowl and a delicious cake to look forward to in the afternoon.
3. There seemed to better integration with the chalet and hotel guests next door so that there was a larger group of children for our boys to hang out with rather than their 'embarrassing' parents.
4. The overall costs of the holiday were the same as last year (when all spending was taken into account). It's not cheap but it did feel like improved value for money.
5. The average age of the children on our week was a little older than last year which was a better fit (and obviously complete luck). It was fun to have a family from the States in the chalet with us rather than being an all Brit affair. In our experience, if our children are active and happy then it makes for a much more relaxing time all round.
What could be improved?
1. The bycycling is quite extreme which is great for experienced riders but a beginners introduction would be a good addition.
2. Breakfast is finished at 9am. An extra half an hour would feel more like a luxurious lie-in!
3. There are loads of additional activities on offer in and around Morzine and although the Morzine Visitors Centre is impressive it's quite difficult to navigate through what's on offer, particularly in the excitement of arrival. Maybe a simple weekly guide along the lines of 'You might also like to do this...' sent with the initial information.
All in all, we can't recommend this holiday enough. It's not a quiet, romantic, ultra-luxurious getaway but a family chalet holiday in the traditional sense of fun, laughter, friendship and many happy memories. Simply Morzine made it this way and we're very grateful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simply Morzine's privately-owned flagship Chalet des Montagnes is one of Morzine’s finest chalets. The chalet is perfectly located in Morzine; on the piste with stunning panoramic views yet an easy 10-minute walk from the resort centre. The chalet operates on a catered basis in both the summer and winter seasons. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Simply Morzine - Chalet Des Montagnes Hotel Morzine-Avoriaz