“A poor, overpriced affair. Basic rooms, NOT self-catering.”

Appart'City Confort Cannes Le Cannet
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Le Cannet
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A poor, overpriced affair. Basic rooms, NOT self-catering.”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'm not really a fan of busy, idiosyncratic Cannes myself (though I don't mind La Bocca), and may prefer to stay in Le Cannet if in this part of the world. But I wouldn't return to this hotel.

The strong points seem to be that the swimming pool is nice, there seems to be a highly regarded restaurant (though I didn't get to try it), the area is really nice and quiet with greenery views and the location is excellent for the old, artisan quarter of Le Cannet itself. That's a few minutes' or so walk away, and the excellent Bonnard gallery (dedicated to that man) is a few minutes further. Buses to and from Cannes centre are frequent and go close to the hotel and are easy to get to.

The real problems were with the accommodation. Starting with the name - the "park", I can't grumble, there are little bits of gardens that aren't really park like or well maintained gardens, but you can go for a quick walk around and sit there in quiet (no-one goes near it). It's OK actually, but the name is pretentious for this.

The next bit of the name is where everything falls down - "suites". The room for one person I stayed in I thought was a nice, large room. No problem, if that's what's advertised. My impressions were, I liked the room it was a good standard 2 star to lower 3 star room, spacious, comfortable, heating good as Le Cannet gets cold even just after summer in the evenings. However, there was no seating in the large room but for the hard desk chair. Also, the console desk was very thin indeed, fitting a flat TV at one part and not much more, and this was the only real platform in the whole, large room.

However, the hotel calls itself "Park and Suites" but the room was nothing of a suite. My booking said it was a self-catering apartment. I think all of the rooms, or nearly all are like this. I think what they've done is mis-sold the whole place, or most of it. Pictures of any room I saw were the same as the one I was given.

It was just a hotel room. In one corner there was a really basic, one star cabinet which they'd stuck a small, cheap microwave on top of, and there was a sink and a tiny fridge within the cabinet area (necessary). I don't know if the sink had drinking water. The microwave wasn't a combination oven - no grill, oven or hotplates anywhere in the room. If you were going to make dinner or something there wasn't even any space in the kitchen "suite" area to cut and make it, forgetting that there's nothing proper to cook it on.

Then, as I said, in this so-called apartment or suite, you can't even sit and eat, say even if you have a pizza or pasta or Asian meal delivered. There is no dining table. There is no food preparation space. The little console desk part could barely be eaten at by one person, a dinner plate would hardly fit. *** If there were any dinner plates!!! There weren't. There were no plates, bowls, knives, forks, spoons, cups or utensils. There were a couple of glasses in the room, though.

Though the standard price for a room I believe was over 100 Euros at this time of year, for one night, I saw you had to pay 20 or 25 Euros extra --- per night --- for a few plates, bowls, knives, forks and so on.

I don't know who would, however, because I don't know what on earth you would do with them. If you are going to go to a supermarket and buy a ready meal, a TV dinner, and then microwave it, I suppose you need something to eat it on, and with. But are you going to pay that rate per night for your microwaved meal?

Again, even if you could prepare (you can't) and cook (you can't) a meal in the "apartment", there is no table to eat it at (console against the wall not wide enough). I suppose if two people had been staying in the room there would may have been two of the hard chairs, but still no dining table there.

I either made salads, getting food from the little grocers store nearby, or ate out in Le Cannet. Cooking in that room was the last thing I would have attempted. I haven't used a microwave for years now, anyway, since I was told important health information about what microwaving food can do.

In short: for the large 2 star room and swimming pool, a standard price of 90 to 130 Euros per room per night would not be worth it. But there's nothing else really there. The restaurant was really quiet or empty, and it seemed catered mostly to locals anyway, that I saw.

However, again, that price is supposed to be for a self catering place. This was no suite, no apartment, no studio apartment. There was no possibility of self catering without paying a lot more per night, but only for salads or packaged TV dinners.

I actually think of this place, as it was last year anyway, as quite a scam.

It's clean, the ensuite bathroom was very good and toiletries great. I had a nice massage at good value in the hotel's massage rooms during my stay. The bedroom was large. The view was nice. But it's just a 2 star basic room hotel and nothing of a self-catering place or suites place. Nothing at all. It's a complete categorical error.

During my stay I saw a couple who had a very young baby which they were carrying around in a carry cot. I guessed they had booked specifically because of the description of self-catering suites or appartments and I imagined that many people coming here would be looking for that, or NEED it, and be very annoyed indeed.

Personally, I didn't mind too much not self catering. I love salads, and actually would have preferred to eat out more, but I was tired and missed lunch times and so on, and as a vegetarian, have much less choice of dining places.

