“BASS ski school has transformed my kid's ski-ing”

British Alpine Ski School
Ranked #2 of 40 things to do in Morzine
More attraction details
Owner description: BASS Morzine & Les Gets is a snowsports school and instructor training centre based in the French alps. We have established a reputation for excellence through the exceptional quality of our group sessions, private lessons and long term training provided in English language to small, personal groups. We operate in the resorts of Morzine, Les Gets and Avoriaz in the huge Portes Du Soleil. Out of European winters we deliver courses in UK snow centres and glacier resorts such as Stubai and Les Deux Alpes.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“BASS ski school has transformed my kid's ski-ing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

My kids started their ski school experience with ESF & hated it. They moved over to BASS and loved every minute - they couldn't wait for the lessons. Every instructor they have had has been fun, and clearly know how to deal with kids (small competitive boys in my case). Both my children now ski beautifully down pretty much any slope, on & off-piste. My only problem now is that I can't keep up with them. A big thank you to Becs and her team.

London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Superb Ski Instruction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife and I are of different ski levels; this was my wife's 4th week of skiing on snow, whereas I had skied as a child come back to the sport as an adult and had not taken lessons since resuming it.
I was impressed by how much the instructors wanted to know what outcome a client wanted to achieve by using BASS, balanced with what an Instructor's assesment of a client's ski-level/experience and the outcome that could be achieved . This was very much a demeanour which worked for my wife and I. What I found particularly attractive was the tempo; by having three lessons each of three hours on alternate days, allows you to practise the elements which the Instructors provide clients at the end of each lesson. This also avoids the feeling of being constantly instructed and enabling you to enjoy skiing; which is ultimately the reason.
The class sizes were very good too; normally the maximum is for 6 in class which is about the optimum when combining commercial and learning experience factors. We benefitted from both our classes being smaller than this; sadly due to other clients being unable to attend due to injury. My wife's class started with 3 and ended being 2 (including herself). My class was meant to be 4 but ultimately there were only 3 of us; all seeking similar outcomes.
BASS has an impressive range of classes to accommodate a range of abilities. My wife attended the "Approaching Parallel" class which imporved her technique and boosted her confidence significantly; to the extent that by the end of the week she was skiing very confidently indeed and comfortably using parallel. Her instructor, James, did a fantastic job, particularly given that the other lady was a significantly less competent skier. Clearly the lady had paid for her lessons and it would not have been practical to reduce the class size any further.
I attended the "Perfecting Parallel" class with Jon Dunn; it was excellent. His knowledge of skiing is extremely impressive and he shares this with clients with superb patience and understanding. By the end of the week I was a far more confident skier and felt that I had far more control than I had had at the beginning of the week. He asks each client what you want to achieve from each lesson and skilfully marries the needs and aims of each client in the class to achieve the outcomes.I would definitely want Jon as an instructor again.
All in all, I will use BASS again and, if I go back to Morzine (we normally ski at Tignes/Val d'Isere), I will certainly do my best to be instructed by Jon Dunn.

West Sussex
“Les Gets BASS 1/1 and Childrens Ski Lessons - Top!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I booked one individual 1/1 lesson and a course of 5 2-hour lessons for our 7 year old. The 1/1 lesson with Scott provided me with exactly what I needed: tips on technique and confidence in my ability (to keep up with 7 year old!). We could not keep our daughter off the slopes even in the rain! She loved her lessons, also with Scott, and improved in technique and confidence during the week. I really liked that her class was 6 students and there was an additional adult working with Scott so there was always one in front and one at the back of the class (to pick up the pieces ;o) 2 hours was a perfect length of time for little legs.

Hove, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“BASS Morzine - Private Lessons”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Overall very good experience. The instructors were all very accomplished (Craig, Marc, Andy) and were able to cope with my wife & daughters zero experience. My only criticism was a slight lack of cohesion between the three as we changed from one instructor to the next. To be fair, this could have been avoided had we booked the private lessons with a single instructor, but by the time we got around to booing, the slots were not available. My advice - book early!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Jaz L, Owner at British Alpine Ski School, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Hi Aiden,

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate what you say about continuity from one teacher to another. Booking early really does make a difference as we are more likely to be able to offer exactly what you need.

We are a small, specialist team with small groups so we reach capacity quickly.

We already have enquiries for next winter on the system and the holiday periods fill very early so do drop us a line as soon as you have confirmed travel dates.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Jaz
Leeds
“BASS Morzine 2014 - Private lessons for children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

An excellent company to deal with. They are professional with the booking
and the instructor we had for our 6 & 4 yr olds (Craig) was fantastic. Thoroughly recommended.