“Fantastic”

Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Le Pontet
“Fantastic”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We found this hotel on Tripadvisor whilst driving up from Portugal to England. What a find!!

This is a true five star experience, the restaurant, staff and rooms were all amazing. We will definitely put this on our list to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at this boutique 5 star hotel outside of Avignon. The grounds are beautiful. The garden is manicured & lovely. The spa is fantastic with an indoor pool & fabulous steam & sauna. The restaurant is Michelin standard & the food is delicious. The service is great & the front desk very helpful & at tentative. It's located 15 min from Avignon by car. Parking is free. Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank ChefManuelo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The drive up to the Hotel is at best unimpressive - with a dreary almost tired exterior and in a middle class suburban environment with schools around it! The location was a fantastic one for us to use it as a base to visit the Chateauneuf-de-Pape, Avignon and other surrounding areas.

In the hotel, we were warmly greeted and made welcome. The staff were very friendly and English speaking. As a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World, our room was upgraded to a suite which was very good. The room was large with a sitting area, good separate toilet, double sink bathroom with separate shower from bath and a sun drenched balcony that included a table and chairs. The room was clean and well maintained during the seven days that we stayed there. The decor was shabby sheek (rather than saying chic) in some ways.

The hotel is well appointed especially in the dining and amenities areas. The restaurant after a somewhat aloof/snobby slow start ended up being the best feature of the stay. The dinner food was fantastic quality and interest with a legendary wine list and a cheese trolley to fall in love with (see photo). The staff at dinner and breakfast were great (again after a slow start), with impressive memories of food allergies and preferences.

The outdoor pool was good and indoor pool with an against the current swim was great. We used the well appointed gym (even without a rowing machine), but had to ask for the air conditioning to be turned on as it was connected to the indoor pool area.

We intend to visit again in spite of the somewhat expensive (about 300 Euros per night) stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite upgrade
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ascott150
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Beautiful countryside quiet retreat. The grounds were beautiful. Staff was very nice. Restaurant was excellent for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Rooms were nicely appointed and large however bed was extremely uncomfortable. We also had an issue with Mosquitos, which was quite annoying. Housekeeping came and we found a plug in but it really didn't do anything. Pool was very nice.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Lovely and nicely decorated small hotel around Avignon. It is great place for quiet retreat. Staff are helpful and their restaurant in the courtyard is also nice especially during late summer or early autumn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miaohk
Dublin
Reviewed August 24, 2013

When we first drove up to this hotel we were both disappointed. It looks tired and down-market and is in a weird suburban neighborhood, across from a soccer field which might be part of a school. Once we went in to the hotel we were relieved. It had a more welcoming feeling once we were in it, and the front desk staff were very friendly and English speaking. Our room was upgraded which was great. We were given a big room with a jacuzzi bathtub and a sun drenched balcony that had a little table and chairs. I liked our room but my husband thought it was dated.

The best part of this hotel is the ammenities and the food. The indoor pool with a swimming current was a great luxury, as was the hottub. We didn't use the outdoor pool but it looked big and welcoming. I had an amazing lavendar massage in the spa which was very memorable.

My favorite part of our stay in this hotel was the gourmet dinner we had in the restaurant. It was Michelin quality and the service was impeccable. The owner came over to introduce himself as did the chef's wife. Both were lovely people. The food was to die for, especially the cheese cart with the most impressive selection of cheeses I've ever seen.

I would go back to this hotel if for no other reason than to take a swim in that pool, get another lavendar massage and then have that sumptuous dinner all over again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dgelbard
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our tour group stayed in this hotel in April, and I was very disappointed that this property was not closer to town. I imagine that if you were looking for a location outside of town that was private, and if you had a car this would be more enjoyable, but as a solo traveler I like to explore town and the shops, and feel like I am in a foreign destination. The location of the hotel made me feel like I was in a hideaway, and I could have been anywhere in the world in this private garden-like setting. The surrounding area is really not pretty and does not draw you out to explore, and town is approximately a 10-15 minute drive.

The restaurant at the hotel is lovely and the meal was good, and the gardens are small with a indoor and outdoor pool area and spa, including massage services. I was so bored I decided to have a massage, which was wonderful, of course. Making lemonade out of lemons, in my mind.

The first room they gave me was on the first floor and one of the "renovated" rooms. I found it to be VERY cave-like, dark and depressing, with only a small window. I asked to be moved and my tour director accommodated my request and switched rooms with me, and this room was on the second floor, and the kind of room that I am more accustomed to, although rather average overall. It did have a large sliding glass door with a nice balcony.

Overall I would have much preferred a clean 2-3 star hotel in the center of town, rather than this country resort-type hotel on the outskirts of town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
#8 of 69 in Avignon
Avignon Grand Hotel
Avignon Grand Hotel
#13 of 69 in Avignon

Been to Auberge de Cassagne & Spa? Share your experiences!