But whether I minded or not is not the point. I was passing through the vicinity of Cannes and looking actually for a room rather than an apartment, at short notice. This is an expensive hotel at the accommodation rate plus utensils rate, and people will choose it for what it is advertised as, a self catering destination. It is not that, in my experience.

If it has changed, it needed to. If it hasn't, it needs to.

Also I had the room at the very front, above the reception, and there was noise and bright constant and flashing lights at all times of the night as cars came in and out of the hotel garage. I told the reception I was a frequent, severe migraine sufferer on the day I checked in, but, in a hotel that I knew had many unoccupied rooms, I was given that room. The side window didn't close, either, just above the garage, making things noisier and which would easily be a security problem. I felt bad leaving my laptop unsecured. The first floor side window couldn't be closed.

This hotel is a pretence. I don't recommend it at all.

I see there may be a sauna and Jacuzzi or small fitness room at some times here. It wasn't open during the season I was there, and all of summer to autumn 2013. I was told that when booking, and I personally booked through an agent at a reduced price. At the hotel's own price, there were no reductions though for these services not being included, and considering what's on offer as an "appartment", they would need to be offered for the prices charged here. I have checked at other times when I didn't stay, though, and the leisure services weren't offered then, either. Appparently they exist in a few basement rooms, but they just weren't opened for a long time.

Worth avoiding.

Room Tip: My request got me the worst type of room for my request, so I don't think there's any advice...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We were in Cannes for the Lions and needed a hotel that was comfortable, close to the Palais and reasonably priced. The Elegance exceeded all expectations. It's not a luxury hotel but the location is 10 mins by bus to the Palais or 5 mins in a cab. The staff were incredibly accommodating and helpful. Couldn't recommend more for Cannes on a budget, especially during the festivals when everywhere else is overpriced even for luxury..

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank damiancollier
London
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have now stayed at this hotel twice - about a decade apart but most recently in May 2012 for the Cannes Film Festival. On the plus side the hotel is in a quiet and safe area in Le Cannet, whhich itself has some nice shops and bakeries. You can walk to the centre of Cannes in about 30 minutes but the walk back is a bit of a schlep as it is all uphill. The hotel runs a shuttle service during the festival but I'm not sure about the rest of the year. There is a nice pool and restaurant and the rooms are nice, clean and spacious enough - with terraces or balconies and the staff are all helpful and polite.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dungdeane
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel with my fiancee for a 7 night stay. From our 1st night until last, we had a wonderful experience with the hotel. The rooms are great if you want to go self catering,as we did, as they contain a kitchenette & we loved eating on the balcony each day with a great view of Cannes and the sea. Parking for a week is discounted at 30 euro. We were not fluent French speakers but had no issues with staff. Good sized rooms. Great location. This hotel sits in the old village of Le Cannet so no tourist vibe and close proximity to local bakers is great for fresh food! only 20 minutes on a bus or 10 minutes in a car from Cannes & is a great base for day trips to Monaco etc. Overall very enjoyable stay, we both agreed we would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank dinnydev
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights there on a family trip to south of France, the hotel is quite off the coast so you need to take a bus (don't even think about taking your car to the beach, parking is a pain down there and is extreamely expensive... but the bus is conveninet, the hotel is good but not great, offering good size rooms and an expensive breakfast which doesn't worth it, the parking is paied and the wifi is almost useless so don't go for it...
the staff are polite and helpful.
The swiming pool was cold and on the shade most of the day so couldn't enjoy it...
But we didn't pay too much (compare to the normal price in the area so no complains)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank T0r0nt0B0y
Romania
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Very quiet location, very clean, close to Cannes, to A8. More 4 stars hotel than 3 stars. Nice swimig pool. Private free parking. I recommed to everybody who want to visit french riviera.Close to Nice, Monte Carlo, Saint Tropez and great to come to sleep here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mirela28
Vayrac, France
Reviewed June 17, 2009

This was the second time we have stayed at the Rachel. It was just as good as last year. It's location is perfect for getting quickly (and cheaply, provided you avoid the extortionate taxi drivers) to Cannes. The No 1 bus regularly leaves the bus stop in Le Cannet 1 minute's walk from the hotel and for the princely sum of 1 euro takes you to the Hotel de Ville in Cannes by the old town and castle. The village of Le Cannet further up the hill (keep walking uphill!) is a delight and gives you great views of Cannes and the sea. The A8 Autoroute is not far away; so you can get to and from Nice airport in 25 minutes. The hotel has underground parking but book it before you arrive.

The staff are helpful. We had a problem accessing the internet which the receptionist sorted out quickly. The food at breakfast was better this time than last year. Our lunch was excellent value.

As before, the swimming pool was very welcoem after a day of sightseeing (or attending a wedding).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Novotel Suites Cannes Centre
Hotel Lune de Mougins
Hotel Lune de Mougins
#2 of 13 in Mougins

Been to Appart'City Confort Cannes Le Cannet? Share your experiences!