“Wonderful hotel - all you could ask for!”
Review of Hotel le Petit Dru

and 1 more site!
Hotel le Petit Dru
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Morzine
Reviewed February 24, 2013

So, this was my second trip to the Hotel le Petit Dru in Morzine. Last time - a girly get-together, this time, (a year later) I bought my husband and two boys aged 12 and 10, my mum and dad, my sister and her boyfriend. Obviously I bought them to this hotel because I had been so impressed the last time. It didn't disappoint. My parents, sister and her boyfriend all thought it was wonderful. Not only were the staff FANTASTIC (they were the same staff I remembered from the previous year) the hotel again was SO clean, and had everything you could possibly need. The beds were unbelievably comfortable - which is very necessary after a day on piste. The jacuzzi and sauna room were fabulous and helped to ease any aches and pains too. The food was excellent in the restaurant and breakfast was fabulous too. The staff were so helpful and catered for my dad who needs a gluten free diet - he was very impressed. Nothing was too much trouble. The ski hire was great too. If you book through the hotel's website and have skis delivered, the guy from Intersport Morzine comes to le Petit Dru in the evening at about 6pm to kit you all up - so you are ready for a day on piste the following morning. He was also really helpful and we had a really good laugh with him despite our bad french - we got there though! We can't wait to come again to this hotel. Morzine is wonderfully quaint and the people are so helpful. My mum and dad are in their 70's and were blown away (as I was) by the sheer beauty of the place. Also - the snow was awesome - the most snow I've ever seen! :)

Room Tip: We had rooms overlooking Morzine and the church. Spectacular!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Petit Dru is an unusually designed family run hotel perched on the side of a hill on the outskirts of Morzine village centre. You enter reception on the top floor and work your way down through the restaurant and then to the bedrooms so it's kind of upside down. We were on the ground floor which gave us easy access through the rear to the village itself. We were skiing and whilst it would be possible to walk to the lifts i wouldn't advise doing so with equipment. It's a good 15/20 minute walk. Much better to use the frequent ski bus which stops nor far from the reception entrance upstairs. Top tip: if you're intending to ski Avoriaz take the A bus over the road in the opposite direction to the Prodain lift. It's much quicker than the Super Morzine in town.

I must compliment the level of service. One of the owners dropped us off in his car at the hire shop on our first day FOC which was nice but also sorted out our flat car battery for us dealing directly with the rental company. A very nice touch and all done with charm.

The half board was excellent with a very hearty buffet breakfast with all the usual fare and unusually bacon and eggs (you cook your own eggs). The possibility of bacon butties is always a plus with me. The four course evening meal and wine selection were also impressive and the waiting staff helpful and friendly.

The bedroom was spacious with very comfortable beds and a modern bathroom actually with a bath. I'm always disappointed to discover there's only a shower. One negative; with a large British clientele there should be at least one English language channel on the TV. BBC World/CNN perhaps?

The public areas are very spacious with plenty of comfortable seating and a large well stocked bar. A good sized swimming pool (part inside) adjoins the restaurant.All very nice.

Hotel Petit Dru is well worth considering should you be looking for somewhere reasonably priced in the Morzine area. I doubt you would be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Seacombe
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Spent 4 nights with group of friends (booked through Ski Weekends). Staff friendly and courteous (and quite french), room warm clean and comfortable. Sauna very welcome after day on slopes. You do need to get a bus to either Prodain for Avoriaz (and the rest of the PDS) or the town centre for the Pleny lift (for local pistes and Les Gets). Inter sport can sort ski hire in the Hotel itsself from their basement and there was supposedly a 25% discount for booking through the Hotel (though I don't think ski-weekends knew about that as I think it's their first season using this site). Breakfast was extensive and generous, evening meals limited in choice but very good quality. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I couldn't agree more with the more recent review of this hotel by Peedee1955. We went as a family of 7 for a week at the end of Jan 2013.

The map on their website suggests that the main Pleney lift is closer than it is. You have to get the bus A from outside the hotel and it's a 5 minute ride through the town. With 5 beginner skiers, it was a significant mistake and most of our party were quite tired with having to get on and off very crowded buses. And those buses were the old style school coaches, which meant steep steps and little room between the seats for our skis and poles. The hotel didn't salt the steep drive leading to the main road, which meant getting to and from the bus was quite treacherous. This meant them straining in our boots, which consequently led to less energy for ski school.

There is a rear entrance at the hotel which is located by taking the lift down to level 0 (which makes the first stretch of shops about c.2 minutes walk from the hotel), but that exit through the car park was also quite steep and smeared in black ice which the hotel failed to salt at any time during our stay.

