“Worth a visit”

Description: Facing the marina
London, UK
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I hadn't been to Dieppe for 20 years but much looked forward to lunch at one of the many seafood restaurants in the harbour. We visited on an extremely busy Sunday when there was a market going on opposite. The New Haven looked good and it was full of French families. They managed to squeeze us in and despite being busy, we found the service was good. I would have liked more choice of seafood - the seafood platter was only for two people but my mixed starter from the set menu of whelks, winkles, brown shrimps, large prawns and clams was good value. I followed this with a bowl of moules. My husband had the fish soup (good - as it should be!) and the trout. This was overcooked and rather dry. We then had the cheese - goat's cheese rather dry and an isle flottant very good.
The half bottle of wine wasn't quite cold enough but as we drank it quickly, that wasn't really a problem!
This a good value restaurant, very clean and obviously popular though I miss the displays of seafood you used to get that lured you in.

• Visited July 2012

• Polish first
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Why were we waiting?”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We visited this restaurant very recently, having read good reviews in various guides, but we were very disappointed by the service, or lack of it! The food, when it arrived was excellent, but having been seated on arrival we were then ignored totally for more than fifteen minutes until a passing waitress became aware of our lack of aperitifs and/or menus. It became obvious that the focus of staff's attention was on a large party of parents and children, to the detriment of other diners. We were later to wait again whilst others who had arrived after us were served before us. We have been eating in French restaurants for many years, mostly very enjoyably, but were bitterly disappointed by our experience at Le New Haven. Needless to say, we shall not return.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank ValerieB260807
East Sussex
“Consistently good”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This was a repeat visit to this excellent restaurant. My starter was so generous that I could have skipped the main course. I'm pleased that I didn't though because I enjoyed the cod with cream and apples.
Service good and wine is a reasonable price.

Visited June 2012
“Great value French bistro”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We ate the 22 euro menu - four courses including a cheese course of Neufchâtel. Smoked salmon starter good as was small shellfish platter, shellfish including whelks, winkles, brown shrimp, langoustine and cherry stone clams (amandes). Large shellfish platter included just one oyster, which was a bit mean. Plenty of bread. Main course of confit du canard and chips excellent. Duck fell off bone and chips thin and crisp. Pain Perdue for dessert excellent. A good value bottle of Muscadet. A decent, good value French bistro.

Worthing, United Kingdom
“great fish”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had a cod in cream and apples dish, superb. Food was fresh and hot

Visited April 2012