The evening food was very poor and our bill at the end of the week was nearly €1000 for eating there 3 times and some bar drinks. I can't stress enough how poor the food was; all heavily salted or battered vegetables and cheap cuts of meat. I mean it, I could hardly swallow it.

The swimming pool was cold for the first three days of our stay, as was the jacuzzi. Apparently there were faults with both but at no point at the end of the stay did the owner suggest a reduction in our bill to reflect the lack of available facilities.

The rooms are fine but the bed themselves are too narrow and not particularly comfortable. Certainly not even close to the sort of beds you might expect at a 4* hotel.

The water pressure in the showers was good, the water guards on the side of the baths were not and meant the bathroom floors often flooded.

The pool table had a roll on it.

On a lighter note, the ski room was splendid, as was the hotel dog, Galline.

Very little service to speak of, and as the previous reviewer suggested, the lady on the reception was utterly disinterested. We couldn't find the good restaurants in town and she didn't help much. As a note, L'Atielier in the centre of town was the best, a bit of fine dining and not too pricey. Have the beef, not the lamb.

With the hassle of taking the bus to and from the slopes, I wanted a taxi. I couldn't get one anywhere in the whole town, and for neither the run to or from Pleney.

Pleney itself was fine, the main bubble lift was quick and up at the top, the Bass ski school was well organised and the reps very patient and helpful. However, as you emerge from the bubble, the main lessons are conducted 50 meters up to your left up a steep slope towards a carpet lift. There is no left to take you up to this meeting point, which meant I had to lift one of my daughters on my back to avoid her stressing her legs before she had started her lesson. Poorly designed.

Otherwise, Morzine is a lovely town but I've had better. The slopes around Pleney and beyond were superb.

Meribel and others like it are better designed for my money.

As for Le Petit Dru, it should be a 3* and I would stay closer to the main lift and town if I had my time again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Andrewmarshy
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Le Petit Dru for a week at the end of December / beginning of January and our experience was very mixed. On the plus side the location is great, ski bus stops almost outside and it's quick to get into Morzine & Avoriaz and an easy walk into Morzine too for evenings out. The local Intersport shop has a small outlet in the hotel which is open in the morning and evening and makes sorting skis etc at the beginning and end of the holiday really easy. On the down side, the food was just atrocious - there are no hot breakfast options on the buffet unless you want to fry yourself an egg on what is virtually a single camping gaz set up, and not even a toaster, ridiculous for a hotel of this size - we had a better breakfast in a simple Mercure on the way to Morzine!. Dinner most nights was very poor, tasteless or over salted food. Dried up chicken livers was one less than memorable starter. My wife is allergic to fish / seafood so when it was on the menu as a course the only other option on offer was cold meats, and that was the same every time! Considering the French pride themselves on their food whoever runs the kitchen in Le Petit Dru obviously has no talent. In fact when we stayed there were many other guests complaining about the food, apparently culminating in a meeting in the kitchens with the staff as the serving staff were getting very embarrased having to field so many complaints. Patrice, who I think is the head waiter, was a gem, always smiling and apologising but he shouldn't have to if the kitchens had an ounce of talent. One night so much food went back that they ended up cooking a load of chips and chicken nuggets for the guests as otherwise we were all going hungry. My recommendation is book bed and breakfast only and eat out in town until they get someone who knows how to cook installed. One other bit of poor feedback is the hotel owners wife, she looks after reception in the evening and is an unsmiling unwelcoming and unhelpful individual. Our last night there my son was unwell (as were many guests - apparently a bug in the hotel, just to top it all off!) and I went to reception to ask for assistance in clearing up - it was apparent she was not interested in doing anything to help at all - it took a lot of hassling to finally be given some ripped up towels and an old plastic tub and left to get on with it - absolutely no sympathy. Finally, as we left the hotel, the owner dealt with our bill and not one question of "did you enjoy your stay" - I suspect he was fed up with asking the question and getting a response he did not like to hear. This hotel may have been good once upon a time but they are trading on history, the kitchen needs urgently sorting out and the generally tired look of the place needs some investment.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Peedee1955
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights and had brilliant time. My husband is a wheelchair user and they were very accomodating. Although it is a steep drive and walk down to Morzine village. Lovely pool, sauna, steam and jacuzzi. Food was great and good value. Staff were fantastic, very helpful.
Location is ok, Bus A takes you to Morzine or it is a 10/15min walk to pleney lift. Would definitely stay again and fully recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 4, 2013

A very comfortable hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Pool and jacuzzi were a welcome addition as were the Hamman and Sauna. Didn't try the spa treatments. Food was excellent and portions...generous (not the word my son suggested!). We had a boys weekend based here and had a wonderful time.
The ski bus stopped outside the hotel, one direction to Morzine, dropped off at the lift, the other direction to Avoriaz. Hard to fault to access some wonderful skiing.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family